Professional Web Applications Themes

UDMA ICRC error - FreeBSD

Hello FreeBSD friends. I have read that others had this problem before. I just write this report for you to know. I received yesterday two old computers retired from a school and finally I was able to build a "decent" machine mixing the best parts of each one. The machine is an AMD K6 400 MHz with 64 MB RAM, AGP i740 video. Hard disk is Seagate ST34321A/3.05 master on ide0 bus. On ide1 bus there is a CD-R as master, and a CD-RW as slave. Disk controller is VIA 82C586B UDMA33. When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get ...

  1. #1

    Default UDMA ICRC error

    Hello FreeBSD friends.

    I have read that others had this problem before. I just write this
    report for you to know.

    I received yesterday two old computers retired from a school and finally
    I was able to build a "decent" machine mixing the best parts of each
    one. The machine is an AMD K6 400 MHz with 64 MB RAM, AGP i740 video.
    Hard disk is Seagate ST34321A/3.05 master on ide0 bus. On ide1 bus there
    is a CD-R as master, and a CD-RW as slave. Disk controller is VIA
    82C586B UDMA33.

    When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get some errors like this, but I could
    end the install:

    ad0: WARNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=5313599
    ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=84 >ICRC,ABORTED>
    spec_getpages:(ad0s1a) I/O read failure: (error=5) ................

    I have solved the problem disabling DMA:
    hw.ata.ata_dma="0"

    (I previously tried disabling ACPI with no success, and playing with
    BIOS LBA, LARGE, NORMAL settings at the BIOS with no success).

    Now ad0: works in PIO4 mode and everything is fine, previously , it was
    UDMA33. Now there are no errors.

    Should I investigate it further, or this is the only possible solution?
    Should I expect a great performance decreasing in I/O disk access?

    Thanks in advance.

    Ramiro.

    Ramiro Aceves Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: UDMA ICRC error

    Ramiro Aceves wrote:

    > I have read that others had this problem before. I
    > just write this report for you to know.
    >
    > When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get some errors
    > like this, but I could end the install:
    >
    > ad0: WARNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying
    > request) LBA=5313599
    > ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
    > error=84 >ICRC,ABORTED>
    > spec_getpages:(ad0s1a) I/O read failure: (error=5)
    >
    > I have solved the problem disabling DMA:
    > hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
    >
    > (I previously tried disabling ACPI with no success,
    > and playing with BIOS LBA, LARGE, NORMAL settings
    > at the BIOS with no success).
    >
    > Now ad0: works in PIO4 mode and everything is fine,
    > previously , it was UDMA33. Now there are no errors.
    There's you and me now. I have this problem with two
    of my PCs. I don't know yet of anybody else who has
    these problems.

    It's indeed a serious problem, but too few people
    running 5.3 seem to suffer from this.

    Have you tried with 4.11?
    I bet that would not generate these problems.

    Regards,
    Rob.

    [url]http://mail.[/url]
    Rob Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 06:31 -0800, Rob wrote:
    > Ramiro Aceves wrote:
    > >
    > > I have read that others had this problem before. I
    > > just write this report for you to know.
    > >
    > > When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get some errors
    > > like this, but I could end the install:
    > >
    > > ad0: WARNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying
    > > request) LBA=5313599
    > > ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
    > > error=84 >ICRC,ABORTED>
    > > spec_getpages:(ad0s1a) I/O read failure: (error=5)
    > >
    > > I have solved the problem disabling DMA:
    > > hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
    > >
    > > (I previously tried disabling ACPI with no success,
    > > and playing with BIOS LBA, LARGE, NORMAL settings
    > > at the BIOS with no success).
    > >
    > > Now ad0: works in PIO4 mode and everything is fine,
    > > previously , it was UDMA33. Now there are no errors.
    >
    > There's you and me now. I have this problem with two
    > of my PCs. I don't know yet of anybody else who has
    > these problems.
    >
    > It's indeed a serious problem, but too few people
    > running 5.3 seem to suffer from this.
    No, it's a known problem and I filed a pr about it a while back. So far
    as I know, there's been no action on the pr and disabling dma is the
    only workaround.

    > Have you tried with 4.11?
    > I bet that would not generate these problems.
    Agreed.

    Peter.

    Peter Risdon Guest

  4. #4

    Rob wrote:
    > Ramiro Aceves wrote:
    >
    >>I have read that others had this problem before. I
    >>just write this report for you to know.
    >>
    >>When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get some errors
    >>like this, but I could end the install:
    >>
    >>ad0: WARNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying
    >> request) LBA=5313599
    >>ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
    >> error=84 >ICRC,ABORTED>
    >>spec_getpages:(ad0s1a) I/O read failure: (error=5)
    >>
    >>I have solved the problem disabling DMA:
    >>hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
    >>
    >>(I previously tried disabling ACPI with no success,
    >>and playing with BIOS LBA, LARGE, NORMAL settings
    >>at the BIOS with no success).
    >>
    >>Now ad0: works in PIO4 mode and everything is fine,
    >>previously , it was UDMA33. Now there are no errors.
    >

    > There's you and me now. I have this problem with two
    > of my PCs. I don't know yet of anybody else who has
    > these problems.
    >
    > It's indeed a serious problem, but too few people
    > running 5.3 seem to suffer from this.
    >
    > Have you tried with 4.11?
    > I bet that would not generate these problems.

    Thanks, I see that we are not alone!

    I have not got a 4.11 CDROM here. I could test it on 4.10 if you think
    it is important, I have a 4.10 CDROM here. My internet is too slow to
    dowload a full CDROM at home. I can download 4.11 install CDROM on the
    computers at University if it worths the effort.

    Please let me know.

    Ramiro.

    > Regards,
    > Rob.

    > [url]http://mail.[/url]

    Ramiro Aceves Guest

  5. #5

    Peter Risdon wrote:
    > On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 06:31 -0800, Rob wrote:
    >
    >>Ramiro Aceves wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have read that others had this problem before. I
    >>>just write this report for you to know.
    >>>
    >>>When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get some errors
    >>>like this, but I could end the install:
    >>>
    >>>ad0: WARNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying
    >>> request) LBA=5313599
    >>>ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
    >>> error=84 >ICRC,ABORTED>
    >>>spec_getpages:(ad0s1a) I/O read failure: (error=5)
    >>>
    >>>I have solved the problem disabling DMA:
    >>>hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
    >>>
    >>>(I previously tried disabling ACPI with no success,
    >>>and playing with BIOS LBA, LARGE, NORMAL settings
    >>>at the BIOS with no success).
    >>>
    >>>Now ad0: works in PIO4 mode and everything is fine,
    >>>previously , it was UDMA33. Now there are no errors.
    >>
    >>There's you and me now. I have this problem with two
    >>of my PCs. I don't know yet of anybody else who has
    >>these problems.
    >>
    >>It's indeed a serious problem, but too few people
    >>running 5.3 seem to suffer from this.
    >

    > No, it's a known problem and I filed a pr about it a while back. So far
    > as I know, there's been no action on the pr and disabling dma is the
    > only workaround.
    >
    >>Have you tried with 4.11?
    >>I bet that would not generate these problems.
    >

    > Agreed.
    >
    > Peter.

    Hi Peter!

    Thank you very much for the usefull information.
    We will keep in touch for any news.

    Ramiro.

    Ramiro Aceves Guest

  6. #6

    --- Ramiro Aceves <ea1abzwanadoo.es> wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    > > Ramiro Aceves wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have read that others had this problem before. I
    > >>just write this report for you to know.
    > >>
    > >>When I installed FreeBSD 5.3 R, I get some errors
    > >>like this, but I could end the install:
    > >>
    > >>ad0: WARNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying
    > >> request) LBA=5313599
    > >>ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
    > >> error=84 >ICRC,ABORTED>
    > >>spec_getpages:(ad0s1a) I/O read failure: (error=5)
    > >>
    > >>I have solved the problem disabling DMA:
    > >>hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
    > >>

    > > It's indeed a serious problem, but too few people
    > > running 5.3 seem to suffer from this.
    > >
    > > Have you tried with 4.11?
    > > I bet that would not generate these problems.
    > >

    > Thanks, I see that we are not alone!
    >
    > I have not got a 4.11 CDROM here. I could test it on
    > 4.10 if you think
    > it is important, I have a 4.10 CDROM here. My
    > internet is too slow to
    > dowload a full CDROM at home. I can download 4.11
    > install CDROM on the
    > computers at University if it worths the effort.
    No, no need for that. It's already confirmed that
    4.X does not have this problem.

    However, recently there's a 'ATA mkIII' patch around,
    which seems to also solve this problem. Follow the
    discussion on -stable mailinglist for further
    details.
    I'm not yet sure whether you have to upgrade first
    to "5-STABLE" before applying this patch.

    Rob.

    [url]http://info.mail./mail_250[/url]
    Rob Guest

  7. #7

    Rob wrote:
    > --- Ramiro Aceves <ea1abzwanadoo.es> wrote:
    >

    >>Rob wrote:

    >>>It's indeed a serious problem, but too few people
    >>>running 5.3 seem to suffer from this.
    >>>
    >>>Have you tried with 4.11?
    >>>I bet that would not generate these problems.
    >>>

    >>Thanks, I see that we are not alone!
    >>
    >>I have not got a 4.11 CDROM here. I could test it on
    >>4.10 if you think
    >>it is important, I have a 4.10 CDROM here. My
    >>internet is too slow to
    >>dowload a full CDROM at home. I can download 4.11
    >>install CDROM on the
    >>computers at University if it worths the effort.
    >

    > No, no need for that. It's already confirmed that
    > 4.X does not have this problem.
    >
    > However, recently there's a 'ATA mkIII' patch around,
    > which seems to also solve this problem. Follow the
    > discussion on -stable mailinglist for further
    > details.
    > I'm not yet sure whether you have to upgrade first
    > to "5-STABLE" before applying this patch.
    >
    > Rob.

    Thanks Rob!

    Ramiro Aceves Guest