Professional Web Applications Themes

UDZ9 disappears - Photography

I've walked past the UDZ9 store today and it seems like they've closed it. Their website says they've moved to the other side of the city and changed their name to Pro Colour. Does anyone know whether their prices, papers or printer have changed?...

  1. #1

    Default UDZ9 disappears

    I've walked past the UDZ9 store today and it seems like they've closed it.
    Their website says they've moved to the other side of the city and changed
    their name to Pro Colour.

    Does anyone know whether their prices, papers or printer have changed?

    Kong Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: UDZ9 disappears

    "Kong" <wkkongnospam4me.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > I've walked past the UDZ9 store today and it seems like they've closed it.
    > Their website says they've moved to the other side of the city and changed
    > their name to Pro Colour.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether their prices, papers or printer have changed?

    Why not just phone them and ask ?

    Miro Guest

  3. #3

    apparently the young lady who worked in their full time got another job and
    forced the hand of the owner to sell up (think theyve been there a few
    years). Pro Colour are on Sturt street from memory but no mention was made
    of whether the prices were to remain the same.

    I thought the service was average from UDZ9 anyway and won't miss them too
    much :-)

    "Kong" <wkkongnospam4me.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > I've walked past the UDZ9 store today and it seems like they've closed it.
    > Their website says they've moved to the other side of the city and changed
    > their name to Pro Colour.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether their prices, papers or printer have changed?

    Scotty Guest

  4. #4

    I wouldn't be surprised if that young lady was Rebecca, or Bec to most
    - she was the only service oriented person there, and went above and
    beyond the normal lines to make sure people were happy with the
    business... if the rest of the staff and the owner had the same
    standards I'd have still been using them... but the inflexibility of
    the others drove me to find better options - one guy I know shoots
    weddings for the owner with another business, as did Bec, and has been
    told to skip any 'Arty' stuff as the grunts who buy budget wedding
    packages don't deserve it and don't know good work from bad... that
    says heaps to me about the quality from those studios...

    The pricing on the enlargements was great, but I do my own on the
    S9000 now anyway, so can't say I'll miss that either...

    There's a place in north Adelaide with much the same pricing - and you
    can get good 6X4's for 50c each in quantity (60+ prints) from the
    Village Pharmacy at Burnside Village... 1 hour turnaround and they
    actually care about the image quality - Fuji Frontier lab - no charges
    for 'setup fees' when you give them your images, either...

    Cheers,
    Stuart Elflett
    Dataman Pty Ltd

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:51:38 +0930, "Scotty"
    <samtechsaNOSPAMozemail.com.au> wrote:
    >apparently the young lady who worked in their full time got another job and
    >forced the hand of the owner to sell up (think theyve been there a few
    >years). Pro Colour are on Sturt street from memory but no mention was made
    >of whether the prices were to remain the same.
    >
    >I thought the service was average from UDZ9 anyway and won't miss them too
    >much :-)
    >

    >"Kong" <wkkongnospam4me.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >> I've walked past the UDZ9 store today and it seems like they've closed it.
    >> Their website says they've moved to the other side of the city and changed
    >> their name to Pro Colour.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know whether their prices, papers or printer have changed?

    Stuart Elflett Guest

  5. #5

    Which North Adelaide store? Are the prices similar for smaller prints or
    larger ones as well?

    BTW, Atkins recently dropped their prices (around the start of the financial
    year). They're the only lab in Adelaide who prints on Kodak's metallic paper
    so its worth checking them out as well.

    "Stuart Elflett" <stuart(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote in message

    > There's a place in north Adelaide with much the same pricing - and you
    > can get good 6X4's for 50c each in quantity (60+ prints) from the
    > Village Pharmacy at Burnside Village... 1 hour turnaround and they
    > actually care about the image quality - Fuji Frontier lab - no charges
    > for 'setup fees' when you give them your images, either...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stuart Elflett
    > Dataman Pty Ltd

    Kong Guest

  6. #6

    Its now $1.30 for 6x4s and $2.10 for 5x7s on Kodak Professional paper (not
    the consumer Royal paper). These prices are quite high but enlargements are
    quite competitive.

    6x8" - $2.80
    8x10" - $4.10
    11x14" - $11.30

    I get most of my smaller prints (6x4 and 5x7) from Black and White
    photographics in Magill. Service is OK but the print quality is the best
    I've seen.

    For larger prints I've only used UDZ9 although I want to get a couple of
    large prints on metallic paper from Atkins in the near future (+20% on the
    above prices). The metallic paper isn't the best for portraits but when you
    want eye-catching colour and contrast, it easily beats normal glossy stock.

    BTW which store in North Adelaide are you referring to?

    > I'm right across the road from Atkins, and the volume of customers
    > compared to the prices they charge never fails to amaze me - their
    > reputation for quality must be exceptional - I can't pick the
    > difference between their $3 6X4, a Duckpond $1.50 6X4 or a Kodak on
    > line 85c 6X4 or a Fuji Frontier 50c 6X4 - but I still see people
    > picking up 6X4 prints from Atkins... admittedly the $3 for the 6X4 is
    > much, much better than the $5 I was quoted last year, but it's still
    > enough to baffle me why people wait 24 hours to pay THAT much for a
    > simple print??
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stuart
    >
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:26:29 +0930, "Kong"
    > <wkkongnospam4me.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
    >
    > >Which North Adelaide store? Are the prices similar for smaller prints or
    > >larger ones as well?
    > >
    > >BTW, Atkins recently dropped their prices (around the start of the
    financial
    > >year). They're the only lab in Adelaide who prints on Kodak's metallic
    paper
    > >so its worth checking them out as well.
    > >
    > >"Stuart Elflett" <stuart(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote in message
    > >news:usubhvgjnu0aorgk5e72vjg00a9oan9ejg4ax.com.. .
    > >>
    > >> There's a place in north Adelaide with much the same pricing - and you
    > >> can get good 6X4's for 50c each in quantity (60+ prints) from the
    > >> Village Pharmacy at Burnside Village... 1 hour turnaround and they
    > >> actually care about the image quality - Fuji Frontier lab - no charges
    > >> for 'setup fees' when you give them your images, either...
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> Stuart Elflett
    > >> Dataman Pty Ltd

    Kong Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Kong,

    Don't know the name, just where they are - could be camera discounters
    or photographic discounters, something like that...

    That's interesting on the 6X4 price from Atkins - they quoted me $3
    for a 6X4 not longer than two weeks ago... :-)

    I can live with $4.10 for an 8X10 - I'd prefer the $1.50 that UDZ9
    charged, but you can still sell an 8X10 for enough that it's really
    not an issue... will have to take some stuff over there and see what
    they can do for me...

    Cheers,
    Stuart

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:24:31 +0930, "Kong"

    Stuart Elflett Guest

  8. #8

    Stuart might be referrring to the North Adelaide village...have heard
    reports of a good lab in there although I've never tried them myself....

    > Its now $1.30 for 6x4s and $2.10 for 5x7s on Kodak Professional paper (not
    > the consumer Royal paper). These prices are quite high but enlargements
    are
    > quite competitive.
    >
    > 6x8" - $2.80
    > 8x10" - $4.10
    > 11x14" - $11.30
    >
    > I get most of my smaller prints (6x4 and 5x7) from Black and White
    > photographics in Magill. Service is OK but the print quality is the best
    > I've seen.
    >
    > For larger prints I've only used UDZ9 although I want to get a couple of
    > large prints on metallic paper from Atkins in the near future (+20% on the
    > above prices). The metallic paper isn't the best for portraits but when
    you
    > want eye-catching colour and contrast, it easily beats normal glossy
    stock.

    > BTW which store in North Adelaide are you referring to?
    >
    > "Stuart Elflett" <stuart(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote in message
    > > I'm right across the road from Atkins, and the volume of customers
    > > compared to the prices they charge never fails to amaze me - their
    > > reputation for quality must be exceptional - I can't pick the
    > > difference between their $3 6X4, a Duckpond $1.50 6X4 or a Kodak on
    > > line 85c 6X4 or a Fuji Frontier 50c 6X4 - but I still see people
    > > picking up 6X4 prints from Atkins... admittedly the $3 for the 6X4 is
    > > much, much better than the $5 I was quoted last year, but it's still
    > > enough to baffle me why people wait 24 hours to pay THAT much for a
    > > simple print??
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Stuart
    > >
    > > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:26:29 +0930, "Kong"
    > > <wkkongnospam4me.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Which North Adelaide store? Are the prices similar for smaller prints
    or
    > > >larger ones as well?
    > > >
    > > >BTW, Atkins recently dropped their prices (around the start of the
    > financial
    > > >year). They're the only lab in Adelaide who prints on Kodak's metallic
    > paper
    > > >so its worth checking them out as well.
    > > >
    > > >"Stuart Elflett" <stuart(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote in message
    > > >news:usubhvgjnu0aorgk5e72vjg00a9oan9ejg4ax.com.. .

    Scotty Guest