Professional Web Applications Themes

Ultimate Worflow From Premiere to After Effects to Flash - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

I am hoping this thread will generate a little discussion on best practices for getting video from Premiere Pro to AfterEffects and finally broken up into .flv files for progressive download in Flash. Ideally the workflow should be streamlined so it can be used for multiple purposes (i.e. web or DVD), so here is a start on some thoughts for an optmized workflow. As people post responses I will consolidate and hopefully at the end there is something everyone can use as this is a common process. I will assume a working knowledge of all products at this point and ...

  1. #1

    Default Ultimate Worflow From Premiere to After Effects to Flash

    I am hoping this thread will generate a little discussion on best practices for
    getting video from Premiere Pro to AfterEffects and finally broken up into .flv
    files for progressive download in Flash. Ideally the workflow should be
    streamlined so it can be used for multiple purposes (i.e. web or DVD), so here
    is a start on some thoughts for an optmized workflow. As people post responses
    I will consolidate and hopefully at the end there is something everyone can use
    as this is a common process. I will assume a working knowledge of all products
    at this point and can add step by step instructions later if people desire.
    This workflow assumes progressive download via flash.

    Premiere Pro:
    I find it useful to bring the entire tape into one chunk, set in and out
    points, drag onto the time line and set up a new sequence for each expected
    "scene" that will eventually turn into a separate .flv file (you want to keep
    ..flv files to a reasonable size if you are progressively downloading". This
    way, if you want one larger video, you can put the sequences together and
    generate DVD content or a longer stream if you later stream it from a server.
    You can then use the trim process to only keep the video footage used and dump
    original raw dump, keep in on other media, or just keep the tape.

    AE:
    Here is where I am a little rusty, there is no option to output to .flv from
    Premiere Pro, Macromedia only adds the ability to export from AE, so you could
    either import the entire project, or you could copy and paste individual
    scenes, but there has to be a better, more automated way than that. Any
    suggestions or experience would be great, I am new to flash and have not really
    had to script coming out of AE in the past. Once you are through adding any
    special effects to the sequences, or "scenes" you have selected, you would want
    to create separate .flv files (I would think anyway) for each scene. The trick
    is, what is the most effective way to do this?

    Flash:
    Ideally you would want to use the new flash 8 player component and have an XML
    file that reads in each .flv file and create a reuseable module that would
    generate a play list of the individual .flv files described in the XML file and
    allow the user to either play all segments all the way through, or pick from an
    individual scene. I would think the player created would be smart enough to
    only load the ones selected or load them as it needs them as you are playing
    through. Here is where I am the weakest, I have seen a few examples of this
    being done "kind of", but haven't learned enough about scripting to pull this
    off, I am hoping someone can shed some light on the most effective way of doing
    this.

    Anyway, as I stated, I am fairly new to flash, but I thought if other
    "experts" out there could at least chime in on the most effetctive workflows
    and strategies, and hey, maybe even some sample code, that would be great!

    skeeze Guest

  2. #2

    Wow, I dident think there would be much of any intrest of these 3 programs
    which I almost use exclusiveley (including photoshop). But you bring up some
    very good points, unfortunateley the easy of start and stop produciton
    streamlined into one easy process is still a year away.

    With the standalone packages there is no way to do this, though it could be
    rigged togeather with extra plugins and some scripting. But with the advent of
    Adobe/Macromedia as one we are bound to see a huge leap in productivity in
    exactley what you are talking about. (I.E. output to flash from Premiere)

    But you can set up watch folders with AE to do exactley what you want to the
    applied video. Matter of fact it would proabley be best to keep Premiere pro in
    AVI format which ouputs to a AE watch folder.

    AE in turn does it's thing and effects and then ouputs to a secound watch
    folder which IN theory Flash would covert to highquality FLV video. Course
    flash does not do this.

    But I think ON2 Flix incoporates watch folders, but im not sure. But like I
    said within a year the workflow will be greatley inproved to do exactley what
    you want.

    xsxtreme Guest