Professional Web Applications Themes

Ultra 30 CDROM question - Sun Solaris

I have an Ultra30 with an IDE CDROM drive. When I put Solaris 7 disk in it and type boot cdrom from prom, all works ok. After installing Solaris 7, the computer does not recognize the drive. I can boot from it (Solaris 7 only for some reason) and install the Solaris 7 operating system, but that's it! Once installed, it's like the drive is not in the box. df -k does not show it's there when a cd is installed. I did a start and stop of volmgt with no result. I tried to mount the cdrom but there ...

  1. #1

    Default Ultra 30 CDROM question

    I have an Ultra30 with an IDE CDROM drive. When I put Solaris 7 disk in it
    and type boot cdrom from prom, all works ok. After installing Solaris 7,
    the computer does not recognize the drive. I can boot from it (Solaris 7
    only for some reason) and install the Solaris 7 operating system, but that's
    it! Once installed, it's like the drive is not in the box. df -k does not
    show it's there when a cd is installed. I did a start and stop of volmgt
    with no result. I tried to mount the cdrom but there isn't any device for
    it in the dev directory. No cdrom/cdrom0 directory appears when a cd is
    inserted.

    When I try to load Solaris 8, I get an error message that it can't find the
    drivers and the install stops. Only Solaris 7 will completely load. I've
    been searching Sun's pages and haven't found any reference to this problem
    so far. Is there drivers or updates on the web someplace that I just
    haven't found yet. Can anyone please help and shed some light on this for
    me. I would be most appreciative!

    Thanks,
    \"Craig\"
    acacn8@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ultra 30 CDROM question

    [email]acacn8[/email] wrote:

    > I have an Ultra30 with an IDE CDROM drive.
    I thought Ultra30 needed a SCSI CDROM drive set to id #6 And it also
    needed to do the 512 sector thing ?
    David Michaels Guest

  3. #3

    This Ultra30 has an IDE connector on the motherboard. The CDROM is the only
    thing attached to it. Works fine when loading the operating system but when
    done, it's not recognized. Your comment is a solution that I may try. I'll
    locate a scsi CDROM and see what happens.

    Craig
    acacn8@yahoo.com Guest

  4. #4

    [email]acacn8[/email] wrote:

    > I have an Ultra30 with an IDE CDROM drive. When I put Solaris 7 disk in it
    > and type boot cdrom from prom, all works ok. After installing Solaris 7,
    > the computer does not recognize the drive. I can boot from it (Solaris 7
    > only for some reason) and install the Solaris 7 operating system, but that's
    > it! Once installed, it's like the drive is not in the box. df -k does not
    > show it's there when a cd is installed. I did a start and stop of volmgt
    > with no result. I tried to mount the cdrom but there isn't any device for
    > it in the dev directory. No cdrom/cdrom0 directory appears when a cd is
    > inserted.
    If a device entry doesn't exist under /dev or /devices, then its
    not being picked up. First thing I'd look at is OS patches. Bring
    them up to date and then either do a reconfiguration reboot or run
    drvconfig, devlinks and disks.
    > When I try to load Solaris 8, I get an error message that it can't find the
    > drivers and the install stops. Only Solaris 7 will completely load. I've
    > been searching Sun's pages and haven't found any reference to this problem
    > so far. Is there drivers or updates on the web someplace that I just
    > haven't found yet. Can anyone please help and shed some light on this for
    > me. I would be most appreciative!
    What hardware version of Solaris 8 are you trying? Perhaps you
    need a later one.

    -am 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 15:07:36 +1000, Anthony Mandic wrote:
    > If a device entry doesn't exist under /dev or /devices, then its
    > not being picked up. First thing I'd look at is OS patches. Bring
    > them up to date and then either do a reconfiguration reboot or run
    > drvconfig, devlinks and disks.
    All of which are links to devfsadm.

    9684 -rwxr-xr-x 7 root sys 71784 Jan 6 20:33 disks
    9684 -rwxr-xr-x 7 root sys 71784 Jan 6 20:33 drvconfig
    9684 -rwxr-xr-x 7 root sys 71784 Jan 6 20:33 devlinks
    9684 -rwxr-xr-x 7 root sys 71784 Jan 6 20:33 devfsadm

    Dave Uhring Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3f0646bf_7news.athenanews.com>, <acacn8> wrote:
    >This Ultra30 has an IDE connector on the motherboard. The CDROM is the only
    >thing attached to it. Works fine when loading the operating system but when
    >done, it's not recognized. Your comment is a solution that I may try. I'll
    >locate a scsi CDROM and see what happens.
    OK, first, this is not a U30! :)
    Why dont you post the output of this command to the newsgroup!?
    'prtdiag -v'

    /wfr
    Fredrik

    --
    Fredrik Lundholm
    dol ce.chalmers.se

    Fredrik Lundholm Guest

  7. #7

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 15:07:36 +1000, Anthony Mandic wrote:
    >
    > > If a device entry doesn't exist under /dev or /devices, then its
    > > not being picked up. First thing I'd look at is OS patches. Bring
    > > them up to date and then either do a reconfiguration reboot or run
    > > drvconfig, devlinks and disks.
    >
    > All of which are links to devfsadm.
    Thanks. For some odd reason I've got it in my head that devfsadm
    was introduced with Solaris 8 rather than 7.

    -am 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:31:24 +1000, Anthony Mandic wrote:
    > Thanks. For some odd reason I've got it in my head that devfsadm
    > was introduced with Solaris 8 rather than 7.
    I'm not certain of that either and I can't figure out which version the OP
    is actually trying to work with.

    Dave Uhring Guest

  9. #9

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > > Thanks. For some odd reason I've got it in my head that devfsadm
    > > was introduced with Solaris 8 rather than 7.
    >
    > I'm not certain of that either and I can't figure out which version the OP
    > is actually trying to work with.
    He said S7. So running devfsadm would suffice.

    -am 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest