Professional Web Applications Themes

Ultra compact digital camera - Photography

A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size. I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and 400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would prefer not having a zoom if the lens is ...

  1. #1

    Default Ultra compact digital camera

    A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size.
    I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other
    shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that
    are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and
    400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you
    the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third
    digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would
    prefer not having a zoom if the lens is much faster).

    JK Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ultra compact digital camera

    "JK" <net> wrote in message

    I have heard NOT to get a digital camera if it uses AAA batteries. Why?
    Because their life is less than half of that of AA and there size-to-charge
    ratio is not comparable as AA's are. So that dispells that portion of your
    message. So all your left with is AA NiMH batteries or Lithium rechargeable.
    Your size is then limited to around 2 AA sized batteries. The camera must be
    made around these. Just my .02

    Matt Guest

  3. #3

    Matt wrote:

    > I have heard NOT to get a digital camera if it uses AAA batteries. Why?
    > Because their life is less than half of that of AA and there size-to-charge
    > ratio is not comparable as AA's are.[/ref]

    That doesn't matter, as I already have a few fast chargers, and several sets
    of AA and AAA nimh batteries. I hate expensive proprietary batteries.

    JK Guest

  4. #4

    I looked at the Sony U20 and liked it, but I wanted 5Mpixel. I decided
    to go for the Konica KD500Z after reading the excellent report on
    <http://www.megapixel.net/> as well as hearing several folks remark on
    how good the image quality was. It's tiny (just a hair smaller than a
    Minox 35GT-E compact 35mm camera) and seems to be quite responsive.
    Takes both Memory Stick (good for me as I have a dozen of them) as well
    as SecureDigital cards.

    Quoting the review:
    "The 500Z is powered by a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery (DR-LB4). A
    separate charger, into which the battery slides, taking about 2.5 hours
    for a full charge, is included (DR-BC-K4)."

    These batteries cost $29 and are available from (at least) Konica and
    Power2000 so I'd hardly call them "proprietary". Batteries like this
    are required for this class of miniature high-resolutin digital camera
    as AA and AAA cells are too large to fit in the form factor and give a
    useful working life between charges.

    Godfrey

    In article <net>, JK <net>

    Godfrey Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:44:38 GMT, "Matt" <lssu.edu>
    wrote:

    >I have heard NOT to get a digital camera if it uses AAA batteries. Why?
    >Because their life is less than half of that of AA and there size-to-charge
    >ratio is not comparable as AA's are. So that dispells that portion of your
    >message. So all your left with is AA NiMH batteries or Lithium rechargeable.
    >Your size is then limited to around 2 AA sized batteries. The camera must be
    >made around these. Just my .02
    >[/ref]

    The Sony AAA Ni-MH batteries that come with the U20 (and a spare pair)
    last for days and days of use, if not more. My U20 is usually only
    carried around 'just in case'. Even not using it for a month I've
    turned it on and found it ready to go still showing a full charge.
    I've only really charged the batteries out of courtesy, never need. As
    a camera to carry around all the time ready for unexpected use it's
    unbeatable.

    MJ
    MJ@MJ.com Guest

  6. #6

    "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <com> wrote in message

    Or $13 (or lower) on Ebay:
    Ex:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2941615777&category=15 215

    Batteries like this [/ref]

    Don Guest

  7. #7

    Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

    The problem for me with that camera is that the lens is too slow at
    telephoto(f4.9!) for me to use as my primary digital camera, and
    the camera is too expensive( $400+?) for me to use as a second
    camera. The proprietary battery is also a nuisance.

    "Like most "mini" digicams, the KD500Z is powered by a proprietary lithium-ion
    rechargeable battery pack. The ultra-slim DR-LB4 is a 3.7v 820mAh pack with
    enough power for 100 pictures with LCD on or 200 pictures with the LCD off
    (normal humidity and temperature, flash intensity 50%, shot every 30 sec. zoomed
    one direction once.) And 90 minutes of continuous playback time.

    The DR-LB4 is the -only- battery that can be used in this camera so be sure to
    buy a spare and keep it with you -- or else your picture taking is over when the
    battery runs out!"

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/kd500z_pg2.html

    "The KD-500Z is basically a point-n-shoot automatic type of digicam. It doesn't
    offer any advanced exposure modes like aperture or shutter speed priority or
    full manual"

    That is a great deficiency in a $400+ camera. Also the lack of a rotating
    display is annoying.

    "It can use Secure Digital or MMC cards and Memory Stick cards at the same time"

    Another minus. I want a camera that uses Compact Flash.

    I didn't see any mention in the review of what ISO equivalent ranges the camera
    works in.
     [/ref]

    JK Guest

  8. #8

    JK <net> wrote:

    I have a Casio Exilim EX-M2 and really like it. A more recent model would
    be the EX-S3, 3 megapixel instead of 2mp. To make it so small (it is much
    smaller than the Sony), it does use a proprietary Lithium-Ion battery - I
    simply bought an extra battery, and have never needed more. Your subject
    says "Ultra compact" - to me, the Casio Exilim series is the best ultra
    compact with good quality and features. I literally carry it with me all
    the time in a pants or shirt pocket.

    dsco Guest

  9. #9

    Well, the very smallest and cheapest I've seen (well, the Casio watch camera
    might be smaller, but not cheaper) is the Sipix Blink II, at $40, sometimes
    cheaper. Uses one AAA battery. I don't know how the lens is, probably not
    the best.

    640 x480 resolution. The biggest problem is--no memory card, and the
    internal memory is volatile, your pictures get lost if the battery runs
    down. (And I sometimes lost photos when the battery did not run down, I
    don't know why!) And the battery goes fast, using power even when turned
    off.

    But it's tiny (about the size of a matchbook), and cheap, so you don't have
    to worry about losing it.

    "JK" <net> wrote in message

    MS Guest

  10. #10

    "JK" <net> wrote in message
    | A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size.
    | I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other
    | shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that
    | are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and
    | 400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you
    | the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third
    | digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would
    | prefer not having a zoom if the lens is much faster).

    It might be worth your while to expore the Yahoo group 'tinycams'.
    Those folks have acres of knowledge about small, cheap cameras.

    http://groups./group/tinycams/

    Frank ess

    Frank Guest

  11. #11

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:29:15 GMT, dsco <spamcon.org> wrote:

    =>
    =>I have a Casio Exilim EX-M2 and really like it. A more recent model would
    =>be the EX-S3, 3 megapixel instead of 2mp. To make it so small (it is much
    =>smaller than the Sony), it does use a proprietary Lithium-Ion battery - I
    =>simply bought an extra battery, and have never needed more. Your subject
    =>says "Ultra compact" - to me, the Casio Exilim series is the best ultra
    =>compact with good quality and features. I literally carry it with me all
    =>the time in a pants or shirt pocket.

    So ultra compact + xtra battery = no so ultra compact?
    Then for weak flash, add another slave flash = definitely not so ultra
    compact?

    ---
    Bill God recently starts fighting Spam because (he says) "Like almost everyone, I receive a lot of spam every day, much of it offering to help me get out of debt or get rich quick. It's ridiculous."
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rachel1689/
    Cool Guest

  12. #12

    com wrote:

    > The Sony AAA Ni-MH batteries that come with the U20 (and a spare pair)
    > last for days and days of use, if not more. My U20 is usually only
    > carried around 'just in case'. Even not using it for a month I've
    > turned it on and found it ready to go still showing a full charge.
    > I've only really charged the batteries out of courtesy, never need. As
    > a camera to carry around all the time ready for unexpected use it's
    > unbeatable.[/ref]

    Shelf life ("days and days") depends as much on chemistry as capacity.

    How many *shots* do you get off one charge? With or without flash?

    Rick

    matthews Guest

  13. #13

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:54:22 -0400, matthews <edu> wrote:

    >> The Sony AAA Ni-MH batteries that come with the U20 (and a spare pair)
    >> last for days and days of use, if not more. My U20 is usually only
    >> carried around 'just in case'. Even not using it for a month I've
    >> turned it on and found it ready to go still showing a full charge.
    >> I've only really charged the batteries out of courtesy, never need. As
    >> a camera to carry around all the time ready for unexpected use it's
    >> unbeatable.[/ref]
    >
    >Shelf life ("days and days") depends as much on chemistry as capacity.
    >
    >How many *shots* do you get off one charge? With or without flash?
    >
    >Rick[/ref]

    Well over a hundred, with an indeterminate number of flashes - maybe
    10% to 20% at a guess, and still showing full charge. I've never seen
    it showing less than full in the 4 months I've had it. Because of this
    it has been difficult to guage how much use I can get before charging
    is a necessity.

    MJ
    MJ@MJ.com Guest