Professional Web Applications Themes

Un-thread text - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi I'm using InDesign CS and am experiencing problems when I try to un-thread two frames: Instead of just breaking the thred, text disappears from the 2nd frame completely. Any ideas? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Un-thread text

    Bruno_F_Moser@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Un-thread text

    Yes, that's what is supposed to happen.

    When you no longer have a thread into the second frame there is no
    longer any text to place there.
    Simon Warner Guest

  3. #3

    An associated point:

    We export ID stories to InCopy, and for ease of editing often the titles and main text, boxes etc aren't linked. On completion we export the stories for web use, so in InDesign I link the previously separate stories together and export. Then (to unlink) when I go to the initial story, do Cancel Check Out, all the text in the following text boxes disappears. I close the doent (no save required), open it up again, and the missing text reappears that I can go Cancel Check Out on the rest of the stories.

    Not a problem really, just worth noting.
    rich_kidd@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Ok, what's the best way then to cut a text into two pices (ie. there are two text boxes, threaded, that should no longer be linked?)
    Bruno_F_Moser@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Place the text twice and delete the portion you don't want in each frame.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I think someone, likely Dave Saunders, wrote a script for this. For
    former PM users, this behavior does take a bit of getting used to.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  7. #7

    It would be nice if InDesign offered a feature where you could break a threaded text story into two stories without having to resort to cutting an pasting. This always seems like a work-around to me.

    Phil Redman
    pjredman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    > Ok, what's the best way then to cut a text into two pices (ie. there
    > are two text boxes, threaded, that should no longer be linked?)
    Select the second text box, cut and then paste in place. The new box
    will contain the same text as the old but will no longer be linked.
    Brian Guest

  9. #9

    I'm trying to imagine any cirstances when I might want to do that.

    Perhaps if one piece of text was being imported that had to be chopped up
    into individual frames, but I would think that fiddling with separate frames
    so that each contained exactly the right text before breaking the chain
    would be more hassle than just cutting and pasting from a master frame into
    the required individuals.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > I'm trying to imagine any cirstances when I might want to do that.

    This came up once (and only once that I can recall), and while I
    remember it had something to do with the customer's file not adhering to
    our templates I don't recall the specifics as to why unthreading the
    frames while retaining what text was in each frame was the best solution.
    Brian Guest

  11. #11

    Thumbs up Re: Un-thread text

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    > Ok, what's the best way then to cut a text into two pices (ie. there

    Select the second text box, cut and then paste in place. The new box
    will contain the same text as the old but will no longer be linked.
    Elegant and straight forward - thank you.
    Tim Ozpagan is offline Junior Member
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1

  12. #12

    hey. I came here looking for a solution to this problem and found away to do it with a Java script. seems to work for me. check it out:
    david Guest