Professional Web Applications Themes

Unable to boot after changing IP address - SCO

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:11:30 GMT, "nospam" <bruceradtkeREMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote: >Hello- > >I am running 5.0.6 on an IBM EServer machine. The boot drive is a scsi >drive. > >I changed the IP address of the machine and relinked the kernel and now the >machine fails to boot: "Warning hd not root disk controller found". I have not needed to relink the kernel for an IP address change before. What prompted you to do this? The kernel that you linked doesn't have the correct driver for your SCSI/RAID controller. > >I booted up from the emergency floopys ok and thought ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Unable to boot after changing IP address

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:11:30 GMT, "nospam"
    <bruceradtkeREMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:
    >Hello-
    >
    >I am running 5.0.6 on an IBM EServer machine. The boot drive is a scsi
    >drive.
    >
    >I changed the IP address of the machine and relinked the kernel and now the
    >machine fails to boot: "Warning hd not root disk controller found".
    I have not needed to relink the kernel for an IP address change
    before. What prompted you to do this?

    The kernel that you linked doesn't have the correct driver for your
    SCSI/RAID controller.

    >I booted up from the emergency floopys ok and thought there may be a version
    >of the kernel, "unix.old" or "unix.safe", that I could fall back to. I
    >couldn't find anything like that after mounting the hd0root, etc. The
    >/mnt/stand directory on the /dev/hd0root was also empty, which I thought
    >should contain some of these files.
    >
    >Any ideas how to fallback to my old system ( before changing the IP address)
    >or how to correct the situation?
    >
    >If I reinstall SCO or upgrade to 5.0.7, does it let me have the option of
    >keeping my users files on the machine?
    IPUs (In-Place-Upgrades) can be a strange task, as a few recent
    threads in this group will indicate.

    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Regards,
    >bruce

    Let the system boot from the hard drive and try typing in 'unix.old'
    (no quotes) at the Boot: prompt. That should be the kernel your
    system was running before the change. If that brings your system up
    correctly, unmount the /stand filesystem, mount it using
    'mount /dev/boot /stand' (no quotes), then copy /stand/unix.old
    /stand/unix and reboot.

    If unix.old doesn't work for you, there should be a few alternatives:
    # ls -l /stand
    -r--r----- 1 bin mem 2498159 Mar 25 16:24 unix
    -r--r----- 1 bin mem 2052707 Jun 24 2002 unix.install
    -r--r----- 1 bin mem 2498159 Dec 16 2002 unix.old
    -r--r----- 1 bin mem 2250918 Jun 24 2002 unix.safe

    all of which should be accessible from the Boot: prompt (booting from
    the hard drive(s))

    Scott McMillan

    Scott McMillan Guest

  2. #2

    nospam typed (on Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:11:30PM +0000):
    | Hello-
    |
    | I am running 5.0.6 on an IBM EServer machine. The boot drive is a scsi
    | drive.
    |
    | I changed the IP address of the machine and relinked the kernel and now the
    | machine fails to boot: "Warning hd not root disk controller found".
    |
    | I booted up from the emergency floopys ok and thought there may be a version
    | of the kernel, "unix.old" or "unix.safe", that I could fall back to. I
    | couldn't find anything like that after mounting the hd0root, etc. The
    | /mnt/stand directory on the /dev/hd0root was also empty, which I thought
    | should contain some of these files.
    |
    | Any ideas how to fallback to my old system ( before changing the IP address)
    | or how to correct the situation?

    At the boot prompt, type 'unix.safe' or 'unix.install'.

    | If I reinstall SCO or upgrade to 5.0.7, does it let me have the option of
    | keeping my users files on the machine?

    On an upgrade, yes.
    On a reinstallation, no if your user files are on the root filesystem,
    yes if they are on a different filesystem.

    I very much doubt that the change of IP numbers is the reason you got a
    non-bootable kernel. You most likely changed something else in the link
    kit, and not tested it by rebooting from the resulting kernel, before you
    changed the IP number.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  3. #3

    > >Hello-
    > >
    > >I am running 5.0.6 on an IBM EServer machine. The boot drive is a scsi
    > >drive.
    > >
    > >I changed the IP address of the machine and relinked the kernel and now
    the
    > >machine fails to boot: "Warning hd not root disk controller found".
    >
    > I have not needed to relink the kernel for an IP address change
    > before. What prompted you to do this?
    >
    > The kernel that you linked doesn't have the correct driver for your
    > SCSI/RAID controller.
    >

    > >I booted up from the emergency floopys ok and thought there may be a
    version
    > >of the kernel, "unix.old" or "unix.safe", that I could fall back to.
    > >couldn't find anything like that after mounting the hd0root, etc. The
    > >/mnt/stand directory on the /dev/hd0root was also empty, which I thought
    > >should contain some of these files.
    > >
    > >Any ideas how to fallback to my old system ( before changing the IP
    address)
    > >or how to correct the situation?
    > >
    > >If I reinstall SCO or upgrade to 5.0.7, does it let me have the option
    of
    > >keeping my users files on the machine?
    >
    > IPUs (In-Place-Upgrades) can be a strange task, as a few recent
    > threads in this group will indicate.
    >

    > >Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >bruce
    > >

    > Let the system boot from the hard drive and try typing in 'unix.old'
    > (no quotes) at the Boot: prompt. That should be the kernel your
    > system was running before the change. If that brings your system up
    > correctly, unmount the /stand filesystem, mount it using
    > 'mount /dev/boot /stand' (no quotes), then copy /stand/unix.old
    > /stand/unix and reboot.
    >
    > If unix.old doesn't work for you, there should be a few alternatives:
    > # ls -l /stand
    > -r--r----- 1 bin mem 2498159 Mar 25 16:24 unix
    > -r--r----- 1 bin mem 2052707 Jun 24 2002 unix.install
    > -r--r----- 1 bin mem 2498159 Dec 16 2002 unix.old
    > -r--r----- 1 bin mem 2250918 Jun 24 2002 unix.safe
    >
    > all of which should be accessible from the Boot: prompt (booting from
    > the hard drive(s))
    >

    > Scott McMillan

    Scott,
    Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion worked and I was able to boot from
    'unix.old'.

    The reason I relinked after changing the IP address was ScoAdmin told me to!
    After modifying the address and exiting out of the network config manager,
    it told me that the kernel needed to be rebuilt, blah, blah, etc.

    Is it true that I can just change the IP address and not relink the kernel?
    Is that thru ScoAdmin or do you change the IP another way?

    Regards,
    bruce

    nospam Guest

  4. #4

    > I very much doubt that the change of IP numbers is the reason you got a
    > non-bootable kernel. You most likely changed something else in the link
    > kit, and not tested it by rebooting from the resulting kernel, before you
    > changed the IP number.

    Jean -
    Thanks for the reply. I should have know better - this is a borrowed
    machine and I really don't know the history behind it or exactly what it
    contains. 'unix.old' worked fine.

    Regards,
    bruce

    nospam Guest

  5. #5

    nospam typed (on Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:31:20PM +0000):

    | > I very much doubt that the change of IP numbers is the reason you got a
    | > non-bootable kernel. You most likely changed something else in the link
    | > kit, and not tested it by rebooting from the resulting kernel, before you
    | > changed the IP number.
    | >

    | Jean -

    Who is Jean???

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:33:57 -0400, Scott McMillan <smcmusa.net>
    wrote:
    >>I am running 5.0.6 on an IBM EServer machine. The boot drive is a scsi
    >>drive.
    >>
    >>I changed the IP address of the machine and relinked the kernel and now the
    >>machine fails to boot: "Warning hd not root disk controller found".
    >
    >I have not needed to relink the kernel for an IP address change
    >before. What prompted you to do this?
    Hi,

    if we only change the IP adress with netconfig after that we get a
    info that the kernel needs to be rebuild !
    How do you change the IP adress permanently ?

    Stefan

    Stefan Marquardt Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:01:51 +0200, Stefan Marquardt
    <erase-this.stefan.marquardthagebau.de> wrote:
    >On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:33:57 -0400, Scott McMillan <smcmusa.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>I am running 5.0.6 on an IBM EServer machine. The boot drive is a scsi
    >>>drive.
    >>>
    >>>I changed the IP address of the machine and relinked the kernel and now the
    >>>machine fails to boot: "Warning hd not root disk controller found".
    >>
    >>I have not needed to relink the kernel for an IP address change
    >>before. What prompted you to do this?
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >if we only change the IP adress with netconfig after that we get a
    >info that the kernel needs to be rebuild !
    >How do you change the IP adress permanently ?
    >
    >Stefan
    I usually change /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp and use 'ksl.disable' as part of my
    default boot string, but you should read the following before changing
    your routine:

    [url]http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/569.html[/url]
    [url]http://aplawrence.com/Jeffl/new_name.html[/url]

    I had forgotten that netconfig (or scoadmin network) performs the
    relink. Sorry for the confusion.

    Scott McMillan

    Scott McMillan Guest