Professional Web Applications Themes

Unable to install ATI Radeon 9800 Linux driver v3.2.5 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello. I just switched from a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (AIW) recently. I got Windows drivers and applications working. Tonight, I uninstalled NVIDIA driver to try ATI driver. I was unable to get Linux drivers to set work correctly. I got the desktop working, but I don't have 3D acceleration. OpenGL screen savers and probably games (did not bother to check) are choppy. I am using old Red Hat Linux 7.2 (compiled Kernel 2.4.20) with most updates (up2date and red-carpet). ATI's doents were a bit confusing, and not easy to complete like NVIDIA's easy setup. ...

  1. #1

    Default Unable to install ATI Radeon 9800 Linux driver v3.2.5

    Hello. I just switched from a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 to an ATI Radeon
    9800 PRO (AIW) recently. I got Windows drivers and applications working.
    Tonight, I uninstalled NVIDIA driver to try ATI driver.

    I was unable to get Linux drivers to set work correctly. I got the
    desktop working, but I don't have 3D acceleration. OpenGL screen savers
    and probably games (did not bother to check) are choppy.

    I am using old Red Hat Linux 7.2 (compiled Kernel 2.4.20) with most
    updates (up2date and red-carpet). ATI's doents were a bit confusing,
    and not easy to complete like NVIDIA's easy setup. Maybe I am doing this
    all wrong. Here's are some results when I tried to install and compile
    drivers:

    uname -a
    Linux ANTux-AXP 2.4.20 #12 Mon Aug 11 23:03:32 PDT 2003 i686 unknown

    fglrx-glc22-4.1.0-3.2.5.i586.rpm:
    Preparing... ##################################################
    fglrx-glc22 ##################################################
    *** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
    *** WARNING ***
    Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
    You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
    and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
    Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
    in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
    (see readme.txt for more details.)

    As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated
    OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

    failed.
    *** Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
    ATI module generator V 2.0
    ==========================
    probing for VMA API version...
    cleaning...
    patching 'highmem.h'...
    skipping patch for 'drmP.h', not needed
    doing script based build for kernel 2.4.x and similar
    compiling 'agpgart_be.c'...
    compiling 'agp3.c'...
    compiling 'i7505-agp.c'...
    compiling 'nvidia-agp.c'...
    compiling 'firegl_public.c'...
    linking of fglrx kernel module...
    duplicating results into driver repository...
    done.
    ==============================
    - creating symlink
    - recreating module dependency list
    - trying a sample load of the kernel module
    Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
    See [url]http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted[/url] for information about tainted modules
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    failed.
    Installed: qt2 (gcc 2.96) based control panel application
    ===
    ATI display drivers successfully installed
    please run 'fglrxconfig' now
    ===

    I tried to compile with my Kernel source (/usr/src/linux goes to
    /home/ant/kernels/linux-2.4.20). When it was time to do ./make
    install.sh, I got this:

    - creating symlink
    - recreating module dependency list
    - trying a sample load of the kernel module
    Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
    See [url]http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted[/url] for information about tainted modules
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    failed.

    How do I fix this? Do I really want to tamper with my Kernel sources?
    Here's fglrxinfo result since I can run X11:

    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2

    Here's dmesg (only listing fglrx lines):
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
    Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20a, 23:25:19 Aug 11 2003
    PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0f.0
    emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 7 model 0x8040 found, IO at 0x9000-0x901f, IRQ 5
    ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
[...]

    That doesn't look like I have the proper installation. Any ideas on
    how to fix this problem? I'd like to get my OpenGL screen savers and
    games to work again. Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "No, I'd prefer a cooler WITHOUT an ant-door, thank you..." --unknown
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | E-mail: [email]philpiearthlink.netA[/email]NT or [email]philpiapu.eduA[/email]NT
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
    ANTant@zimage.com Guest

  2. #2

    In comp.os.linux.x [email]ANTantzimage.com[/email] wrote:
    > Here's dmesg (only listing fglrx lines):
    > [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    > [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be
    > loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
    You have another direct rendering module loaded into your kernel (or you
    have DRM support for another card compiled directly into your kernel).

    cat /proc/dri/0/name

    It should list for you the module you have installed.

    Something like:

    radeon 0xe200 PCI:1:0:0

    Then do a 'rmmod radeon' (or whatever module is listed there).

    If it says that module isn't loaded, it means that it's compiled
    directly into your kernel. You *will* have to recompile the kernel in
    that case. If it doesn't give an error message, then it means that that
    kernel module is being loaded at some point during the boot process.
    You'll have to find out where, and disable it.

    Let me know how you make out.

    Adam

    Adam K Kirchhoff Guest

  3. #3

    > > [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    > > [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be
    > > loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
    > You have another direct rendering module loaded into your kernel (or you
    > have DRM support for another card compiled directly into your kernel).
    > cat /proc/dri/0/name
    > It should list for you the module you have installed.
    > Something like:
    > radeon 0xe200 PCI:1:0:0
    I got tdfx 0xe200

    > Then do a 'rmmod radeon' (or whatever module is listed there).
    I checked lsmod first:
    I did not see anything related to my earlier result.

    I did a rmmod tdfx, but I got "rmmod: module tdfx is not loaded."

    > If it says that module isn't loaded, it means that it's compiled
    > directly into your kernel. You *will* have to recompile the kernel in
    > that case. If it doesn't give an error message, then it means that that
    > kernel module is being loaded at some point during the boot process.
    > You'll have to find out where, and disable it.
    I viewed my config text file and noticed tdfx was marked Y. I also set
    other DRM stuff to N. I attached this section FYI.

    CONFIG_AGP=y
    CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
    CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
    CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
    CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
    # CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151 is not set
    CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
    CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
    # CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
    CONFIG_DRM=y
    # CONFIG_DRM_OLD is not set

    #
    # DRM 4.1 drivers
    #
    CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
    # CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
    # CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
    # CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
    CONFIG_DRM_I810=y
    CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41=y
    # CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
    # CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
    # CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
    # CONFIG_MWAVE is not set

    I recompiled my Kernel and still had problems. Here are the results:
    I removed the RPM package and reinstalled:

[...]

    I tried to do the steps in "Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present
    in your system." section. I still got similar errors:

    ATI module generator V 2.0
    ==========================
    probing for VMA API version...
    cleaning...
    patching 'highmem.h'...
    skipping patch for 'drmP.h', not needed
    doing script based build for kernel 2.4.x and similar
    compiling 'agpgart_be.c'...
    compiling 'agp3.c'...
    compiling 'i7505-agp.c'...
    compiling 'nvidia-agp.c'...
    compiling 'firegl_public.c'...
    linking of fglrx kernel module...
    duplicating results into driver repository...
    done.
    ==============================
    You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
    and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
    ==============================

    demsg said:
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
    Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20, 22:49:39 Aug 11 2003
    PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0f.0
    emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 7 model 0x8040 found, IO at 0x9000-0x901f, IRQ 5
    ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: v9(SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
    [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!

    cat /proc/dri/0/name said: i810 0xe200

    I don't think it is a DRM issue. I think there is a compile problem as
    shown in above piped logs. I don't think Kernel source wants to be tainted.
    I don't know how to fix/work around this problem. Am I reading these
    errors correctly?

    Thank you in advance again. :)

  4. #4

    FYI. My Kernel 2.4.20 config is at
    [url]http://home.apu.edu/~philpi/temp/ant-kernel-ATI.txt[/url] in case I messed up in it.
    Once it is resolved, I will delete it.

  5. #5

    [email]ANTantzimage.com[/email] wrote:

    > In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati [email]ANTantzimage.com[/email] wrote:
    >
    > > Hello. I just switched from a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 to an ATI Radeon
    > > 9800 PRO (AIW) recently. I got Windows drivers and applications working.
    > > Tonight, I uninstalled NVIDIA driver to try ATI driver.
    > >
    > > I was unable to get Linux drivers to set work correctly. I got the
    > > desktop working, but I don't have 3D acceleration. OpenGL screen savers
    > > and probably games (did not bother to check) are choppy.
    [snip]
    > FYI. My Kernel 2.4.20 config is at
    > [url]http://home.apu.edu/~philpi/temp/ant-kernel-ATI.txt[/url] in case I messed up in it.
    > Once it is resolved, I will delete it.
    I notice in the config you've built-in DRM drivers for the Intel 810
    chipset. ("CONFIG_DRM_I810=y" and "CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41=y") These
    are built-in (not as modules) and may well be causing the conflict with
    your ATI card. In the DRM section you only need "CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y".
    Turn off everything else. (Or at least build as modules so you can
    remove them, but you don't need anything else AFAIK.)
    John-Paul Stewart Guest

  6. #6

    In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati John-Paul Stewart <ca> wrote: [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    OK, I will try that later. I am a Kernel newbie so I don't know 75%
    of the items in it. ;) I will set CONFIG_DRM_I810 and
    CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41 to N. For DRM section, I will only set
    CONFIG_DRM_NEW to Y and everything else as N.

    I hope this works tonight or so!! I will follow-up later. :)
    --
    / /\ /\ \ Ant The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx