Professional Web Applications Themes

Unable to install flash player 9 - Macromedia Flash Player

I have been unable to install flash player 9. I followed all the directions in the web site and did everything that was suggested for problems. One of the things I was told to do was to uninstall previous versions. That was the worst suggestion! Now I can't go to any web page that has Flash content and see anything. I get the little square with the circle, triangle and box. When I try to install it says it is installing, but then you are supposed to get a picture and some text after installation is complete. However, I just ...

  1. #1

    Default Unable to install flash player 9

    I have been unable to install flash player 9. I followed all the directions in
    the web site and did everything that was suggested for problems. One of the
    things I was told to do was to uninstall previous versions. That was the worst
    suggestion! Now I can't go to any web page that has Flash content and see
    anything. I get the little square with the circle, triangle and box. When I
    try to install it says it is installing, but then you are supposed to get a
    picture and some text after installation is complete. However, I just get "
    and that is it. Adobe does not respond to any e-mail. Can someone please help
    me?

    Doug

    Bigdog57 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unable to install flash player 9

    Try reinstalling version 7 for now. You should be able to view some flash content at least.
    [url]http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp7_archive.zip[/url]

    WindShadow75 Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, but I tried installing version 7 as you said but it would not install.
    Once before I had found version 8 and it would not install either -- both for
    the same reason. When I would select the file from the archive it would begin
    installing and I would get a message box saying: INF install failure.
    Problem: Unknown

    That has happened over and over. Any more suggestions?
    thanks -- Doug

    Bigdog57 Guest

  4. #4

    I had the same problem and I'd tried everything. Then I noticed that
    C:\Doents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data did not contain the
    Macromedia folder. My computer has multiple user folders, so I looked at
    another user folder, double clicked Application Data and noticed that THAT
    folder did contain the Macromedia folder. I simply copied that Macromedia
    folder and pasted it into the Application Data folder in C:\Doents and
    Settings\Administrator. Then I tried to download flashplayer again and it
    WORKS! I am no computerwhizz, but whatever I did, it got me to download
    flashplayer! It works perfectly now.....

    Lena86 Guest

  5. #5

    > However, I just get "
    > and that is it. Adobe does not respond to any e-mail.
    Did you read the technote on just this issue at

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/go/4a8d52ae[/url]
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  6. #6

    I followed your recipe, but it did not have the same affect on mine as it did
    on yours. I wish it had. I was very hopeful when I found the Macromedia
    folder under one user but not Administrator. I don't have mine set up for
    different users to login. I'm the only one. Anyway, I put that folder as you
    did, but it still won't install.

    Thanks -- Doug

    Bigdog57 Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, I had seen the Tech notes and followed the instructions. The remedy was
    to remove a file/folder from the registry, but it did not exist in my registry.
    Once again, I was very hopeful when their notes described by exact problem,
    but their suggestions didn't work. Maybe someone else will have another idea.
    I would really like Adobe to reply.
    I have no problem in Firefox reading the web pages with flash content. It is
    just that the IE part will not install. Firefox uses different files.

    Thanks -- Doug

    Bigdog57 Guest

  8. #8

    I can feel your frustration. Many times solutions helped other people except
    for me. Did you uninstall flashplayer before you copied the Macromedia folder
    into the Application Data folder of the Administrator folder? (a bit confusing,
    I know) I uninstalled the flashplayer, using the latest uninstaller, then
    rebooted my computer and finally came to that solution of copying and pasting
    the Macromedia folder.

    Lena86 Guest

  9. #9

    One of the things that I did when I began having problems installing version 9
    was to follow Adobe's directions of uninstalling previous versions. That was
    the point where I began having problems. Not only could I not install version
    9, but I lost all Flash recognition on web sites. I have follow suggestions of
    looking through the registry for certain entries that need to be deleted. I
    have tried to install versions 7 & 8, but ran into the error -- INF Install
    Failure Reason: Unknown. So, there's nothing left to uninstall and nothing
    will install. Big-time bummer!

    Bigdog57 Guest

  10. #10

    I was having the exact same problem as Doug (BigDog57). I tried everything
    listed here and on other sites to get Flash to install and nothing worked.
    Finally I got it to install by doing the following. I have 2 users under
    Windows XP for my wife and me. I had been trying everything using my id.
    Finally I unistalled Flash using the Adobe uninstall tool. Then I switched to
    my wife's id - leaving mine logged in too. I opened IE (IE 7) and went to the
    Adobe flash install page and was able to install it under her id with no
    problem. Then I switched back to my id, opened IE 7, and verified that flash
    was still not working for me. At that point I was able to go to the Adobe site
    and install it under my id with no problem.

    Galkhfasljkhf Guest

  11. #11

    That was very creative! I don't quite know how to take what you did and try it
    on mine. I don't have any other users except me Owner the Administrator. I
    did not want to have to log in to Windows and enter passwords. I have a
    quadriplegic and use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to do everything on my computer.
    I never touch a keyboard, because I can't use it. Windows has to completely
    install and load NaturallySpeaking before I can use my computer. If I have
    other users, I would have to choose when Windows starts up and at that point
    NaturallySpeaking has not loaded yet. I am afraid of creating another user to
    try your solution for fear of not being able to delete it without leaving the
    login screen for me. I can't have a login screen for my system to work with my
    voice input program.
    Any thoughts?

    -- Doug

    Bigdog57 Guest

  12. #12

    I, too, have been unable to install flash player. This is so frustrating! I
    followed all the suggestions and spent too much time for nothing. Now I know
    why they make it so hard for us to contact them for tech support.

    mn_browneyedgirl Guest

  13. #13

    I have this problem too. FP works in Firefox but not in IE. I had IE8,
    uninstalled it and am now on IE6. Still it won't work.
    The problem is not only in the websites but in MSN too. I can't see/use winks
    anymore because it keeps asking for a new flash version.

    Why is there no answer from anyone of Adobe?

    Sesamboy Guest

  14. #14

    > Why is there no answer from anyone of Adobe

    Because this is not the place to get answers or support from Adobe. That is
    not its purpose. It is a forum that they host so that customers can help
    each other. If you want help from Adobe, I'm afraid you have to pay for it,
    or search for information in their technotes.
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  15. #15

    We are not questioning why Adobe is not responding to this forum, rather the
    places on Adobe's web site to contact them. We know that this is a public
    forum that is not monitored by Adobe. However, whenever a company's web site
    has a place to contact them, they should show us the decency of responding.

    Having said that.... My problem has been solved, but not by anything I did
    intentionally. I was installing some software to run a new piece of hardware I
    just got to organize CDs. While the software was installing I noticed it was
    installing Flash Player. It was not the latest version, but at least now I get
    some Flash. I am afraid to go to Adobe's web site to try to download version
    9. At this point I am paranoid! As long as I have something, I am a happy
    camper.

    Bigdog57 Guest

  16. #16

    > We are not questioning why Adobe is not responding to this forum

    A lot of people do, though, and seem to expect Adobe personell to monitor
    their own forums and answer questions. Other companies DO work that way,
    Adobe is one that doesn't (probably due to the large amount of traffic, and
    because then they couldn't charge for support if it can be gotten for free
    from here :))
    > rather the
    > places on Adobe's web site to contact them.
    Adobe charges for support .. I don't think they will just give you answers
    directly for free.

    They do publish answers in technotes .. that's the place to get 'answers'
    from Adobe if you don't want to pay (althought some techontes end up being
    excuses for why things don't work as they should ;) )
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  17. #17

    I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, when it comes to a company the
    size of Adobe, these public forums are about all we have. Fortunately, though,
    there are a lot of very sharp people out there to give good advice to those of
    us fumbling around in the dark. :-(

    Thanks for the input!

    Bigdog57 Guest

  18. #18

    Hey something that worked for me was i had to upgrade my java to 5.0 update 9
    and restart. then i uninstalled all flash players. uninstall_flash_player.exe (
    and reinstalled flash 9 with no troubles so far only 2 dys but its working
    good.

    lamb of trivium Guest

  19. #19

    Hi all

    I've been having the same problem, I tried to upgrade to the latest version of
    Flash Player and was using IE7. When the upgrade failed I tried uninstalling
    the old version first, after which I could not get Flash to re-install. After
    a lot of digging around however I've managed to find a fix. I removed the
    directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash and also ran the Flash
    un-installer (although I don't think this step was necessary). I think
    rebooted my machine and logged on to the Adobe Website, this time when I
    clicked on the install Flash player it all worked fine.

    I'm hoping this solves the problem for everyone else as I know just how
    frustrating this problem is once Flash has been removed from the machine.

    Thanks !

    Dan

    DanB-UK Guest

  20. #20

    Actually there are ton of threads on this. "By Design" Microsoft has removed
    almost all of it's previous functionality in order to add the new tabbing
    system. Flash players and many standard addins no longer work. Microsofts
    answer for this is to disable and uninstall all addins and some how thing the
    internet is going to remove all multimedia. The best aswer for you is to
    uninstall ie7. You system will revert back to IE6 and things will all work
    again. However, in many cases services installed with ie7 and not uninstalled
    with the ie7 uninstaller will also cause problems. The only solution to this
    is to re-install service pack2. Make sure any time you are prompted about
    overwriting a file that is newer than the one in sp2 that you choose to
    overwrite the new file. Things like network connections and other problems
    will persist if you don't.

    lamb of trivium Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast