Professional Web Applications Themes

Unable to partition for Debian Install - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have used other distros in the past, but I am struggling with a Debian install. I am using a 2gb hdd that I had a previous IPCop installation on. I have created partitions as follows hda1 10mb Linux hda2 500mb Linux swap hda3 1490 Linux When I try initializing hda2 as swap I get: The swap partition could not be initialized. The initialize and mount of hda3 as / works fine. The initialize of hda1 works, but the mount of hda1 as /boot fails with: Failed to create directory /target/boot: Input/output error I have made hda1 bootable and I ...

  1. #1

    Default Unable to partition for Debian Install

    I have used other distros in the past, but I am struggling with a Debian
    install.

    I am using a 2gb hdd that I had a previous IPCop installation on.
    I have created partitions as follows

    hda1 10mb Linux
    hda2 500mb Linux swap
    hda3 1490 Linux

    When I try initializing hda2 as swap I get:
    The swap partition could not be initialized.

    The initialize and mount of hda3 as / works fine.

    The initialize of hda1 works, but the mount of hda1 as /boot fails with:
    Failed to create directory /target/boot: Input/output error

    I have made hda1 bootable and I have run a bad-block scan on the initialize.

    Can anyone help, I really want to try Debian out.

    Trev.

    ---

    Trevor Henderson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unable to partition for Debian Install

    In article <NWEab.2457$562.2304news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, Trevor Henderson wrote:
    > I have used other distros in the past, but I am struggling with a Debian
    > install.
    >
    > I am using a 2gb hdd that I had a previous IPCop installation on.
    > I have created partitions as follows
    >
    > hda1 10mb Linux
    > hda2 500mb Linux swap
    > hda3 1490 Linux
    >
    > When I try initializing hda2 as swap I get:
    > The swap partition could not be initialized.
    >
    > The initialize and mount of hda3 as / works fine.
    >
    > The initialize of hda1 works, but the mount of hda1 as /boot fails with:
    > Failed to create directory /target/boot: Input/output error
    >
    > I have made hda1 bootable and I have run a bad-block scan on the initialize.
    >
    > Can anyone help, I really want to try Debian out.
    >
    > Trev.
    Sounds to me like a bad hard drive. Is there a way for you to verify
    the integrity of the drives (e.g. verify install of some other
    distribution works okay.)

    -Joe

    debian user since '99

    John Doe Guest

  3. #3

    Your right, planned to install to a 2gb and use the 20gb as file server.
    Binned the 2gb and install going OK.

    Thanks
    Trev.

    --

    Henderson wrote:
    > > I have used other distros in the past, but I am struggling with a Debian
    > > install.
    > >
    > > I am using a 2gb hdd that I had a previous IPCop installation on.
    > > I have created partitions as follows
    > >
    > > hda1 10mb Linux
    > > hda2 500mb Linux swap
    > > hda3 1490 Linux
    > >
    > > When I try initializing hda2 as swap I get:
    > > The swap partition could not be initialized.
    > >
    > > The initialize and mount of hda3 as / works fine.
    > >
    > > The initialize of hda1 works, but the mount of hda1 as /boot fails with:
    > > Failed to create directory /target/boot: Input/output error
    > >
    > > I have made hda1 bootable and I have run a bad-block scan on the
    initialize.

    > > Can anyone help, I really want to try Debian out.
    > >
    > > Trev.
    >
    > Sounds to me like a bad hard drive. Is there a way for you to verify
    > the integrity of the drives (e.g. verify install of some other
    > distribution works okay.)
    >
    > -Joe
    >
    > debian user since '99

    ---

    Trevor Henderson Guest

  4. #4

    Trevor Henderson on Friday 19 September 2003 08:12 wrote:
    > I have used other distros in the past, but I am struggling with a
    > Debian install.
    >
    > I am using a 2gb hdd that I had a previous IPCop installation on.
    > I have created partitions as follows
    >
    > hda1 10mb Linux
    > hda2 500mb Linux swap
    > hda3 1490 Linux
    >
    > When I try initializing hda2 as swap I get:
    > The swap partition could not be initialized.
    How did you try to "initialize" swap? Have you set the partition type
    to 82 hex, Linux swap? (You do this with fdisk.) Did you 'mkswap
    /dev/hda2',then 'swapon'?

    > The initialize and mount of hda3 as / works fine.
    >
    > The initialize of hda1 works, but the mount of hda1 as /boot fails
    > with: Failed to create directory /target/boot: Input/output error
    Have you mounted hda3, /, prior to trying to mount hda1, which will be
    mounted on /?
    > I have made hda1 bootable and I have run a bad-block scan on the
    > initialize.
    You should should run a bad-block scan on all the partitions prior to
    mounting them, just to be safe. I prefer the destructive read-write
    type check. More discerning. Takes a lot longer, but you get what
    you pay for.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    [email]tootek2[/email]