Professional Web Applications Themes

Unable to resize win partition in mdk 9.1 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Sorry to ask what will probably be a simple question. I have already posted in alt.os.linux.mandrake without a successful answer. Apologies to anyone who has already read it I am running Mandrake Powerpack 9.1 and W2K dual booted on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000, PIII 1Ghz with 20Gb HDD. I have just installed Mandrake several times but no matter which way I do the partitioning part of the install, (auto or manual), I can't get the windows partition to below 17541Mb. I want to get it to around 10Gb. I have googled and not really come up with anything other ...

  1. #1

    Default Unable to resize win partition in mdk 9.1

    Sorry to ask what will probably be a simple question.
    I have already posted in alt.os.linux.mandrake without a successful
    answer. Apologies to anyone who has already read it

    I am running Mandrake Powerpack 9.1 and W2K dual booted on a Toshiba
    Satellite Pro 6000, PIII 1Ghz with 20Gb HDD.

    I have just installed Mandrake several times but no matter which way I
    do the partitioning part of the install, (auto or manual), I can't get
    the windows partition to below 17541Mb. I want to get it to around
    10Gb.

    I have googled and not really come up with anything other than 'use
    diskdrake' which I have. This doesn't do anything either and will only
    let me increase the windows partition size, but is set to the minimum
    17541Mb as in the installation.

    I have also seen some mention of gnu's parted but i believe this does
    not resize NTFS partitions. Besides, shouldn't I be able to do it in
    diskdrake?

    I am not sure of what you would require in the way of configuration
    files, or any other information, just let me know and I will try and
    get them posted up here.

    Many Thanks in advance.

    SJW
    A.C.S. Ltd.
    Lurch Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unable to resize win partition in mdk 9.1

    Lurch <you> wrote:

    This is a windows question, not a linux question. Just "remove it"
    will do what you want. It will make it zero size.

    Obviously you have some hidden files - or else some kind of motor
    deficiency in your mouse/typing skills. We can't tell unless YOU tell
    us exactly what you see and do.

    What makes you think it's a minimum?

    It does whatever it does. Check! You mean it's ntfs? Well convert it
    to fat then, and then use whatever partition tool you like. Anyway,.
    why do you care? Isn't 17GB small enough for you at the moment?
    Shrink it some mnore later.

    No. Theer is no "should". Obviously it can't shrink below the space
    actually occupied. It's up to you to free it first, including hidden
    and system files. Try del/r/s c:\, or whatever.

    Any info at all would be helpful. You didn't provide any. But anyway,
    it's a windows problem, so ask in a windows group "how do I shrink
    a windows ntfs partition to below 10GB".

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  3. #3

    Just a few thoughts Lurch...

    I'm wondering if diskdrake is detecting that you have fragmented data on
    the ntfs partition up to 17541GB and the program is "playing it safe"...
    Have you tried defragmenting your ntfs partition? I know programs like
    PartitionMagic don't really care 2 hoots about defragging - I suppose it
    defrags where it has to. The best info I've got so far is that ntfs support
    in Linux is "experimental" so defragging may not be built into diskdrake.

    If you don't have a different partitioning tool (legal or otherwise), the
    Ranish Partition Manager is supposed to be pretty good and is a freebie. I
    haven't used it myself but the reports are good... Just remember the
    standard cop out - backup first. I didn't when I created a new partition
    out of free space with W2K's own tool on a dual boot. I wasn't vary
    pleased...

    Seems like you got your head torn off for asking. Shame really and not very
    helpful.
    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:59:31 GMT, Mike H <com.au> wrote:

    Thankyou very much for the reply Mike.
    I was toying with the idea of ghosting the W2K partition to another
    machine on the network then using a partitioning tool to do the
    partitioning, then re-insert W2K into the appropriate place on the new
    partitions. Now you have just convinced me this is the way to go.
    If NTFS support is "experimental" I don't think I'll rely on the
    partitions being too 'configurable' in the future.
    I've just taken a PIII 400, (I think!), out of a clients so that will
    now be my main Linux server box. The laptop is going to be for the
    basic learning in Linux while out and about so hopefully shouldn't
    need too much fettling.
    Thanks once again.

    SJW
    A.C.S. Ltd.
    Lurch Guest

  5. #5

    Mike H <com.au> wrote in message

    That's how it works. Turning off virtual memory, hibernation, system
    recovery can help. They need lots of space and usually they are
    located at the end of the partition.

    Good idea also.

    No, that's the old NTFS driver. What Mandrake (and SUSE) use is a
    rewritten driver backported from the 2.6 kernel. It's stable but the
    functionality is restricted, i.e.experimental code is not released for
    public use by the new developers.

    True. The NTFS defragmentation feature is available only in the
    development version of the open source NTFS resizer because it is
    experimental (http://linux-ntfs.sf.net). When it will be released as
    stable, I'm sure Mandrake 10 (or 10.1/11?) will have it. Mandrake is
    pretty fast adapting new technologies :-)

    Ranish can't resize NTFS at all.

    I agree, shame indeed.
    Sz. Guest