Professional Web Applications Themes

Unable to Save/Save As/close Word XP file with Acrobat 5.0 installed - Adobe Acrobat Windows

One of my user is having this problem on her Windows XP PC: Dell GX260 with Windows XP Professional running 512MB RAM, Office XP, Acrobat 5.0 When opening a Word file & edited in Word XP, the user cannot SAVE or use SAVE AS the file, when try to exit out the file, get prompt to either SAVE, CLOSE, or CANCEL the file, at that point it will still not save the file, the only way to exit the file is to hot CLOSE to exit. I initially thought this might be a Word Xp problem, so I ran the ...

  1. #1

    Default Unable to Save/Save As/close Word XP file with Acrobat 5.0 installed

    One of my user is having this problem on her Windows XP PC:

    Dell GX260 with Windows XP Professional running 512MB RAM, Office XP, Acrobat 5.0

    When opening a Word file & edited in Word XP, the user cannot SAVE or use SAVE AS the file, when try to exit out the file, get prompt to either SAVE, CLOSE, or CANCEL the file, at that point it will still not save the file, the only way to exit the file is to hot CLOSE to exit.

    I initially thought this might be a Word Xp problem, so I ran the repair tool in Office XP, that did not fix it.

    I then uninstalled Office XP, reinstalled Office XP, but that also did not fix the problem.

    I then ran the Office update to download the latest patches from MicroSoft, but that also did not fix the problem.

    I then UNINSTALLED Acrobat 5.0 from the PC, that FIXED the problem.
    With Acrobat 5.0, the user was able to open & edit a Word file, and are now able to SAVE the file, use SAVE AS to file the file as a new copy.

    I then reinstalled Acrobat 5.0 thinking the previous copy on the PC might be corrupted, as soon as Acrobat 5.0 was back on the PC, the same problem with the SAVE feature came back in Word XP.

    I then installed the patch update for Acrobat 5.0, that did not fix the problem.

    At this point, I am out of clues on how to fix it....The user tried Acrobat 6.0 before on the same PC, but decided to reverse back to Acrobat 5.0 because of format problem with 6.0.......so Acrobat 6.0 is not an option for this user.

    Any help wil be much appreciated.
    Keith_Luk@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Keith

    Am I correct in saying that the problem is that your user cannot save a Word doent? If this is the case then I would also ask in an MS forum.

    You need to be running Acrobat 5.0.5 for compatibility with both Office XP and WinXP.

    The only thing that spring to mind (for I have not heard of this before) is to check the folpwing folder - or equivalent:

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Startup

    You need to have PDFMaker present in this folder to have the PDFMaker present in Word.
    Try moving the PDFMaker.dot file out of this folder and then starting Word - do you have the same problem?
    If you have any other files present here then try removing them and trying to launch Word - with the PDFMaker still present.
    Jonathan_H@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I just realized that I made a typo on my original post below:

    I meant to say:

    I then UNINSTALLED Acrobat 5.0 from the PC, that FIXED the problem.

    WITHOUT Acrobat 5.0 on her PC, the user was now able to open & edit a Word file, and able to SAVE the edited file, also able use SAVE AS to save the file as a new copy.

    Thanks for the suggestion, will try that on Monday, and will also post this question on the MS Forum.

    Thanks again.
    Keith_Luk@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Jonathan H,

    Your suggestion on removing the PDFmaker.dot from

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Startup

    worked. The user can now save any existing or new Word file.

    Thanks!
    Keith_Luk@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Keith, it may have worked but now the user will be unable create a PDF by using the PDFMaker icons in Word.

    The chances are that there is some other file in this folder that is conflicting with PDFMaker.dot. It may be a good idea to try and find out what this is - and if it is necessary.

    If both PDFMaker and the other file are required then it may be an idea to keep the PDFMaker.dot in a location where it can be replaced easily should the user require it.
    Jonathan_H@adobeforums.com Guest