Professional Web Applications Themes

Unable to start debugging on a web server. - ASP.NET Security

Hi , I have an ASP.NET web service running on a Windows 2000 Server (WHICH IS NOT A DOMAIN CONTROLLER). Since I wanted to access a remote database on my intranet , I set up my ASp.NET worker process(aspnet_wp.exe) to run under a domain account(<domainname>\meenaaspnet). Everything is workimg fine. I can access my remote database also. However when I try to debug my program (using F11) it gives me this error. "Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debugging on a web server. Catastrophic failure" I can however run my application if I choose the option to Start without ...

  1. #1

    Default Unable to start debugging on a web server.

    Hi ,

    I have an ASP.NET web service running on a Windows 2000
    Server (WHICH IS NOT A DOMAIN CONTROLLER). Since I wanted
    to access a remote database on my intranet , I set up my
    ASp.NET worker process(aspnet_wp.exe) to run under a
    domain account(<domainname>\meenaaspnet). Everything is
    workimg fine. I can access my remote database also.
    However when I try to debug my program (using F11) it
    gives me this error.

    "Error while trying to run project:Unable to start
    debugging on a web server. Catastrophic failure"

    I can however run my application if I choose the option to
    Start without debugging.
    What do I do?
    Meena Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unable to start debugging on a web server.

    Are you running as an admin? Debugger user? The problem could be with
    debugging into a process owned by another user. What I do is this (which you
    actually have to do in order to debug as a non-admin user):

    - Set up my user name and password encrypted in the registry using
    aspnet_setreg
    - Change my machine.config to use my user name and password for aspnet_wp
    - Configure IIS to use a separate, low privileged domain account for
    anonymous access
    - Configure my web site to use impersonation

    Since I use anonymous on IIS and forms on ASP.NET, this allows me to debug
    as a non-admin (it's my process, so I can do that) while still passing
    credentials that only allow the process to do what it needs to do, and no
    more.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer
    "Meena" <meenaisiusa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi ,
    >
    > I have an ASP.NET web service running on a Windows 2000
    > Server (WHICH IS NOT A DOMAIN CONTROLLER). Since I wanted
    > to access a remote database on my intranet , I set up my
    > ASp.NET worker process(aspnet_wp.exe) to run under a
    > domain account(<domainname>\meenaaspnet). Everything is
    > workimg fine. I can access my remote database also.
    > However when I try to debug my program (using F11) it
    > gives me this error.
    >
    > "Error while trying to run project:Unable to start
    > debugging on a web server. Catastrophic failure"
    >
    > I can however run my application if I choose the option to
    > Start without debugging.
    > What do I do?

    Chris Jackson Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks a lot Chris! Here is my situation in detail.
    I have already created a domain account and I have
    configured mymachine.config (<processmodel>section) so
    that ASP.NET process runs with that account. On my local
    system where I have my web server and my asp.net web
    service application , I have logged in as a local
    administrator. Additionally , I have configured my domain
    account to be part of Debugger Users group on my local
    system( I could not do it on the domain controller as I
    cannot see that group there. Is it because .NET is not
    installed on my domain controller ?)

    Next my IIS is configured for Integrated Windows
    Authentication and No anonymous login. Since I am using
    Windows mode of authentication in my machine.config , I
    see that enabling anonymous access does not make my
    ASP.NET process to work. I had a hard time to figure this
    out.

    So with this in place I am happliy runnning my ASP.nET
    process fine , hotsing my asp.net webservice , reading
    from a remote database and whenever I want to debug I
    manually attach to the process aspnet_wp.exe.

    Chris , can i retain all my settings this way ( in IIS and
    machine.config ) and still make my debugging work ? I do
    not understand why I am not able to debug when I am a
    local adminisrtor and also the account running ASP.NET is
    assigned to Debugger Users .

    Thanks in advance ,

    Meena

    Meena Guest