Professional Web Applications Themes

Unable to view pics on 2nd computer. - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I resized some pictures on my computer, but when i try to view them on my laptop some of them don't show up. Except for a couple rotations and scaling all I did was resize. Why do I see some images and don't see some. This is using thumbnails, IE, and Windows Picture Viewer. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Unable to view pics on 2nd computer.

    I resized some pictures on my computer,
    but when i try to view them on my laptop
    some of them don't show up. Except for
    a couple rotations and scaling all I did
    was resize. Why do I see some images
    and don't see some. This is using thumbnails,
    IE, and Windows Picture Viewer.

    Thanks
    N P Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unable to view pics on 2nd computer.

    As this is a Photoshop Elements forum there's not a lot we can do for you here.
    Mark Reibman Guest

  3. #3

    I'm using Photoshop Elements 2. Can
    I get help now.
    N P Guest

  4. #4

    N P,

    Can you give us a little more information.

    By not show up, do you mean you don't see them in Windows Explorer at all or
    do you mean you have the thumbnail option enabled in Explorere but you see
    an icon for the file instead of a picture? If you double click on the file
    name does the Windows Picture Viewer display the image?

    We would like to help if we could but it's hard to figure out without
    knowing what operation system you have (I'm guessing Windows XP), what file
    format you are saving the photos in (jpg, psd, something else???), and the
    answers to the other questions.

    Do you have the thumbnail option enabled in Elements? Open an image, open
    the "save as" option and look to see if the thumbnail box at the bottom has
    a checkmark.

    RobertHJones Guest

  5. #5

  6. #6

    NP, check backwards in the thread; you'll see that RobertHJones has asked you some questions that will help shed light on the problem. If you come back with those answers, help may be on the way!
    Chuck Snyder Guest

  7. #7

    Robert

    Thanks for the assistance. I might have
    additional problems.

    Robert to answer your question.

    I'm using Windows XP Pro on the computer
    that has Adobe Photoshop Elements. I am
    using Windows XP Home on the laptop. I'm
    trying to view the pictures off of a
    shared drive from the WinXP Pro system.

    I have the thumbnail option enabled in
    Explorer and yes you are correct. I see
    an icon for the file instead of a picture.
    When I double click on the file name
    Windows Picture Viewer shows "No preview
    available". I'm saving all the pics as
    jpg. When I open the image and do "save as"
    the thumbnail box at the bottom has a
    checkmark, but it grayed out.

    So i decided to actually copy the
    unviewable pics to the laptop. And they
    are all viewable off the laptop's drive.
    They also open in Windows Picture Viewer.

    I guess I can live with copying the pics
    over, but if anyone can offer insight into
    why this is happening that will be great.

    Thanks again for the assistance.
    N P Guest

  8. #8

    Sorry

    I didn't realize I had posted twice.
    N P Guest

  9. #9

    N P,

    Thanks for the additional information.

    Since the copied files work fine under XP home on the laptop, the files are
    OK. One of the causes of this type of error ("No preview available") is
    using a compressed image, this usually happens to AOL users who download
    images off of the Internet -- AOL and Compuserve compress by default. This
    is definitely not your problem. It would appear that the problem somehow
    relates to the XP Pro system and quite probably the file system on that
    shared drive.

    The other case I've seen with "No preview available" is when an encrypting
    file system is used and the keys are missing or corrupted or the permissions
    are not allowing this access. I'm wondering if this may be part of the
    problem. XP Pro does support an encrypted file system using NTFS while XP
    Home does not. Have you checked your permissions on the shared drive?

    A couple of more questions. On the XP pro system, are you using NTFS on
    that drive? I'm guessing you are, a FAT or FAT32 partition wouldn't be
    expected to appear or behave differently on the two systems. Does the
    thumbnail show up on the XP Pro system and does Picture Viewer work as well?
    If it does, it pretty well points to a difference in the way the file system
    is handled.

    I'm not sure what the greyed out thumbnail option in PSE implies in this
    case. Options that are not available or applicable are greyed out. Why
    that should be the case is puzzling.

    How are you copying the file to the XP home system?

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  10. #10

    Bob

    Both systems use NTFS. I might have a
    permission problem, since i have no
    problem copying from XP Pro to XP Home(laptop).
    But copying from XP Home to XP Pro gives
    my errors occasionally. The thumbnails show up in
    the XP Pro system and the Picture
    Viewer works there also.

    I was able to copy the files from XP Pro to XP Home
    using the XP Pro system. Trying
    it the other way did not work. I definitely
    have a permission problem some where.

    I never mentioned it, but the viewable pics
    and unviewable ones are in the same directory.

    Thanks.
    Nigel
    N P Guest