Professional Web Applications Themes

"Unavailable" account IDs at Yahoo, et al. - Mac Networking

I try to create an account at several free e-mail hosts, and using IDs that actually have *some* relation to my name, etc. The creation bot won't accept these IDs, saying that they are "not available". Yet when I send a test message to these addresses, the mail server at Yahoo, etc. says that there is no such account. What gives? Why are these IDs not available, if there is no account in that name? It seems that the only possible name it will let me choose is com, or such... Thanks, -- DaveC net This is an invalid return ...

  1. #1

    Default "Unavailable" account IDs at Yahoo, et al.

    --
    DaveC
    net

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: "Unavailable" account IDs at Yahoo, et al.

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    I've had the same problem trying to create an AIM screen name. Even
    given the number of people online these days, it's hard to believe that
    everything I come up with is already taken. I don't want a screen name
    with a bunch of random numbers on the end...

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  3. #3

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:19:50 -0800, Tom Harrington wrote
    (in article <tph-B9BD98.18195022012004localhost>):

    My only conclusion is that the mail services are trying to second-guess the
    spammers.

    The easiest form of spam attack is a dictionary attack. Going through the
    list of dictionary words and common English given names (Albert, Bob
    Charles, David...) is the first attempt of any spammer. If no error is
    returned from the mail server, it's a good address.

    I guess Yahoo, et. al. would rather inconvenience potential users by making
    these common IDs "unavailable" rather than having to deal with the volume of
    spam -- and complaints resulting from this spam -- that they would invite.

    But come on. How popular a spam target is com likely to be? Some
    other criteria must be used by these web mail services that we're not privy
    to.

  4. #4

    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    I don't know if this is also true for Yahoo, but AOL keeps the screen
    names from inactivated accounts on hold for something like six months so
    that the original account holder can get them back if they decide to
    reenlist.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g808kn.al7011e3lp6yN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > I don't know if this is also true for Yahoo, but AOL keeps the screen
    > names from inactivated accounts on hold for something like six months so
    > that the original account holder can get them back if they decide to
    > reenlist.[/ref]

    It also keeps the new person from getting a lot of email that's intended
    for the previous account holder.
    Wayne Guest

  6. #6

    In article <1g808kn.al7011e3lp6yN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > I don't know if this is also true for Yahoo, but AOL keeps the screen
    > names from inactivated accounts on hold for something like six months so
    > that the original account holder can get them back if they decide to
    > reenlist.[/ref]

    I've heard this before. However it would only affect cases where the
    name had previously been in use. That's the part I've found hard to
    believe.

  7. #7

    DaveC <net> wrote:

    Understandable, seeing how miserable Yahoo's spam blocking is.
    They are still not capable of bouncing those sven worm emails back to
    the sender!

    --
    madiba
    madiba Guest

  8. #8

    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    Bear in mind that this includes all the people who sign up with AOL and
    keep their accounts active only during the initial free period, and many
    of those may be using multiple screen names.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  9. #9

    In article <1g8105n.19pcvxbhevcuvN%com>,
    com (madiba) wrote:

    > Understandable, seeing how miserable Yahoo's spam blocking is.
    > They are still not capable of bouncing those sven worm emails back to
    > the sender![/ref]

    Is anybody? Doesn't the worm fake the "From" address? So isn't it a good
    thing _not_ to bounce them back to a "sender" who probably didn't send
    them?
    --
    D.F. Manno
    net

  10. #10

    DaveC wrote:

    It is possible to have a Yahoo account without having a Yahoo Mail
    address - your Yahoo Mail address is reserved even if you never signed
    up for the Mail part of Yahoo.
    David Guest

  11. #11

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    "You are currently exceeding your Yahoo! Mail storage quota by a very
    large amount. You are only allowed -2048.0MB of storage but you are
    currently using 0.4MB of storage. Your account has been temporarily
    disabled from receiving new messages."

    http://www.theregister.com/2004/06/15/yahoo_upgrade_email/
    Kevin Guest

  12. #12

    Kevin McMurtrie <com> writes: [/ref]

    You might consider asking the nice folks over at Yahoo.

    However, just because a userid doesn't have a valid e-mail
    address (ie. com) doesn't in any way mean
    that that userid should be available. UserIDs are used for
    things other than e-mail. So your test message tells you
    nothing whatsoever.

    Cute, but kind of silly. So they had a glitch. They also
    suffered badly with the DoS attack which hit akamai yesterday,
    too.

    That all said, while I have a yahoo mail account (I've had
    it for something like 7 years), I'm not a huge fan of it.
    Their webmail interface gets more and more laden with
    javascript, and they still don't offer IMAP or SMTP, even
    as paid options.

    There are much better mail systems out there.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  13. #13

    In article <panix.com>,
    net wrote:
     [/ref]

    > You might consider asking the nice folks over at Yahoo.
    >
    > However, just because a userid doesn't have a valid e-mail
    > address (ie. com) doesn't in any way mean
    > that that userid should be available. UserIDs are used for
    > things other than e-mail. So your test message tells you
    > nothing whatsoever.[/ref]

    Don't know specifically about yahoo, but where I worked before, IDs that
    had been used before were held for a time in case that user came back.
    Some IDs that were inactive were never released because they had been
    used for special purposes.

    Also, spammers guessing addresses is a big problem. Yahoo may be
    preventing easy targets to reduce the waste by spammers that cause
    complaints from customers.

    --
    Walt Sellers
    Computer Engineer For Hire

  14. #14

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Kevin McMurtrie <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I think that it is because those IDs had been used at one time, and
    Yahoo does not recycle IDs.

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
    Michelle Guest

  15. #15

    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > I think that it is because those IDs had been used at one time, and
    > Yahoo does not recycle IDs.[/ref]

    Or they are reserving names for their paid accounts.. ?

    After several years with a (free) 6MB account today Yahoo announced its
    been increased to 100MB. Guess I 'paid' for it by wading thru 1000s of
    spams..

    --
    RL
    Ray Guest