Professional Web Applications Themes

Unbiased opinions needed - Mac Portable

H.B. Elkins wrote: > I've used Macs since 1987 and also spent six years in a Windows NT > (ugh!) work environment. My work PC now has Windows 2000 on it. I have > more Mac experience and currently find the Mac OS (9.2.2, anyway) > easier to use, but I haven't taken the time to refamiliarize myself > with Windows. I realize OS 9 is important to you for your own reasons. But IMO, recommending it to a new Mac user is on a par with setting up a new PC user with Windows 95 (or even 3.1!). To ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    H.B. Elkins wrote:
    > I've used Macs since 1987 and also spent six years in a Windows NT
    > (ugh!) work environment. My work PC now has Windows 2000 on it. I have
    > more Mac experience and currently find the Mac OS (9.2.2, anyway)
    > easier to use, but I haven't taken the time to refamiliarize myself
    > with Windows.
    I realize OS 9 is important to you for your own reasons. But IMO,
    recommending it to a new Mac user is on a par with setting up a new PC
    user with Windows 95 (or even 3.1!).

    To the OP: if you finally opt for the Mac, do yourself a favor and stick
    with OS X.
    > If you're starting from scratch, truthfully, I'd go with the PC. I've
    > stuck with the Mac because I already have a lot invested in software.
    > I've been heartened to see that the new Mac G5s offer OS 9 as a boot
    > option,
    Where did you hear that? AFAIK the G5 does not boot OS 9. On the other
    hand, all the G4 towers being sold until the G5s ship do boot OS 9.
    Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

    Watt Guest

  2. #22

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    My recommendation is that you do the following:

    1) Spend time expanding the description of what you want to use the computer
    for. For some reason people tend to purchase computers and describe only
    the basic need for them...the trigger decision on what made them decide to
    purchase one.

    Are you leaving anything out of your description? It seems a little odd
    that you'd have PhotoShop by itself...is this for print, photo, web
    publishing?

    This is much like buying a car to drive from home to a new job. All of a
    sudden you'll start realizing there are all kinds of places you'll be going
    to.

    You're looking at getting a laptop...would you want to use it to play DVDs?
    Would you use it to store a library of MP3s? Would you ever get a digital
    camera?

    2) Go to an APPLE store (if possible) and PC store and spend some time
    having a salesperson show you how to do what it is that you want to do.

    Apple Store employees are really good, and many other stores have great
    Apple salespeople too. However, there are always going to be a few
    not-so-good people or people having bad days. The point that I'm getting at
    is that if you walk into a crappy store, get a sales having a bad day
    showing you a demo unit that some monkey on crack was just pounding away at,
    and then only spend 2 minutes making an evaluation, you'll probably not come
    close to what the overall experience will be with a Mac (same with a PC).

    I'd recommend making a few visits and talking to a few salespeople. You
    spent the time posting a well written enquiry here so obviously this is
    important enough to you to spend the time making a really good evaluation.

    It's also one that involves more than just money. You're going to invest a
    hell of a lot of time learning, configuring, and using either system. The
    amount of time you spend evaluating which is best will be only a fraction.

    As you compare the two, ask the salespeople questions, but get written
    answers for anything spec as opposed to opinion related...they should all
    have brochures.

    The bottom line is that one should *feel* better to you...go with this
    feeling. There's MS Office for both and Photoshop for both (along with
    thousands of other applications for both).

    Personally, I just can not use Photoshop on a PC. I have the latest version
    for Windows XP, and I've tried almost every version ever made for Windows.
    It just doesn't *feel* right to me.

    I also find OSX to be far better than Windows XP.

    I have several Macs and several PCs. My Macs last twice as long as my PCs.
    I've never purchased a PC, I've only gotten them for free as a result of
    working on projects. If it wasn't for cross-platform development I would
    never have a PC...as a matter of fact, VirtualPC with Windows XP now runs so
    well on my Mac that I tend to use it as opposed to turning on my PC.

    --keved



    in article [email]3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com[/email], [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] at
    [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote on 6/24/03 10:54 PM:
    > I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    > know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    > some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are
    > better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you
    > get my drift).
    >
    > So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    > using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    > and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    > HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    > configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    > turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    >
    > SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    > want the facts
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Angela
    >
    > PS. A notebook is what I am after
    >
    keved Guest

  3. #23

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:47:58 GMT, [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email]
    (H.B. Elkins) wrote:
    >I've been heartened to see that the new Mac G5s offer OS 9 as a boot
    >option, which has caused me to soften my stance that I've bought my
    You mean the "new" Mac G4s at $1299, right?
    >last Mac, but I'm seriously thinking that my next computer purchase
    >will be a PC.
    foo Guest

  4. #24

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    > using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    > and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    > HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    > configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    > turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    Angela, I think you've pretty much made a textbook case for purchasing a
    Macintosh.

    If you want a new system and need maximum portability, I'd suggest a 12"
    Powerbook G4. They're reasonably powerful, although not as much so as
    the larger Powerbooks, and offer a much lower price and much better
    portability.

    You might also want to consider a monitor/keyboard/mouse for home use
    with it; any old USB monitor/keyboard will work, although I suggest a
    Logitech keyboard since they typically include drivers to make the
    keyboard layout make sense or an Apple one (where it always makes sense).

    I hope that in some way helps.

    As for whether or not I'm unbaised: I admit I prefer the Macintosh, but
    I have tons of experience with both systems. In fact, I'm typing this on
    my Windows PC since my Powerbook is in its carrying case ready to go to
    work.... :)

    Steven Fisher Guest

  5. #25

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    Most people feel that the Mac are easier to use but the PC cost less
    and have more application software. The Mac has all the software the
    average person needs. There may not be a dozen software packages to
    pick as on the PC from but there is one that does the job. Mac users
    focus on getting work done, PC users focus on piddling around with
    their computer. PC user like lots of buttons and options to pick
    from. Mac user's like for Apple to figure things out.

    It's hard to pay more for your computer but you will be glad you did
    everyday you use the machine.
    > So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    > using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff),
    MS Office is 100% compatible between Windows and the Mac. Mac Office
    does not include the database program Access.
    > Internet
    > and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    > HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    > configuration settings if my life depended on it.
    Yeah even with Windows XP finding the control panel you need takes
    some time. I think you will be able to do it on the Mac if you want
    too.

    The Mac comes ready to use out of the box. It includes a bunch of
    software. The Windows is ready for you to install your software. The
    first thing you must do on a Windows box is install your software. On
    the Mac, you open the box and get to work.

    Technical note: Goto the site [url]www.washingtonpost.com[/url] on a new a new
    computer. The Mac will be able to view the entire site I do not
    believe a PC will be able too. Mac includes acrobat reader, and
    quicktime. The PC does not. PC user must download and install these
    programs.
    > Basically I want to
    > turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    Get a Mac. Consider the iBook.
    > SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    > want the facts
    I own a Mac but use Windows at work.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Angela
    >
    > PS. A notebook is what I am after
    Get a Mac.
    Robert Guest

  6. #26

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed


    <ryakohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com...
    > I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    > know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    > some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs
    are
    > better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc.
    (you
    > get my drift).
    >
    The short answer is

    1) LESS than 10% of desktop computers in the world are Macs , so the
    other 80% of computers are PCs which means that the PCs are more popular
    and common , have a standardised type of interface , more available
    software applications , and you don't have the problem of converting Mac
    files/formats to PC files/formats when sharing files with other people.

    2) Upgrading , getting /replacing new hardware for Macs is more
    expensive than for PCs because the Mac hardware is proprietary
    hardware and Apple can charge what they want.
    Hardware improvements for the Macs are a lot slower than the PCs because
    the Macs are made by only one company and they use proprietary hardware
    , while the PC hardware is obtained from many different organisations
    and developers who are consistently attempting to develop and improve
    their products.

    Get a PC , you will have less problems overall.
    --

    Sandgroper
    -----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    [email]steverayKNICKERSiinet.net.au[/email]




    Sandgroper Guest

  7. #27

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    Hi Sandgroper,

    I tend to stay away from "platform debates" (to put it mildly), but I am
    interested in your statements:

    Sandgroper wrote:

    (snipped)
    > The short answer is
    >
    > 1) LESS than 10% of desktop computers in the world are Macs , so the
    > other 80% of computers are PCs which means that the PCs are more popular
    > and common , have a standardised type of interface , more available
    > software applications , and you don't have the problem of converting Mac
    > files/formats to PC files/formats when sharing files with other people.
    The statistics of Macs being less than 10% and PC's being 80% of all the
    computers in the world: is it based on 1. the total number of computers
    still in active use, or 2, computer sales over a certain period?

    If it is the former case, it would be hard to count all of them, and
    besides, does firing up a 15-year-old computer every other month for a
    nostalgic game of Pong or whatever count as a computer still in use?

    If it is the latter case, then we have to consider the lifespan of the
    computer itself. It is a fact that Macs remain productive for much longer
    than PCs, where the average lifespan is six years rather than four, there
    are still plenty of 68k machines doing the 9-5; I am not sure if PC users
    would want to soldier on with their 286 machines. Therefore, the number if
    Macs still in use would be several times more than the 10% as stated.

    Regarding format conversion, the original poster did not say that she was
    going to be generating files to be opened on Windows machines. With a copy
    of MacLink Plus Deluxe, she could very well be Microsoft-free and no one
    would know the difference; and then she could also just use SimpleText
    generate text, even some simple word processing, and the resultant file can
    be opened by anything. Mariner can also be used and it can open just about
    any word processing file, and then save a file in any of two-dozen formats.
    No, format conversion is not an issue for the Macintosh user, it is more of
    a problem with the PC user and his complacency.
    > 2) Upgrading , getting /replacing new hardware for Macs is more
    > expensive than for PCs because the Mac hardware is proprietary
    > hardware and Apple can charge what they want.
    > Hardware improvements for the Macs are a lot slower than the PCs because
    > the Macs are made by only one company and they use proprietary hardware
    > , while the PC hardware is obtained from many different organisations
    > and developers who are consistently attempting to develop and improve
    > their products.
    While I am sure that on the PC front the speed of hardware improvements
    occur at a breakneck pace, this also shortens the life cycle of each
    generation of products. While there are countless hardware developers
    competing against each other, the final components they manufacture still
    have to work with each other in the same box, and with Windows running the
    show. While it is debatable whether upgrading Macs is more expensive than
    PCs, it is not realistic to say that the Macintosh platform, being a
    single-sourced product, is less effective than that of a product from many
    sources because Windows is indeed a single-sourced product as well. For my
    money I would rather have the lot from the same manufacturer who would
    ensure everything works together, without the need for assemblers or myself
    to orchestrate all the parts just to make them get on with each other.

    This following link is a page which refers to something a little old, but
    still worth a look perhaps:

    [url]http://www.mackido.com/Myths/Upgrades.html[/url]
    > Get a PC , you will have less problems overall.
    Following your argument, the resolution I can draw just happens to be quite
    the opposite.

    All the best,

    Sam.

    Samuel Tang Guest

  8. #28

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    In article <3ef9e0ea$0$11170echo-01.iinet.net.au>,
    "Sandgroper" <steverayKNICKERSiinet.net.au> wrote:
    > The short answer is
    >
    > 1) LESS than 10% of desktop computers in the world are Macs , so the
    > other 80% of computers are PCs which means that the PCs are more popular
    > and common ,
    Just like McDonalds.
    > have a standardised type of interface ,
    You're kidding, right? The Mac will always win this one based on the
    fact that only one company sets the rules. You silly person.
    > more available
    > software applications ,
    Just how many word processers does one need, exactly?
    > and you don't have the problem of converting Mac
    > files/formats to PC files/formats when sharing files with other people.
    Still the most oft quoted non-reason out there. We Mac people don't need
    to do file translation as often as you all seem to think. The whole
    issue is slowing dying anyway with most file types becoming standarised
    all the time.
    > 2) Upgrading , getting /replacing new hardware for Macs is more
    > expensive than for PCs because the Mac hardware is proprietary
    > hardware and Apple can charge what they want.
    You obviously still don't grasp the concept of overall cost of ownership.
    > Hardware improvements for the Macs are a lot slower than the PCs because
    > the Macs are made by only one company and they use proprietary hardware
    > , while the PC hardware is obtained from many different organisations
    > and developers who are consistently attempting to develop and improve
    > their products.
    Yes, Apple never improves their products. Idiot.
    > Get a PC , you will have less problems overall.
    Laughable at best.
    Vincent Vega Guest

  9. #29

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    You can't go wrong, you'll be happy with either one -- though as a
    lifelong Mac user, I think you'll be happier with a Mac.

    There is, however, one other significantconsideration maybe not yet
    mentioned in this long thread: security.

    If your mchine will, now or later, be connected to any kind of broadband
    netework via DSL, cable modem, Airport, in your home or elsewhere, and
    you go with a Windows machine, there's somewhere between a high
    probability and a virtual certainty that your computer will be hacked
    into over this connection. This may only mean that your email lists
    will be used by spammers, or possibly some of your private files spread
    around, or possibly more serious damage to your data.

    This is much less likely to happen with a Mac, and IMHO is an almost
    compelling reason to go with a Mac.
    AES/newspost Guest

  10. #30

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed


    I'll go in the same direction than Vincent :
    When you get a PC, consider that your main board, processor, video card, sound
    card, modem, network card, screen, CD/DVD unit, keyboard, mouse and Operating
    system are all manufactured by different companies. Are you calling that
    standard? You CAN'T get a standard PC, you can't get a PC and be sure it will
    work, because all the pieces are from different places.

    When you get a MAC, you know that the complete setup is the same for EVERY Mac
    that has the same name. I think THIS is standard, and that this is less worry
    to get a Mac. I would not say that I hate PCs, because there's Linux, but I am
    really sick of Windows users that are thinking that this is the best OS, and
    the only. Windows is definitively not the best(I'd say one of the worse), and
    not the only.

    I'm a Mac and a PC user. These two types of computers are mainly different by
    their way to consider the user. A PC will need more work on it, just to make
    it run. A MAC is way more easy and simple to use. To answer your question,
    Angela, I'd say that you should chose the computer(MAC/PC) you like, with the
    operating system you like(MacOS/Linux). That's a matter of taste.

    François
    (Bonjour chez vous!)

    Vincent Vega a écrit :
    > In article <3ef9e0ea$0$11170echo-01.iinet.net.au>,
    > "Sandgroper" <steverayKNICKERSiinet.net.au> wrote:
    >
    > > The short answer is
    > >
    > > 1) LESS than 10% of desktop computers in the world are Macs , so the
    > > other 80% of computers are PCs which means that the PCs are more popular
    > > and common ,
    >
    > Just like McDonalds.
    >
    > > have a standardised type of interface ,
    >
    > You're kidding, right? The Mac will always win this one based on the
    > fact that only one company sets the rules. You silly person.
    >
    > > more available
    > > software applications ,
    >
    > Just how many word processers does one need, exactly?
    >
    > > and you don't have the problem of converting Mac
    > > files/formats to PC files/formats when sharing files with other people.
    >
    > Still the most oft quoted non-reason out there. We Mac people don't need
    > to do file translation as often as you all seem to think. The whole
    > issue is slowing dying anyway with most file types becoming standarised
    > all the time.
    >
    > > 2) Upgrading , getting /replacing new hardware for Macs is more
    > > expensive than for PCs because the Mac hardware is proprietary
    > > hardware and Apple can charge what they want.
    >
    > You obviously still don't grasp the concept of overall cost of ownership.
    >
    > > Hardware improvements for the Macs are a lot slower than the PCs because
    > > the Macs are made by only one company and they use proprietary hardware
    > > , while the PC hardware is obtained from many different organisations
    > > and developers who are consistently attempting to develop and improve
    > > their products.
    >
    > Yes, Apple never improves their products. Idiot.
    >
    > > Get a PC , you will have less problems overall.
    >
    > Laughable at best.
    François Gagnon Guest

  11. #31

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    Sting <mailask.me.first> wrote:

    In general I have no quarrel with your decision, except:
    > And if I want to do
    > some wireless interetting, I don't have to spend hundreds of Euro's for a
    > broadcaster (Airport),
    Wireless on an Apple is bog standard. You can buy any wireless router
    you want; the Apple one is just a little easier to configure but not by
    a lot.

    (Say, what's the situation in the Netherlands these days? If I tote a
    laptop with me through Amsterdam, where can I access the internet? How
    are smaller towns?)

    V.

    --
    mail me at lastname at cs utk edu
    Victor Eijkhout Guest

  12. #32

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    Christoph Gartmann <gartmannimmunbio.mpg.de> wrote:
    > Anyway, I would like to point out
    > that this reflects mainly OS9 and below and only very few OS-X at the moment.
    My guess is that an OSX machine needs as little service, but your users
    will have less downtime. Rebooting is almost a thing of the past for me.
    Just every couple of weeks, when Apple has a security update and such.

    V.
    --
    mail me at lastname at cs utk edu
    Victor Eijkhout Guest

  13. #33

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    Marc Heusser <marc.heusserCHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.inv alid>
    wrote:
    > Case in point: Yesterday I had to set up a laptop to work with a beamer.
    > Plugged the beamer into my Mac (closed), opened it and it works. No F5
    > pressing and such. It automatically switched resolution to match the
    > beamer. Question by the assistant: Is that all that's needed?
    You mean a projector? Yeah. The other day one of our IBM laptops, which
    had used the projector a million times before, suddenly refused to
    project. We hooked up my Powerbook, found the right settings on the
    projector, then hooked up the IBM again and found the right settings on
    it. You can not trouble shoot two problems at the same time, so with the
    Mac which is guaranteed to work we eliminated one :-)

    V.

    --
    mail me at lastname at cs utk edu
    Victor Eijkhout Guest

  14. #34

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    snip
    <:
    : SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    : want the facts
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : Angela
    :
    : PS. A notebook is what I am after

    I hate the way most versions of windows crash inexplicably, unpredictably
    and unapologetically. I hate being at the mercy of a monolith such as
    microsoft. So why do we have four Intel machines in the house and not one
    Mac? The application that I use in making my living is written for windows
    and will never be available for the Mac. Most scientific applications that
    we use are written for windows or Linux or DOS. Not for the Mac and probably
    not ever. It is easy for us to swap hard disks between machines, and I am
    led to believe it is not easy with a Mac. I am surrounded by dozens of
    windows users who might help me out of a problem at some stage, and I know
    only one Mac user. So, much as I am impressed by all I hear about Macs, they
    are not for me and probably never will be.
    Having said all that, I imagine that the advice you will get from
    knowledgable and unbiased users is that it doesn't matter much one way or
    the other. Whatever you buy will probably do everything you want and a lot
    that you have not yet dreamed of.


    Tony Turner Guest

  15. #35

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:17:54 +1000, "Tony Turner" <tonytsci.net.au> wrote:
    >snip
    ><:
    >: SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    >: want the facts
    >:
    >: Thanks
    >:
    >: Angela
    >:
    >: PS. A notebook is what I am after
    >
    >I hate the way most versions of windows crash inexplicably, unpredictably
    >and unapologetically.
    You have a problems then, My windows 2000 machines do not crash.
    > I hate being at the mercy of a monolith such as microsoft.
    I agree with that one.
    > So why do we have four Intel machines in the house and not one
    >Mac? The application that I use in making my living is written for windows
    >and will never be available for the Mac. Most scientific applications that
    >we use are written for windows or Linux
    Are you aware that MAC osX IS linux
    > or DOS. Not for the Mac and probably
    derek / nul Guest

  16. #36

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    In article <3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com>, [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    > want the facts
    There are no facts that can answer your question. There are merits to
    both platforms, and which you prefer will be a matter of choice. May I
    suggest you rent one of each for a week or two? Give them both a strong
    side-by-side workout and see which suits your tastes the best.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.
    Phil Lefebvre Guest

  17. #37

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    In article <aickfvstg1lrq4dkh7on6cu4v14jql45864ax.com>,
    derek / nul <abusesgrail.org> wrote:
    > Are you aware that MAC osX IS linux
    Har. I really want to know where you read that, and why you believe
    everything you read.
    Steven Fisher Guest

  18. #38

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:55:46 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net> wrote:
    >In article <aickfvstg1lrq4dkh7on6cu4v14jql45864ax.com>,
    > derek / nul <abusesgrail.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Are you aware that MAC osX IS linux
    >
    >Har. I really want to know where you read that, and why you believe
    >everything you read.
    as pointed out by another its a port of freebsd
    derek / nul Guest

  19. #39

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    derek / nul wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:55:46 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>In article <aickfvstg1lrq4dkh7on6cu4v14jql45864ax.com>,
    >>derek / nul <abusesgrail.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Are you aware that MAC osX IS linux
    >>
    >>Har. I really want to know where you read that, and why you believe
    >>everything you read.
    >
    >
    > as pointed out by another its a port of freebsd
    And that makes it Linux how? Or is it that you don't know what Linux is?

    Steven Fisher Guest

  20. #40

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    On 6/25/03 5:17 PM, in article [email]1056579279.148049syringe.ispdr.net.au[/email], "Tony
    Turner" <tonytsci.net.au> wrote:
    > I hate the way most versions of windows crash inexplicably, unpredictably
    > and unapologetically. I hate being at the mercy of a monolith such as
    > microsoft. So why do we have four Intel machines in the house and not one
    > Mac?
    To address some of your points for informational purposes:
    > The application that I use in making my living is written for windows
    > and will never be available for the Mac. Most scientific applications that
    > we use are written for windows or Linux or DOS. Not for the Mac and probably
    > not ever.
    So if you really want the ease of use of a Mac, pick up Virtual PC and have
    a dual OS system. Virtual PC - though completely inadequate for computer
    gaming - is the ideal solution to run the occasional darkside office app on
    your Mac.
    > It is easy for us to swap hard disks between machines, and I am
    > led to believe it is not easy with a Mac.
    Why wouldn't it be? Several generations of Macs have used standard IDE hard
    drives now, just like Intel/AMD machines.
    > I am surrounded by dozens of
    > windows users who might help me out of a problem at some stage, and I know
    > only one Mac user.
    Yes. However, 1. You'll have fewer problems with your Mac and 2. Should you
    have a problem you'll have access to a very well informed and active
    community of online Mac users that will not only try and help you - but will
    be more likely to come up with a good solution to your problem than a guy
    two doors down.

    Applemac_G4 Guest

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. opinions please
    By GilesW in forum Macromedia Flash Sitedesign
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 23rd, 07:46 AM
  2. Opinions needed: Calibration "on the fly"
    By guntcher@yahoo.com in forum Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 18th, 03:24 AM
  3. Your opinions
    By Fabrizio Fiorenzano in forum Photography
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 12th, 08:34 PM
  4. [PHP] just looking for some opinions...
    By Dan Joseph in forum PHP Development
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 24th, 06:19 PM
  5. Design opinions needed!
    By Jamesy in forum Macromedia Dreamweaver
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 23rd, 02:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139