Professional Web Applications Themes

Unbiased opinions needed - Mac Portable

I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you get my drift). So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't ...

  1. #1

    Default Unbiased opinions needed

    I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are
    better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you
    get my drift).

    So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.

    SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    want the facts

    Thanks

    Angela

    PS. A notebook is what I am after

    ryako@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

    In article <3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com>, [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    >Basically I want to
    >turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.

    in that case, REALLY get a mac !
    woodsie Guest

  3. #3

    Basically I want to turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off
    without fiddling around.

    Nuff said. Definitely Mac.

    draino Guest

  4. #4

    [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email]:
    > ...wouldn't know how to change
    > configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    > turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    *****

    Macintosh PowerBook or iBook, hands down! Ease of use is the main area
    in which all other computer operating systems lag behind the Mac.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig *dawt* com
    Davoud Guest

  5. #5

    Basically I will be using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel
    stuff), Internet
    > and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2).
    > PS. A notebook is what I am after
    An Intel or AMD based system is better.
    Cheaper + it does what you want.

    I am a MAC and x86 user too btw ;)

    =bob=

    ---

    [BnH] Guest

  6. #6

    <ryakohotmail.com> wrote in message news:3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com...
    > I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    > know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    > some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are
    > better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you
    > get my drift).

    I have both and all I can say is that a name brand PC running Office is much
    better integrated than Mac OS X will ever be.

    The fact that Microsoft has PC's covered from end to end says a lot about
    the ease of use.

    MacOS X is a pig to setup with some type of ADSL and other tid-bits. And you
    can forget about easy tricks doing some future advanced stuff.

    PC's can be upgraded cheaply, taught easily and cheaply and there are many
    people on here that can help.

    You will grow out of the "im a novice" really quick and before long you will
    wonder why you would need a Mac since it can only be serviced by ONE
    corporation compared to the hundreds of people who can service a PC.

    Dont assume you will always be ignorant. That lasts about 2 weeks.

    Miro Guest

  7. #7

    In article <3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com>, [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > I have done some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users
    > say Macs are better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about
    > Macs etc. (you get my drift).
    This is likely to happen if you rely on what *users* will tell you. This
    is because a user is used to what he uses (of course!). There will be a
    natural reaction against that which is strange and unfamiliar. Even
    those who use both PCs and Macs are likely to be more used to one than
    the other.

    The alternative is to try to find the opinions of those who know more
    about their relative merits than merely by being users, and moreover who
    know from personal experience, rather than repeating what they have
    heard, or read. Such people unfortunately are thin on the ground.

    I have been working with computers since 1960, and with microprocessors
    and personal computers since the early 70s. I have used both PCs and
    Macs for many years, and seen them both grow up. I know them intimately
    from the inside as well as the outside. I have seen both their hardware
    and their software laid bare. I have programmed complete applications
    for both PC and Mac.

    So, what would I advise? Is it perhaps a case of six of one and half a
    dozen of the other? It most certainly is not.

    If I were spending my own money and had any choice at all, it would be a
    Macintosh every time.

    --
    Alec McKenzie
    [email]mckenziedespammed.com[/email]

  8. #8

    <ryakohotmail.com> wrote in
    > SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    > want the facts
    > PS. A notebook is what I am after
    Well, I'm after the same thing, with the same questions as you have..

    The problem is that for 1500 Euros I can buy a 12" iBook which cover my
    needs (I live in the Netherlands), but this is one of the cheaper models of
    the laptop Mac series. For the same amount of money I can buy a much better
    PC laptop, with infrared, 512 Megs of RAM, yes even with S-TFT screen
    (better resolution). Especially with the 'newer' Pentium/AMD mobile
    processors other advantages of apple over PC (longer batterylife, more quit,
    weight) are minimal. What I really wanted was a powerbook 14", but this
    model starts at about 2200 Euro's, which is way over my budget.

    I would probably have gone for an iBook, till I found out about the
    garuantee Apple is providing: 1 year, and if you want more: you'll have to
    pay for it. Also stories about bad service in this respect didn't help me
    convince that Apple really is giving that bit of extra service you would (I
    would) expect.

    Therefore, I've decided to buy an Asus laptop. They provide standard 2 yrs
    Pickup and Return garuantee, good quality, good screen, and very complete.
    Another reason why I chose this, is because I have some PC-peripherals, for
    which I would have to buy adaptors: also more money. And if I want to do
    some wireless interetting, I don't have to spend hundreds of Euro's for a
    broadcaster (Airport), extra PC stuff is also lots and lots cheaper. The
    problem with spyware, virusses, etc can be easily solved with good software.

    But hey, these were my considerations, perhaps you have others. Let us know
    what you've decided...

    greetings from Holland,
    Sting

    Sting Guest

  9. #9

    In article <3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com>, [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] writes:
    >I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    >know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    >some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are
    >better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you
    >get my drift).
    >
    >So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    >using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    >and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    >HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    >configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    >turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    >
    >SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    >want the facts
    I am running a date processing department. We support PCs and Macs (around 300
    Macs and 50 PCs). In addition we store the amount of time we spend on a
    problem. Now if I do some statistics on this database I find
    - we spend only about 25% of the time with an average Mac compared to that
    of an average PC
    Now one might speculate about the reasons. Anyway, I would like to point out
    that this reflects mainly OS9 and below and only very few OS-X at the moment.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    -- --------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -452 |
    | Immunbiologie |
    | Postfach 1169 Internet: [email]gartmannimmunbio.mpg.de[/email] |
    | D-79011 Freiburg, Germany |
    +------------- [url]http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html[/url] -------------+
    Christoph Gartmann Guest

  10. #10

    In article <newsgroups-14E05F.02305025062003netnews.attbi.com>,
    Larry Fransson <newsgroupslarryandjenny.net> wrote:
    > In article <3ef96165$0$26633$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au> ,
    > " Miro" <miro01hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > MacOS X is a pig to setup with some type of ADSL and other tid-bits. And you
    > > can forget about easy tricks doing some future advanced stuff.
    >
    > Say what? Setting up OS X with my broadband connections has always been
    > an absolute no-brainer. Which easy tricks and future advanced stuff are
    > we talking about? That's a little vague, to say the least.
    Larry, since you've not come upon Miro, I suggest you do a little
    googling. He's the king of unqualified assertions, and the instigator of
    numerous flamewars in aus.photo. I haven't personally jousted with him,
    since life's too short, but he's somewhat notorious in Australian news
    groups.

    In this subject, I can't pretend to be unbiased, since I've been a Mac
    user since 1984, and I work in the film industry, which is very, very
    strongly pro-Mac. But I will say that Miro's comment is rubbish: I
    regularly set up Macs for DSL, Cable, ISDN, you name it, and they're
    actually *easier* to set up than most PCs. They're largely virus-proof,
    and - because of the vertically integrated nature of the hardware and OS
    - it's generally easier to install software and hardware.

    Also, getting a Mac running OSX to connect to a network of PCs is a
    breeze. I wish I could say the same of Windows machines, although to be
    fair XP is much better than earlier OSs.

    The minuses for Macs are playing games, and to some extent using
    financial applications. If those are big attractions for a user, I
    advise against Macs. If you're at all creative, I strongly advise *for*
    Macs.

    In the case of the original poster, I don't know that it makes a lot of
    difference one way or the other. If the major use is Word and Excel, I
    suspect they'll get a better deal on a Windows machine. But if they want
    to consider what they might want to do once they've got the machine, I
    can point to a suite of consumer-grade applications: iPhoto, iTunes,
    iMovie, that will make life so much easier than most of the stuff
    available for Windows.

    J.
    julie simpson Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:54:07 +1000, [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    >I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    >know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    >some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are
    >better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you
    >get my drift).
    >
    >So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    >using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    >and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    >HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    >configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    >turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    >
    >SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    >want the facts
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Angela
    >
    >PS. A notebook is what I am after
    If you go PC route and "want to turn it on, do what I have to do then
    turn it off without fiddling around.", you are best off going to a
    store like Harvey Norman or Clive Peeters (or similar store) pay that
    extra (which will make it pretty equal to a Mac cost) and make sure
    they set it up for you including all software you require so you can
    switch it on and go.

    Once they are set up, they are pretty equal overall (IMHO).

    You also will not need the most expensive shiniest computer either
    (but make sure you get at least "512MB RAM").
    Barry Guest

  12. #12

    "Larry Fransson" <newsgroupslarryandjenny.net> wrote in message
    > In article <3ef96165$0$26633$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au> ,
    > " Miro" <miro01hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > MacOS X is a pig to setup with some type of ADSL and other tid-bits. And
    you
    > > can forget about easy tricks doing some future advanced stuff.
    >
    > Say what? Setting up OS X with my broadband connections has always been
    > an absolute no-brainer. Which easy tricks and future advanced stuff are
    > we talking about? That's a little vague, to say the least.

    **** It's not vague. It's bloody boring and it can be a disaster. Ok then
    ...... how do you connect an EPSON Inkjet to the network where all the PC's
    can print and MacOSX needs to be able to do the same thing. PC = 2 min,
    MacOS X ...... no official dealer or vendor support ...... work it out
    yourself. ( I did).

    > > PC's can be upgraded cheaply, taught easily and cheaply and there are
    many
    > > people on here that can help.
    >
    > If PCs were always that simple to use, one would think I wouldn't end up
    > swearing at my wife's PC every time I try to do something a little out
    > of the ordinary with it.

    ***** You have a CRAP PC ..... that was your choice, CHOICE. Only ONE
    factory makes MAC.

    **** Why dont you try and get a power supply.
    > On top of that, "service" doesn't mean sending it back to the factory.
    > There are Apple certified repair centers in places other than Cupertino.
    ***** And they are all expensive, all of them 3-4 days wait and all of them
    indifferent (Sydney at least).

    Miro Guest

  13. #13

    "julie simpson" <jsauroramedia.net> wrote in message
    > In article <newsgroups-14E05F.02305025062003netnews.attbi.com>,
    > Larry Fransson <newsgroupslarryandjenny.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <3ef96165$0$26633$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au> ,
    > > " Miro" <miro01hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > MacOS X is a pig to setup with some type of ADSL and other tid-bits.
    And you
    > > > can forget about easy tricks doing some future advanced stuff.
    > >
    > > Say what? Setting up OS X with my broadband connections has always been
    > > an absolute no-brainer. Which easy tricks and future advanced stuff are
    > > we talking about? That's a little vague, to say the least.
    >
    > Larry, since you've not come upon Miro, I suggest you do a little
    > googling. He's the king of unqualified assertions, and the instigator of
    > numerous flamewars in aus.photo. I haven't personally jousted with him,
    > since life's too short, but he's somewhat notorious in Australian news
    > groups.

    Rubbish Julie, you are talking out of your proverbial.

    Try setting up BPA Login if you have a router config with BPA and the router
    cant do its own logon.

    If you want to throw then try not to hit yourself with it. Its anchors
    like you that deserve no respect.

    Miro Guest

  14. #14

    In article <3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com>, [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    > know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    > some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are
    > better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you
    > get my drift).
    >
    > So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    > using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    > and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    > HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    > configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    > turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    Of course you'll get my biased opinion, so let me start by telling you
    where my bias comes from:
    30 years in IT, used anything from an IBM360, PDP-11, first Pascal
    compilers, microprocessors, Suns (Unix-machines), LISP-machines, VAX,
    PC's from MS-DOS on an 8086 onwards, Mac's from the original Mac
    onwards, programmed in more languages than I care for today, ...
    and I started out as an Electronics engineer doing digital VLSI IC
    design (that's how today's CPU's got made), etc

    Now: Both a Windows laptop and a Mac OSX laptop will work.
    It's just much easier on a Mac most of the time. And you'll enjoy it
    most of the time. Much less of that strange interaction of different
    programs because they change settings in the registry - just because
    there is none. And if you want, you'll find most settings needed (like
    different accounts) can be done in a nice manner with a clean,
    understandeable user interface.
    I have and still do travel with both machines.

    You know the pun:
    PC-user: I can connect a CD-burner, a scanner, the internet, MIDI etc
    all to my PC
    Mac-user: So can I, and I'll even be able to use it all at the same time.
    There is some truth in that.

    If I have to pay for it, it will be a Mac every time.

    Case in point: Yesterday I had to set up a laptop to work with a beamer.
    Plugged the beamer into my Mac (closed), opened it and it works. No F5
    pressing and such. It automatically switched resolution to match the
    beamer. Question by the assistant: Is that all that's needed?

    My recommendation: Get an iBook or Powerbook with the biggest screen you
    can afford, buy RAM at another place instead of Apple, get a second
    battery if you're on the road and most likely you'll be happy.
    If it's got to be real cheap, get a Pismo powerbook (3 years old, some
    500 USD), and it still works with Mac OSX.

    Why?
    For the same reason as me: I want to turn it on, do what I have to do,
    then turn it off without fiddling around.
    Even though I know computers to considerable detail, when I use it as a
    tool, that's just what I want to do: use it as a tool.

    > SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    > want the facts
    If it is of some value to you, Gartner group (IT consulting) published a
    report essentially proving life cycle costs for Mac to be much lower
    because of much lower maintenance (help desk etc) - ie users tend to get
    along with less help.

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  15. #15

    And how do you conference with someone doing MSN telephone calls ?

    Clearly OSX does not support such facilities with the other 90% of the IT
    world.

    Miro Guest

  16. #16

    In article <3ef96b13$0$13798$4d4ebb8eread.news.nl.uu.net>, Sting
    <mailask.me.first> wrote:
    > <ryakohotmail.com> wrote in
    > > SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    > > want the facts
    >
    > > PS. A notebook is what I am after
    >
    > Well, I'm after the same thing, with the same questions as you have..
    >
    > The problem is that for 1500 Euros I can buy a 12" iBook which cover my
    > needs (I live in the Netherlands), but this is one of the cheaper models of
    > the laptop Mac series. For the same amount of money I can buy a much better
    > Therefore, I've decided to buy an Asus laptop. ..

    Well sting,

    I have to say I made the other choice, after many years of devoted PC
    only use. I'm not much of a programmer (just a bit of Cobol and Pick
    basic in the early 80's) , but I've been a PC user since the days of
    DOS, fiddling with autoexec.bat and trying to multi-task. For the past
    5 years or so I have administered a Wintel network (SBS 4.5 based ..
    mixed laptop/desktop clients running everything from win 95 to win XP
    as a favour to a small company.

    I built my own desktop PC about 9 months ago and have a sony vaio
    laptop which is now a couple of years old.

    So I was pretty firmly grounded in the Wintel camp, with a little (very
    little) experience of Linux. Basically a power user i would say.

    6 months ago I decided to get an iBook because replacing the dying
    battery on my year-old Vaio was going to cost a ridiculous amount.

    It's been an absolute revelation to me.
    Everything just works.

    The software is by and large a joy to use. Far less fiddling around
    tweaking to get it working, and far more enjoyable to use. Much cleaner
    design. When people see the presentations that Keynote creates I hear
    audible gasps from the audience .. and not in a bad way.

    (But I still get to fiddle at a command prompt if I want.)

    The hardware design detail far outstrips anything I've seen on an intel
    based laptop. Simple things like the design of the tiny power pack,
    with its built-in clip to wind the cable up, or the design of the
    keyboard, which is a pleasure to touch type on, or the 4 hour battery
    life (going down to 2.5 hours if you watch a DVD, but still plenty to
    finish the filim) make the Mac a delight to use compared to a Sony
    Vaio.

    I enjoyed building my own desktop PC, but honestly compared to the
    pleasure of using my Mac iBook (12in) it pales into insignificance.

    I didn't set out to become a Mac evangelist, and I'm a bit shocked
    about how much I've ended up gushing about it. But for me there is
    simply no comparison. (even before I got an iPod!). And for the first
    time in a long time I've got no desire to upgrade/change machines after
    the first flush of the honeymoon period.

    regards

    mollw

    p.s. in case you think I'm a professionaly smug owner, I have to say
    that nothing else I own makes me was lyrical. Cars, hi fi, tv etc. are
    all pretty mediocre!
    michael Guest

  17. #17

    [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    > know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    > some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are
    > better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you
    > get my drift).
    >
    > So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    > using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    > and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    > HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    > configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    > turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    >
    > SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    > want the facts
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Angela
    >
    > PS. A notebook is what I am after

    Definatly a Mac

    CyBorg 0091 Guest

  18. #18

    [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    >So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    >using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    >and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    >HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    >configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    >turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    I recently bought Apple's low-end iBook (12" screen, 700 MHz
    processor) and even with a corporate discount through my former
    employer, paid close to US $1,000 for it.

    That iBook will be going to an Apple service center in a box today for
    service for a display problem that seems to be pretty common, as I've
    learned by reading the posts at apple.com's discussion boards.

    The laptop came with 128 MB of RAM, I added 256 MB and I'm using OS
    9.2.2 exclusively (save for a couple of excursions into OS X.

    The computer has no DVD or built-in CD burner.

    A few weeks earlier, my brother bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop for
    US $800 or so. It runs Windows XP and he reports that it is a
    rock-solid stable OS and has supported, via plug-and-play, every
    device he's thrown at it. That PC laptop has a DVD player and now for
    the same price one can purchase a laptop with a combo DVD player and
    CD-RW burner.

    I should mention that my brother is also a Mac user. His home desktop
    computer is a Quicksilver G4 and his work computer is a Mac Wallstreet
    laptop. But when he bought a computer for his own use, he opted for a
    Wintel machine and he says he definitely made the right choice.

    I've used Macs since 1987 and also spent six years in a Windows NT
    (ugh!) work environment. My work PC now has Windows 2000 on it. I have
    more Mac experience and currently find the Mac OS (9.2.2, anyway)
    easier to use, but I haven't taken the time to refamiliarize myself
    with Windows.

    In your case, I'd look at two overriding options:

    1.) What OS do you have familiarity with now?
    2.) What software do you currently own?

    You say you're going to use, basically, MS Office and Photoshop. If
    you already have Windows versions of these programs, you'll probably
    be better off buying the Windows laptop because, if not, you're going
    to be out more than the price of the computer for the software ($900
    for a low-end iBook, $300 or so for Office and $600 or so for
    Photoshop). The 'Net apps are preinstalled so you won't have to pay
    for anything in that regard.

    If you're starting from scratch, truthfully, I'd go with the PC. I've
    stuck with the Mac because I already have a lot invested in software.
    I've been heartened to see that the new Mac G5s offer OS 9 as a boot
    option, which has caused me to soften my stance that I've bought my
    last Mac, but I'm seriously thinking that my next computer purchase
    will be a PC.

    Others have mentioned spyware and viruses, but if you don't download
    and install a lot of shareware, and if you run a good antivirus
    program, you should be safe in those regards.

    Windows wins on price, compatibility and availability of software;
    Apple has a slight edge on ease of use (Windows has narrowed the gap
    tremendously in that regard in recent years), so again, I say go with
    your own familiarity and what software you already have.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

    I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  19. #19

    Marc Heusser wrote:
> [...]
    > can afford, buy RAM at another place instead of Apple, get a second
    > battery if you're on the road and most likely you'll be happy.
    > If it's got to be real cheap, get a Pismo powerbook (3 years old, some
    > 500 USD), and it still works with Mac OSX.
    >
    > Why?
    > For the same reason as me: I want to turn it on, do what I have to do,
    > then turn it off without fiddling around.
    > Even though I know computers to considerable detail, when I use it as a
    > tool, that's just what I want to do: use it as a tool.
    >
    >>SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    >>want the facts
    >

    > If it is of some value to you, Gartner group (IT consulting) published a
    > report essentially proving life cycle costs for Mac to be much lower
    > because of much lower maintenance (help desk etc) - ie users tend to get

    You had me going in the first sentence,I was certain You were selling
    *windowXP with ViperThreading *Pentium's and *MCSE certifications at
    half price.

    CyBorg 0091 Guest

  20. #20

    In article <3EF938FF.1010506hotmail.com>, [email]ryakohotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    >I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war here or anything but I need to
    >know the good and bad points about Mac and PC (Intel etc). I have done
    >some searching and the general consensus is that Mac users say Macs are
    >better and PCs are bad and vice versa for PC users about Macs etc. (you
    >get my drift).
    >
    >So I am finding it hard to decide between the two. Basically I will be
    >using it for Word Processing, basic statistics (Excel stuff), Internet
    >and Photoshop (not much PS though, mainly the other 2). I don't know a
    >HUGE amount about computers and wouldn't know how to change
    >configuration settings if my life depended on it. Basically I want to
    >turn it on, do what I have to do then turn it off without fiddling around.
    >
    >SO, I hope it doesn't cause too much cross-platform conflict, I just
    >want the facts
    I love it! "Unbiased opinions"? Already about 20 zealots into the
    conflict. (Not really. About 20 contibutions, some multiple.)

    Since you posted to three Mac groups and one general computer group, I
    suspect you've already made up your mind. So go with the
    discriminating 3% (including "Others") and ignore the 97% hoi polloi.

    [Actually, I gave up on Apple back in the days of the TRS-80 Model I
    and the Apple II when we discovered Applesoft BASIC didn't know about
    printers and you had to PEEK and POKE around to get one to work with
    the things. Or some sort of fudging around like that. The details
    are misty now. It was a pain in the butt anyway, as is obvious seeing
    I'm still complaining. :) ]

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email]ppnerkDELETETHIS.INVA[/email]LID