Professional Web Applications Themes

Underlining Text - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am having a very difficult time figuring out how to underline text in InDesign CS. I have looked it up in Help and searched all over the place and stiil don't have an answer. Hays...

  1. #1

    Default Underlining Text

    Hays_Fisher@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Underlining Text

    Select the text and open the flyout menu in the character palette.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Or, alternatively, click on the Character mode button on the Control palette, and select Underline Options.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Hays, I had the same problem - it was said that Cntrl+Shft+U would work too... (have gotten to try (still reading the forum)) But, I have faith that both answers I got are good (Thanks Folks)
    Thomas_Porter@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Is there a simple way to underline text without having to draw a line? I cannot find it anywhere. I know this is probably the simplest question asked here..but I am pulling out my hair!
    Michael_Breitenbeck@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Is there a simple way to underline text without having to draw a line?

    No. Pour yourself a drink, and give your hair follicles a break.

    [Despite the highly touted new text engine, Illustrator 11 (aka CS) continues to fall back on its illustration (as opposed to page layout) program roots and, to this day, does not support faux fonts. Unless you have an actual underlined font, drawing a line is your only choice. Typography purists might tell you to consider alternatives, such as italicizing. See further discussions on this subject by searching this forum.]

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    highly touted new text engine

    Touted was about the only thing "highly" about it. It turned out to be a massive fraud, IMO.

    Typography purists might tell you to consider alternatives, such as italicizing

    Typography purists may not live in the real world where real customers with real money get real[ly] insistent on having real underlines.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I love it when you get real, Stu.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    The "underline issue" is a very old topic in these forums but I totally agree with Stu. Even though we may know that underlining is not the proper thing to do in good typography design, many of our clients demand it...and aren't they ALWAYS right?! :-)

    So we spend (waste) a great deal of time manually placing line rules under text only to then reposition them every time a text edit is made on a comp as text reflows.

    I have since given up making web page comps in Illustrator where underlining is a necessity to show link samples, etc. (I use Fireworks for those types of comps).
    Eric_Schwartz@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thumbs up Underlining Text

    SOLUTION:

    Just select and highlight the text u want to underline using the text tool...
    Click on the menu dropdown button at the topright corner of the screen (next to quick apply, "electric shock" icon :P)..
    Select underline options..
    And tada!
    San Guest

  11. #11

    How to underline above word?
    XaLy Guest

  12. #12

    Default Re: Underlining Text without comment

    Hello, anyone know how to underline with acrobat pro 8 WITHOUT COMMENT. Itīs very troublesome to underline while the comment window is constantly opening covering that text.
    Unregistered Guest

  13. #13

    Hello, anyone know how to underline with acrobat pro 8 WITHOUT COMMENT. Itīs very troublesome to underline while the comment window is constantly opening covering that text.
    Meandme Guest