Professional Web Applications Themes

Undo chmod u+s `which kppp` - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am using RedHat Linux 9 and entered the following commands in order to get non-root dialup: chmod u+s `which kppp` chmod u+s `which pppd` Now I get no response when I choose the Kppp item from the KDE menu in RedHat and cannot start kppp except as root. This is the opposite of what I was trying to achieve. When I type the command for kppp from a terminal as a non root user I also get no response. Before I entered the above commands the same action would ask me for my root password and then proceed to ...

  1. #1

    Default Undo chmod u+s `which kppp`

    I am using RedHat Linux 9 and entered the following commands in order
    to get non-root dialup:

    chmod u+s `which kppp`
    chmod u+s `which pppd`

    Now I get no response when I choose the Kppp item from the KDE menu in
    RedHat and cannot start kppp except as root. This is the opposite of
    what I was trying to achieve. When I type the command for kppp from a
    terminal as a non root user I also get no response. Before I entered
    the above commands the same action would ask me for my root password
    and then proceed to start up kppp

    How do I undo the above commands and restore the menu response in KDE?

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Regards,
    Bill Dika
    Bill Dika Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Undo chmod u+s `which kppp`

    Hello

    Bill Dika (<bdikaca>) wrote:
    > I am using RedHat Linux 9 and entered the following commands in order
    > to get non-root dialup:
    >
    > chmod u+s `which kppp`
    > chmod u+s `which pppd`
    > [...]
    > How do I undo the above commands and restore the menu response in KDE?
    I don't know if this will help you with your dialup problems, but to
    remove the suid bit, you can simply use

    chmod u-s 'which kppp'

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

  3. #3

    Bill Dika <bdikaca> wrote:
    > I am using RedHat Linux 9 and entered the following commands in order
    > to get non-root dialup:
    > chmod u+s `which kppp`
    > chmod u+s `which pppd`
    Nice idea, wrong execution.
    > Now I get no response when I choose the Kppp item from the KDE menu in
    > RedHat and cannot start kppp except as root. This is the opposite of
    > what I was trying to achieve. When I type the command for kppp from a
    > terminal as a non root user I also get no response. Before I entered
    > the above commands the same action would ask me for my root password
    > and then proceed to start up kppp
    > How do I undo the above commands and restore the menu response in KDE?
    All your questions are loaded, presumably because of wrong assumptions.
    "undoing" is just a question of replacing a + with a - in your command,
    unless you know something I don't about the original perms. What were
    they? Just reestablish them.

    The real problem here is that you are applying your chmod to the wrong
    thing. The kppp in your path is not the kppp that you want to run -
    it's only a shell that asks for the root password and starts the real
    kppp. It's the real kppp that you want to make suid and executable by
    you, and it's the real kppp that you want to run. Ditto pppd, if
    you care.
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    Stop messing up.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  4. #4

    On 28 Aug 2003 05:56:12 -0700, Bill Dika
    <bdikaca> wrote:
    > I am using RedHat Linux 9 and entered the following commands in order
    > to get non-root dialup:
    >
    > chmod u+s `which kppp`
    > chmod u+s `which pppd`
    >
    > Now I get no response when I choose the Kppp item from the KDE menu in
    > RedHat and cannot start kppp except as root. This is the opposite of
    > what I was trying to achieve. When I type the command for kppp from a
    > terminal as a non root user I also get no response. Before I entered
    > the above commands the same action would ask me for my root password
    > and then proceed to start up kppp
    >
    > How do I undo the above commands and restore the menu response in KDE?

    chmod u-s `which kppp`
    I don't have kppp, but pppd on my Debian system is u+s.

    --
    Commander Spiral Pyjama Pseudo-Rhinocerous Feline Thingamajig Bill Mar
    (the First)

  5. #5

    Many thanks.

    Regards,