Professional Web Applications Themes

Unexpected cropping when opening PDF - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm missing portions of some PDF files when loading them into Photoshop Elements 2.0 (Windows). For example, I try to load an 11 x 8.5 doent (landscape) that identifies itself as being created with "Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5 (Windows)". When Elements loads the doent, it defaults the image size as 6.989 x 8.5 inches -- which is approximately the right dimensions, but in portrait mode. Consequently, the image is truncated on the left and right edges. This is a public doent ([url]http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/bike-foot/docs/bikevilas.pdf[/url]). Acrobat Reader 6.0 reads this file properly. Does anyone know a way to "trick" Elements into reading the entire ...

  1. #1

    Default Unexpected cropping when opening PDF

    I'm missing portions of some PDF files when loading them into Photoshop Elements 2.0 (Windows).

    For example, I try to load an 11 x 8.5 doent (landscape) that identifies itself as being created with "Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5 (Windows)". When Elements loads the doent, it defaults the image size as 6.989 x 8.5 inches -- which is approximately the right dimensions, but in portrait mode. Consequently, the image is truncated on the left and right edges.

    This is a public doent ([url]http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/bike-foot/docs/bikevilas.pdf[/url]). Acrobat Reader 6.0 reads this file properly.

    Does anyone know a way to "trick" Elements into reading the entire PDF? Or to modify the PDF to overcome this limitation? Is Photoshop Elements getting confused interpreting the "rotation" indicator in the PDF? Is this a PDF plug-in problem? Or is this simply "pit error"?
    paulm52 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unexpected cropping when opening PDF

    From the looks of it PSE2 isn't interpreting the orientation correctly. However, there may be a work-around.

    In Acrobat Reader you can use the Graphics Selection Tool, select the whole page and then paste it into a new PSE2 image ( File -> New from Clipboard ). This gave me approximately 1260x1000 pixel image.

    Don't know if it will have the resolution you need, but it didn't look to horrible.

    HTH

    Kyle

    P.S.: This was on a Mac using Acrobat 6 and PSE2
    Kyle White Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Kyle for the tip about Acrobat Reader 6's Graphic Selection Tool. I had been using Windows' "screen capture", pasting the content into PSE2, and editing out the edges.

    But this approach only copies the image at screen resolution. You can see that these maps are at a fairly high resolution. I'll be spending some time pasting and editing unless someone else has another idea.

    Anyone know how or what to edit in the PDF file? Maybe to undo the orientation?
    paulm52 Guest

  4. #4

    Paulm52,

    In Windows...are you right clicking the file and using 'save as' or 'save target as'...in other words saving it to your computer and then opening it up with Acrobat Reader and clicking on print?

    Also, the Reader is up to Version 6 now, do you have a fairly current version?
    Nancy S Guest

  5. #5

    paulm52,

    whoops, I see you do have Version 6
    Nancy S Guest

  6. #6

    Well, TexShop/LaTex didn't like it either. BUT, I can report success for Mac users.

    I opened it in Preview, did an "Edit -> Copy" and then in PSE2 did an "Open from Clipboard" and got an 8.5 x 11 inch 300 dpi image. Note that while in Preview, I did not select anything, just used the menu commands.

    So, paulm52, should you so desire, I have a 3.1MByte TIFF image of the map, which did compress a little more with zip, so it's down to 2.4MBytes, that I can e-mail to you. Assuming, of course, that you have enough room in the Inbox at your ISP. You can get my e-mail address by clicking on my name at the top of this message.

    Hope folks find this useful.

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks, Kyle, for the tip about "graphics copy" in Acrobat Reader. I was able to use that and cut&paste the missing parts of the image.

    Obviously, I would have preferred for PSE2 to load the PDF files directly and not mess around. But I didn't know enough of the PDF format to try to "whack" a few bytes around and correct the problem.
    paulm52 Guest