Professional Web Applications Themes

"unexpected end-of-file was encountered" error window. Cause? Is it repairable? - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

A document that I had been working on in Photoshop 6 in an OS 9.1 environment won't open in my new OS 9.1 classic environment. I haven't been able to update to 9.2.2 because the 9.2.1 download files on the Apple website seem to be corrupted. I have no idea continued...

  1. #1

    Default "unexpected end-of-file was encountered" error window. Cause? Is it repairable?

    A document that I had been working on in Photoshop 6 in an OS 9.1 environment won't open in my new OS 9.1 classic environment.
    I haven't been able to update to 9.2.2 because the 9.2.1 download files on the Apple website seem to be corrupted. I have no idea if that has anything to do with anything, but it opened fine in the native OS 9.1 environment.

    Any ideas out there?

    Thanks.
    Tom
    Tom_Garbellotto@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Run DiskWarrior because the trouble may be on your HD as I doubt if the file on Apple's server is actually corrupt -- although your download might be.

    If that doesn't fix the .psd file, I fear that it is damaged beyond recall. Do you still have the previous version?
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you are going to run Classic under OS X, you really, really should be using Mac OS 9.2.2.

    This may or may not have been the cause for the damage your file suffered, but an "unexpected end-of-file was encountered" error message usually means a corrupted file.

    Try opening it in Image Ready or in Graphic Converter, but your chances of recovering the file are not very good. Hope you had a backup.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It turns out it was damaged during the copying process. I recopied it and it opens fine now.
    Thank you for your replies! I really appreciate it!
    Tom_Garbellotto@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You must be relieved. Still, update to 9.2.2 as soon as you can.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I cant tell you how many times I've downloaded the 9.2.1 update and got corrupted.

    It's been a nuisance for about a year now.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I haven't attempted downloading 9.2.1 recently. But I never had a problem downloading 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 in the past (done that for a bunch of older iMacs over the past couple of years). I doubt that this would remain a corrupted download on the Apple site for long. It might be a problem with your connectivity, particularly if you are using a dialup or perhaps AOL.

    Try the download to another computer (via T3, T1, DSL or cable), drag-copy the compressed file to a CD-R; drag-copy that to your other computer, and install.

    Neil
    Neil_Keller@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Neil. The problem has already been resolved. A friend gave me a copy of 9.2.2.

  9. #9

    Glad to hear that you're up and running. But (just because you should know for the future), although there is probably no serious consequence here as this is a free download, realize that your friend giving you software this way is, um, probably not permitted by Apple's software license.

  10. #10

    The Apple servers have been an absolute mess for the last few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if downloads are in fact being corrupted.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    That was a suggestion by Apple support.
    Tom_Garbellotto@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Then it's been officially "blessed".

  13. #13

    Tom, could you elaborate on this? Are you suggesting there is a way to save an "end-of-file error" corrupted image in some way? (I can go to my backup tapes, but if there's a desktop solution I'd rather do that.) -- Mark
    Mark_A._Conachan@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Mark,

    Tom's posts in this thread are pretty old, so he may not reply to your inquiry soon. His problem was solved by opening a backup copy, not the one that was returning the error.

    An "End of File" error means a corrupted file in 99.999999% of the cases. A very few files like that can open in Graphic Converter, as per post # 2 in this thread. Try that first, then go to your backup tapes. :)
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I have had a similar problem where I saved a Photoshop Image after editing it in Painshop Pro. When I tried to open it in Photoshop I got an end-of-file error. I was able to open the image with Graphic Converter and saved it as a tiff, but it saved as a flat image. Is there any way to save the file with the layer information?
    Tracy_Meiners@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Tracy,

    You could try opening it in ImageReady, but generally speaking, you were already very lucky to save such a damage file in any form.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Just sometimes you can rescue apparently-damaged files by opening them in Illustrator.

    You will get a dialog which lets you choose:
    "Convert Photoshop layers to objects ……etc.. "

    and the layers should be retained.

    If that doesn't work, you can try Placing the .psd file in a new Illustrator document but, in this case, you won't retain the layers.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest