Professional Web Applications Themes

Unexpected Error Occurred in Network Connections - Windows Networking

When I right-click for 'Properties' on the local area connection instance within network connections I receive the message "An unexpected error occurred." and the properties page does not display. The network appears to work ok though. I tried to uninstall the hardware driver, but the connection instance created after re-install does the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Unexpected Error Occurred in Network Connections

    When I right-click for 'Properties' on the
    local area connection
    instance within network connections I receive
    the message "An unexpected error occurred."
    and the properties page does not display. The
    network appears to work ok though. I tried to
    uninstall the hardware driver, but the connection
    instance created after re-install does the same
    thing. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Aaron LaBarge Guest

  2. #2

    Click Start | Run | type "SFC /Scannow". Insert the XP Cd in the drive. This
    may be a problem with ras dlls.

    --
    _______________________________________
    Ramesh Srinivasan

    "Aaron LaBarge" <aaronomniware.org> wrote in message
    When I right-click for 'Properties' on the
    local area connection
    instance within network connections I receive
    the message "An unexpected error occurred."
    and the properties page does not display. The
    network appears to work ok though. I tried to
    uninstall the hardware driver, but the connection
    instance created after re-install does the same
    thing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    Ramesh \(XP Power User\) Guest

  3. #3

    Check if there are restrictions in place:
    [url]http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1047/[/url]

    Also, does it happen to all users?

    --
    _______________________________________
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MSWindows OS- Poweruser
    eMail: [email]SRamesh2khotmail.com[/email]
    Aim: SRamesh2k
    INDIA

    "Aaron LaBarge" <aaronomniware.org> wrote in message
    Thanks for the reply Ramesh, it didn't
    work though. I also tried reinstalling
    Service Pack 1a.

    -Aaron

    Ramesh \(XP Power User\) Guest

  4. #4

    Also, check this URL:
    [url]http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6100/rh6106.htm[/url]

    --
    _______________________________________

  5. #5

    Hi Aaron,

    Thank you for posting!

    According to your post, I understand that you get the error "An unexpected
    error occurred" when you access the properties of the network connections
    in Windows XP.

    Please boot into Safe Mode and then go to Device Manager to remove all the
    devices under Network Adapters. After that, boot into Normal Mode to
    reinstall the network adapter to test it.

    If the problem still occurs, perform an in-place upgrade to replace all the
    system files:
    315341:How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315341[/url]

    Hope this helps!

    Have a great day!

    Sincerely,

    Damon Xu
    MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
    Microsoft Partner Online Support

    Get Secure! - [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]

    When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
    --------------------
    | From: "Aaron LaBarge" <aaronomniware.org>
    | Sender: "Aaron LaBarge" <aaronomniware.org>
    | Subject: Re: Unexpected Error Occurred in Network Connections
    | Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:26:34 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
    |
    | Ramesh,
    |
    | I tried both suggestions, everything
    | was as it should be, and still no luck.
    | There are no policy restrictions on this machine
    | for Network Connections, both telephony and rasman
    | services were running, the only extra copy of
    | rasapi32.dll was in the dllcache, and I think
    | that's ok. Anyway...thanks again for your suggestions,
    | even though it didn't work, I learned something.
    |
    | -A

    Damon Xu[MSFT] Guest

  6. #6

    Arg, why does my reply to this post not show up. I'll try again. This
    problem is totally fixable.

    Open a command line and cd to your \windows\system32 directory

    Type "regsvr32 netshell.dll", and click OK in the dialog that comes up
    Type "regsvr32 ole32.dll", and click OK in the dialog that comes up
    reboot

    --

    Ken Wickes [MSFT]

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  7. #7

    This fixed the problem, thanks alot Ken!

    --Aaron

    Aaron LaBarge Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Aaron,

    Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear that things are working correctly
    for you now. If you find that your issue has not been fully resolved,
    please let me know by adding a post to the thread.

    We look forward to helping you in the future.

    Sincerely,

    Damon Xu
    MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
    Microsoft Partner Support

    Get Secure! - [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]

    When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
    --------------------
    | From: "Aaron LaBarge" <aaronomniware.org>
    | Sender: "Aaron LaBarge" <aaronomniware.org>
    | Subject: Re: Unexpected Error Occurred in Network Connections
    | Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:38:05 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
    |
    | This fixed the problem, thanks alot Ken!
    |
    | --Aaron

    | >> |
    | suggestions,
    | >> |