Professional Web Applications Themes

Unexplained "Traffic" in OS X-- What To do? - Mac Networking

At first i thought it was my imagination but many times while reading my NGs (in between calls to my server), i notice a lot of modem signaling when there should be no traffic. And i don't just mean intermittent short signals; i am seeing longer periods of intense activity. I never noticed this in 9.2.2 so i am wondering if OS X-specific network things are going on or if someone is trying to access my computer. If so how can that be and what can i do about it? I have always been a real stickler for not leaving ...

  1. #1

    Default Unexplained "Traffic" in OS X-- What To do?

    At first i thought it was my imagination but many times while reading my
    NGs (in between calls to my server), i notice a lot of modem signaling
    when there should be no traffic. And i don't just mean intermittent
    short signals; i am seeing longer periods of intense activity. I never
    noticed this in 9.2.2 so i am wondering if OS X-specific network things
    are going on or if someone is trying to access my computer. If so how
    can that be and what can i do about it?

    I have always been a real stickler for not leaving things open. I don't
    even let my browser open in online mode. I configured Software Update
    for "manual" updates. I have also been in the habit of turning off my
    system overnight, though i have heard some people say i should not do
    that in OS X. I have other internet applications turned off and i still
    see this. Newswatcher is not checking for updates either--- or should
    not be since i have that turned off as well. Am i just being paranoid?

    Madeleine
    Madwen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unexplained "Traffic" in OS X-- What To do?

    Madwen <net> wrote:

    Good lord, it could be anything. Only way to find out for sure is to run a
    packet sniffer. tcpdump should already be installed but is hard to use. You
    might like Sniffles or MacSniffer better, but ethereal on X11 is the real
    bees knees. They all produce some pretty arcane looking output, but this is
    the only way to be sure that I know of.

    --
    *--------------------------------------------------------*
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |

  3. #3

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <net> wrote:

    Do you have Mail.app running? By default it checks mail every 5 minutes.

    I never shut down any of my Macs. I put my PowerBook to sleep at night.
    My other machines go to sleep if inactive for 3 hours and I usually go
    for several weeks without having to reboot.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  4. #4

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <net> wrote:

    Install Little Snitch: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/

    --
    "Our country puts $1 billion a year up to help feed the hungry. And we're by far
    the most generous nation in the world when it comes to that, and I'm proud to
    -- George W. Bush in Washington, D.C., July 16, 2003
    ZnU Guest

  5. #5

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    ZnU <com> wrote:

    Thanks, I ill look into it. :)
    Madwen Guest

  6. #6

    In article
    <bellsouth.net>,
    Mike Cohen <com> wrote:

    > Do you have Mail.app running? By default it checks mail every 5 minutes.[/ref]

    Thanks. LIke I said, I have other apps turned off and I am still
    noticing that. I have not studied it since installing Panther, however.
    Madwen Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bnaled$b8$newcastle.edu.au>,
    Heath Raftery <com> wrote:

    > Good lord, it could be anything. Only way to find out for sure is to run a
    > packet sniffer. tcpdump should already be installed but is hard to use. You
    > might like Sniffles or MacSniffer better, but ethereal on X11 is the real
    > bees knees. They all produce some pretty arcane looking output, but this is
    > the only way to be sure that I know of.[/ref]

    Thanks, I ll have a look at those if I see this continuing in Panther.
    On the bright side, the duration of my connections has improved
    spectacularly with Panther.
    Madwen Guest

  8. #8

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    > Thanks, I ill look into it. :)[/ref]

    Little Snitch will only show an application trying to phone home. This
    may or may not be the cause of the network traffic. It is less likely
    to be the case if all the apps are not running.

    Another poster suggested tcpdump. You can use that via the Terminal.
    It may provide better information as to where the traffic is originating
    and the type of traffic. You can open the Terminal and use the command:
    "sudo tcpdump -n -i ppp0" The last character is a zero. Enter you
    password at the prompt. To stop collecting data use control-C. It
    might just be a lot of incoming pings and your replies. I would suspect
    that Earthlink if rife with this sort of activity.

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  9. #9

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Matt Broughton <com> wrote:

    > > Thanks, I ill look into it. :)[/ref]
    >
    > Little Snitch will only show an application trying to phone home. This
    > may or may not be the cause of the network traffic. It is less likely
    > to be the case if all the apps are not running.
    >
    > Another poster suggested tcpdump. You can use that via the Terminal.
    > It may provide better information as to where the traffic is originating
    > and the type of traffic. You can open the Terminal and use the command:
    > "sudo tcpdump -n -i ppp0" The last character is a zero. Enter you
    > password at the prompt. To stop collecting data use control-C. It
    > might just be a lot of incoming pings and your replies.....[/ref]

    I think I better learn my way around OS X before I wander out of the
    GUI. But I'll save your advice for later. Thanks. :)

    How I wish I could find a local ISP that was competent without all the
    "we don't do Macs" BS.
    Madwen Guest