Professional Web Applications Themes

Unicode - Web Design

I need your advise upon the issue we are facing in the Webexceller application. We have an application that supports the local languages (korean and Chinese).We are having the issue in data , which is not the UNICODE format. Below are the few information about the existing data. Existing data (database) is not in UNICODE FORMAT and Database wouldn't support the UNICODE data. Existing Locale id - 1033 Collation - Latin1. Front-end handles the local language data when it displays and inserts.After we uprgade to Crystal report 9, data which is existing in current format is not acceptable. We need ...

  1. #1

    Default UNICODE

    I need your advise upon the issue we are facing in the
    Webexceller application. We have an application that
    supports the local languages (korean and Chinese).We are
    having the issue in data , which is not the UNICODE format.
    Below are the few information about the existing data.
    Existing data (database) is not in UNICODE FORMAT and
    Database wouldn't support the UNICODE data.
    Existing Locale id - 1033
    Collation - Latin1.

    Front-end handles the local language data when it displays
    and inserts.After we uprgade to Crystal report 9, data
    which is existing in current format is not acceptable. We
    need to change the data to UNICODE format.
    We can change the database structure to support UNICODE
    format by altering column data type from varchar to
    navarchar and text to ntext. I need to know is there any
    process to convert the existing data to Unicode format
    (with out losing data) which has been recommended by
    experts.

    bharath Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: UNICODE

    Another option would be to define a view that returns just the Chinese data
    and BCP this out using the /CRAW command line for bcp.exe. BCP the data
    back in after changing column data types to nvarchar/nchar using /C932 (or
    /C936 if the data is simplified Chinese). Then define another view that
    returns just the Korean data and repeat the process using /CRAW for export
    and /C949 for import.

    This is a more complicated process than the one that Deepak suggests, but
    if your database is large I would expect it to be considerably faster.

    HTH,
    Bart
    ------------
    Please reply to the newsgroup only - thanks.

    --------------------
    From: "Deepak Gulati_MSFT" <deepakgonline.microsoft.com>
    Subject: Re: UNICODE
    Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:59:30 +0530
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

    Hi Bharat,

    Try this function. It accepts a string and codepage and returns converted
    unicode equivalent nvarchar.

    HTH,
    Deepak

    --------------------------------------
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO

    CREATE FUNCTION dbcsToUnicode(uniString varchar(8000), codePage int)
    RETURNS NVARCHAR(4000)
    AS
    BEGIN

    /*
    949: Korean
    950: Traditional Chinese
    936: Simplified Chinese
    932: Japanese
    1251: Russian
    1255: Herbew
    874: Thai
    */

    DECLARE Uni TABLE
    (col1 nvarchar(4000))

    DECLARE outputString nvarchar(4000)

    IF codePage = 949
    BEGIN
    DECLARE nonUniKorean TABLE
    (col1 varchar(8000) COLLATE Korean_Wansung_CI_AS)

    INSERT nonUniKorean VALUES(CONVERT(varbinary(8000), uniString))

    INSERT INTO Uni
    SELECT col1 FROM nonUniKorean
    END
    ELSE

    IF codePage = 950
    BEGIN
    DECLARE nonUniTChinese TABLE
    (col1 varchar(8000) COLLATE Chinese_Taiwan_Stroke_CI_AS)

    INSERT nonUniTChinese VALUES(CONVERT(varbinary(8000), uniString))

    INSERT INTO Uni
    SELECT col1 FROM nonUniTChinese
    END
    ELSE

    IF codePage = 936
    BEGIN
    DECLARE nonUniSChinese TABLE
    (col1 varchar(8000) COLLATE Chinese_PRC_CI_AS)

    INSERT nonUniSChinese VALUES(CONVERT(varbinary(8000), uniString))

    INSERT INTO Uni
    SELECT col1 FROM nonUniSChinese
    END
    ELSE

    IF codePage = 932
    BEGIN
    DECLARE nonUniJapanese TABLE
    (col1 varchar(8000) COLLATE Japanese_CI_AS)

    INSERT nonUniJapanese VALUES(CONVERT(varbinary(8000), uniString))

    INSERT INTO Uni
    SELECT col1 FROM nonUniJapanese
    END
    ELSE

    IF codePage = 1251
    BEGIN
    DECLARE nonUniRussian TABLE
    (col1 varchar(8000) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_Cp1251_CI_AS)

    INSERT nonUniRussian VALUES(CONVERT(varbinary(8000), uniString))

    INSERT INTO Uni
    SELECT col1 FROM nonUniRussian
    END
    ELSE

    IF codePage = 1255
    BEGIN
    DECLARE nonUniHerbew TABLE
    (col1 varchar(8000) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_Cp1255_CI_AS)

    INSERT nonUniHerbew VALUES(CONVERT(varbinary(8000), uniString))

    INSERT INTO Uni
    SELECT col1 FROM nonUniHerbew
    END
    ELSE

    IF codePage = 874
    BEGIN
    DECLARE nonUniThai TABLE
    (col1 varchar(8000) COLLATE Thai_CI_AS)

    INSERT nonUniThai VALUES(CONVERT(varbinary(8000), uniString))

    INSERT INTO Uni
    SELECT col1 FROM nonUniThai
    END

    SELECT outputString = col1 FROM Uni
    RETURN(outputString)

    END

    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF
    GO
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    ------------

    "bharath" <ramakrishnan.bharadhwajcitigroup.com> wrote in message
    > I need your advise upon the issue we are facing in the
    > Webexceller application. We have an application that
    > supports the local languages (korean and Chinese).We are
    > having the issue in data , which is not the UNICODE format.
    > Below are the few information about the existing data.
    > Existing data (database) is not in UNICODE FORMAT and
    > Database wouldn't support the UNICODE data.
    > Existing Locale id - 1033
    > Collation - Latin1.
    >
    > Front-end handles the local language data when it displays
    > and inserts.After we uprgade to Crystal report 9, data
    > which is existing in current format is not acceptable. We
    > need to change the data to UNICODE format.
    > We can change the database structure to support UNICODE
    > format by altering column data type from varchar to
    > navarchar and text to ntext. I need to know is there any
    > process to convert the existing data to Unicode format
    > (with out losing data) which has been recommended by
    > experts.

    Bart Duncan [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    deepak,
    ur method works.. thanks. But the BCP method does not work
    toally. I lose English character fields.

    confers no rights.

> [...]
    >> having the issue in data , which is not the UNICODE
    format.
    >> Below are the few information about the existing data.
    >> Existing data (database) is not in UNICODE FORMAT and
    >> Database wouldn't support the UNICODE data.
    >> Existing Locale id - 1033
    >> Collation - Latin1.
    >>
    >> Front-end handles the local language data when it
    displays
    >> and inserts.After we uprgade to Crystal report 9, data
    >> which is existing in current format is not acceptable.
    We
    >> need to change the data to UNICODE format.
    >> We can change the database structure to support UNICODE
    >> format by altering column data type from varchar to
    >> navarchar and text to ntext. I need to know is there any
    >> process to convert the existing data to Unicode format
    >> (with out losing data) which has been recommended by

    bharath Guest

  4. #4

    What version of Publisher?
    What are you using for the uploading?

    --
    David Bartosik - Microsoft MVP
    Visit [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]

    "Eric" <godsvriendenbusmail.net> wrote in message
    > When trying to publish my website on the internet, I get a
    > message that no HTML set is available for the la,guage on
    > my computer and that the website is saved as unicode TF-8.
    >
    > The operation fails.

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  5. #5

    Does Freehand support unicode fonts? I read somewhere that it supports unicode. But when I open FH it even doen't list the unicode fonts I have.
    ishwor Guest

  6. #6

    It depends what unicode font you are trying to use, but there is a separate
    version of FreeHand for Chinese, and I think this may cover all CJK languages.
    The English version of FH does _NOT_ support Chinese input.

    If you are trying to insert some Chinese text into FH, you will need to
    mediate with another program - I have had some success using Photoshop.

    slm64 Guest

  7. #7

    My fonts are nepali unicode fonts. Does English FH support this?
    ishwor Guest

  8. #8

    Hi
    I have just migrated from Visual Studio to Dreamweaver 3CS.
    I needed some feedback forms and started using a simple script from web
    provider, but got problems with Scandinavian letters in the feedback mails.
    Then I used "ASP Form2Mail" extension from [url]www.hotdreamweaver.com[/url] and got the
    same problems. (I am reading this feedback mails in Outlook 2007)
    Since I have the same problems with to different programs I thought the
    problem might be in my web providers SMPT server. But he insists it's OK and
    have tested the server with an asp script.
    I am using Unicode UTF-8 in all my Dreamweaver pages, and have no trouble with
    normal pages, only the feedback mail.
    Do anybody out there have any idea what?s wrong?

    :confused;:cool;:disgust;:embarrassment;:evil;:emb arrassment;:disgust;:cool;:con
    fused;:clock;:camera;:brokenheart;:grin;:beer;:con fused;

    oldboys Guest