Professional Web Applications Themes

UNINSTALLING - Windows XP/2000/ME

"STELLA" <STELPADAOL.COM> wrote in message news:19da01c33e49$34b52f90$a601280aphx.gbl... > I INSTALLED WINDOWS xp BUT FOUND THAT IT IS TOO ADVANCED > FOR ME (I AM A BEGINNER) AND WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO MY > ORIGINAL WINDOWS 2000 HOWEVER I CANNOT FIND WINDOWS XP IN > THE REMOVE/CHANGE I ONLY FIND HP, AOL, AND OTHER PROGRAMS > BUT NOT WINDOWS XP IS NOT LISTED, HOW CAN I FIND IT TO > UNINSTALL IT. PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS. STELLA XP cannot be "uninstalled" in that manner. Even if done as an upgrade from 2000, you cannot go back (restore) as in 98/ME ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: UNINSTALLING

    "STELLA" <STELPADAOL.COM> wrote in message
    > I INSTALLED WINDOWS xp BUT FOUND THAT IT IS TOO ADVANCED
    > FOR ME (I AM A BEGINNER) AND WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO MY
    > ORIGINAL WINDOWS 2000 HOWEVER I CANNOT FIND WINDOWS XP IN
    > THE REMOVE/CHANGE I ONLY FIND HP, AOL, AND OTHER PROGRAMS
    > BUT NOT WINDOWS XP IS NOT LISTED, HOW CAN I FIND IT TO
    > UNINSTALL IT. PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS. STELLA
    XP cannot be "uninstalled" in that manner. Even if done as an upgrade from
    2000, you cannot go back (restore) as in 98/ME when upgraded. You will need
    to do a format of the drive (usually C:\) and do a complete reinstall of
    Win2k. Give yourself more time to get used to the features of XP, then you
    will not want to go back. It far and away a better OS then the other
    options. Good luck, Graham.

    For others thinking of upgrading their systems to XP but are unsure, a good
    idea is to purchase Drive Image or similar software and create an image of
    C:\ so if you do not like the new OS, going back is far easier to
    accomplish. Being prepared is better than being sorry.

    Graham Guest

  2. #2

    Windows is no more advanced than Windows 2000. Some names have changed but
    you will be far ahead of the game staying with XP. If you have any questions
    just post them. XP and 2000 both have Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.
    What you should do is avoid using AOL if possible and use a local phone
    company as an Internet service provider. (phone service only) Use OE and IE.
    "STELLA" <STELPADAOL.COM> wrote in message
    > I INSTALLED WINDOWS xp BUT FOUND THAT IT IS TOO ADVANCED
    > FOR ME (I AM A BEGINNER) AND WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO MY
    > ORIGINAL WINDOWS 2000 HOWEVER I CANNOT FIND WINDOWS XP IN
    > THE REMOVE/CHANGE I ONLY FIND HP, AOL, AND OTHER PROGRAMS
    > BUT NOT WINDOWS XP IS NOT LISTED, HOW CAN I FIND IT TO
    > UNINSTALL IT. PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS. STELLA
    Unknown Guest

  3. #3

    STELLA wrote:
    > I INSTALLED WINDOWS xp BUT FOUND THAT IT IS TOO ADVANCED
    > FOR ME (I AM A BEGINNER) AND WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO MY
    > ORIGINAL WINDOWS 2000 HOWEVER I CANNOT FIND WINDOWS XP IN
    > THE REMOVE/CHANGE I ONLY FIND HP, AOL, AND OTHER PROGRAMS
    > BUT NOT WINDOWS XP IS NOT LISTED, HOW CAN I FIND IT TO
    > UNINSTALL IT. PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS. STELLA
    It's too advanced for you - or you're too backward for it? Oh and by the
    way, posting all in caps is considered yelling and extremely rude. It also
    makes your posts very hard to read. If you have to use AOHELL as an ISP I'm
    surprised you're managing to use 2000! There is no fundamental difference
    between XP and 2000. If you really want to go back to 2000 then you must
    reformat the drive and install clean.

    --
    Cassandra
    Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People Too!'

    Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
    of 1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
    uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
    Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post all
    correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

    Amethyst Guest

  4. #4

    Is not Win XP basically Win2000 with a lot more support for hardware. How
    much difference is there really. Asking this question of the general
    newsgroup because I can not see how going back to Win2000 would be easier.

    "STELLA" <STELPADAOL.COM> wrote in message
    > I INSTALLED WINDOWS xp BUT FOUND THAT IT IS TOO ADVANCED
    > FOR ME (I AM A BEGINNER) AND WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO MY
    > ORIGINAL WINDOWS 2000 HOWEVER I CANNOT FIND WINDOWS XP IN
    > THE REMOVE/CHANGE I ONLY FIND HP, AOL, AND OTHER PROGRAMS
    > BUT NOT WINDOWS XP IS NOT LISTED, HOW CAN I FIND IT TO
    > UNINSTALL IT. PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS. STELLA

    Donald Link Guest

  5. #5

    Hi, Stella.

    As the others said, going back to Win2K will be harder than learning how to
    use WinXP - and will put you further back on the upgrade path and learning
    curve.

    To ease your transition, you might want to right-click on Start, then click
    Properties and select the Classic Start menu. This will give you a more
    familiar appearance until you are comfy with all the extra goodies in WinXP.

    Please turn off the ALL CAPS. In a newsgroup (which this is, even though
    you got here via the Web-based interface), this is considered SHOUTING and
    RUDE. And it's hard to read, too.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "STELLA" <STELPADAOL.COM> wrote in message
    > I INSTALLED WINDOWS xp BUT FOUND THAT IT IS TOO ADVANCED
    > FOR ME (I AM A BEGINNER) AND WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO MY
    > ORIGINAL WINDOWS 2000 HOWEVER I CANNOT FIND WINDOWS XP IN
    > THE REMOVE/CHANGE I ONLY FIND HP, AOL, AND OTHER PROGRAMS
    > BUT NOT WINDOWS XP IS NOT LISTED, HOW CAN I FIND IT TO
    > UNINSTALL IT. PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS. STELLA

    R. C. White Guest

  6. #6

    "Donald Link" <linkdmindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Is not Win XP basically Win2000 with a lot more support for
    hardware. How

    Windows 2000 was the marketing name for Windows NT 5.0. and
    Windows XP is the marketing name for Windows NT 5.1. Yes, they
    are very similar (as the real names indicate), but XP has several
    improvements over 2000, not just more support for hardware.

    > much difference is there really. Asking this question of the
    general
    > newsgroup because I can not see how going back to Win2000 would
    be easier.

    I agree with you completely. In my view, Stella's doing so would
    be a mistake.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "STELLA" <STELPADAOL.COM> wrote in message
    > > I INSTALLED WINDOWS xp BUT FOUND THAT IT IS TOO ADVANCED
    > > FOR ME (I AM A BEGINNER) AND WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO MY
    > > ORIGINAL WINDOWS 2000 HOWEVER I CANNOT FIND WINDOWS XP IN
    > > THE REMOVE/CHANGE I ONLY FIND HP, AOL, AND OTHER PROGRAMS
    > > BUT NOT WINDOWS XP IS NOT LISTED, HOW CAN I FIND IT TO
    > > UNINSTALL IT. PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS. STELLA

    Ken Blake Guest

  7. #7

    Default Uninstalling

    I put windows XP on my computer, then installed it for
    the trial period on the kids computer. Their computer
    isn't powerful enough to take full advantage of this
    operating system. I let the trial period expire, but now
    I don't know how to uninstall and put 98 back on. Any
    help for the novice would be appreciated.
    Jen
    Jen Guest