Professional Web Applications Themes

Uninstalling OS X - Mac Applications & Software

matt neuburg (matttidbits.com) wrote: : Wade wrote: : > For various reasons I would like to uninstall OS X (Jaguar) from my : > Mac (G4 dual 500, 384 RAM). The residual OS would be 9.2.2. : > : > I know this needs to be done with some care... : I don't understand why this is a big deal. The only thing you can do : wrong is delete Mac OS X while the machine is still set up to boot from : it. So make sure you've set your startup preferences to boot from Mac OS : 9, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Uninstalling OS X

    : Wade wrote:
    : > For various reasons I would like to uninstall OS X (Jaguar) from my
    : > Mac (G4 dual 500, 384 RAM). The residual OS would be 9.2.2.
    : >
    : > I know this needs to be done with some care...

    : I don't understand why this is a big deal. The only thing you can do
    : wrong is delete Mac OS X while the machine is still set up to boot from
    : it. So make sure you've set your startup preferences to boot from Mac OS
    : 9, boot from it, and you're done. Delete anything you feel like deleting.
    : If you miss a few pieces it won't matter. m.

    Hi Matt,

    It may not be a _big_ deal, but if you leave the little hidden bits and
    pieces of X lying around, then disk utilities such as Notron will report
    'Major' errors. While one can ignore the warnings, you then take the risk
    of accidentally ignoring something which is truly a problem.

    Some of the things which come up are damaged or missing hardlinks,
    especially in the hidden folder HFS+ Private Data. Deleting the contents
    of this folder seems to have no adverse affect on 9.2.2. However, it's
    been said other places that the only way to efficiently get rid of ALL the
    X-stuff is by a reformat and reinstall of 9.

    --Fred
    Fred Moore Guest

  2. #2

    In article <20030727101234110-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
    matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    > Actually, I would go even further. If you don't want to use Mac OS X,
    > then don't use it! But there's no need to delete *any* of it, since as
    > long as you're booting into Mac OS 9 the presence of Mac OS X hasn't the
    > slightest effect on anything you're doing.
    That's not quite true: Content Indexing takes forever now; a restart from a
    crash takes a lot longer; Sherlock is noticeably slower.
    The World Wide Wade Guest

  3. #3

    In article <waderameyxiii-5D8346.20114426072003news.supernews.com>,
    The World Wide Wade <waderameyxiiiattbi.remove13.com> wrote:

    > I know this needs to be done with some care. I need to trash the obvious
    > files like Users, Library, and mach. But I also need to delete various
    > invisible files.

    Moving invisible files to the Trash is the trick,
    can be done from the command line in X, but you may
    cut your own hand off, so to speak.

    I've "moved" an OS-X install to another disk using
    ResEdit in OS9 to make things visible...
    Peter KERR Guest

  4. #4

    In article <user-487246.12185328072003scream.auckland.ac.nz>,
    Peter KERR <userhost.domain> wrote:
    > In article <waderameyxiii-5D8346.20114426072003news.supernews.com>,
    > The World Wide Wade <waderameyxiiiattbi.remove13.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > I know this needs to be done with some care. I need to trash the obvious
    > > files like Users, Library, and mach. But I also need to delete various
    > > invisible files.
    > >

    > Moving invisible files to the Trash is the trick,
    > can be done from the command line in X, but you may
    > cut your own hand off, so to speak.
    >
    > I've "moved" an OS-X install to another disk using
    > ResEdit in OS9 to make things visible...
    Or, on OS X, install the developer tools, and use
    /Developer/Tools/SetFile to make things visible. These tools came with
    your Mac OS X installation (either on the restore disks or in the retail
    package).

    Or course it seems silly to *install* something which you're going to
    *remove* in a second, but no need to mess with the command-line on a
    life system.

    But remember that the location of the trash can is different in OS X and
    in OS 9...

    Might be easier to use ResEdit (or one of the other utilities of OS 9)
    to remove the stuff from OS 9...

    HTH

    Maarten
    Maarten Sneep Guest

  5. #5

    The World Wide Wade (waderameyxiiiattbi.remove13.com) wrote:
    : In article <20030727101234110-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
    : matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:

    : > Actually, I would go even further. If you don't want to use Mac OS X,
    : > then don't use it! But there's no need to delete *any* of it, since as
    : > long as you're booting into Mac OS 9 the presence of Mac OS X hasn't the
    : > slightest effect on anything you're doing.

    : That's not quite true: Content Indexing takes forever now; a restart from a
    : crash takes a lot longer; Sherlock is noticeably slower.

    And actually, there's a problem which is VERY real and can cause you MAJOR
    difficulties:

    The software *in*9* which handles the updating of the Desktop databases
    doesn't work well with the **50,000** (approximately) files that X puts on
    your hard drive. Through no fault of the user, he or she can end up with a
    thoroughly hosed drive because the update routines don't behave as they
    should.

    If you run 9 as Classic, which is what Apple wants you to do, then the
    routines which control the Desktop DBs are OS X versions and can deal with
    the huge number of files. Hence the _need_ to expunge the X files (sorry,
    couldn't resist the pun) from a 9-booting HD.

    --Fred
    Fred Moore Guest

  6. #6

    In article <bg0vhn$m2m$gcfn.org>, org (Fred Moore)
    wrote:

    Thanks Fred (and others) for your responses. I'm kind of coming around to
    the reformatting option. But ... I've never reformatted a hard drive
    before. I have a Firewire external hard drive (EHD) that is a duplicate
    (under Retrospect) of my internal hard drive (IHD). I've already checked I
    can boot from the EHD. Is the following a plausible way to get want I want
    (an OS 9.2.2 Mac free of OS X)? Also, please forgive any naive/ignorant
    terminology/ideas below:

    1. Boot into the EHD under OS 9.2.

    2. Erase and reformat the IHD.

    3. Create a folder on the EHD containing the OS 9 stuff I want, including
    the System Folder.

    4. Use Retropect to duplicate this on the IHD.

    Is the IHD now ready to go? Or is the above a recipe for disaster?
    The Guest