Professional Web Applications Themes

Unison of grouped fills - Macromedia Freehand

Hi guys I have a complex vector image, and I need to get a silhouette/shadow of them. Thats easily done, just by flattening all the fills, and giving them the same colour - but I need to get rid of all the vector information that isnt being seen, except for the outline, so it becomes a simple object. I tried both join, and 'unite' under path operations, but both of them completely dice it up, any ideas? cheers...

  1. #1

    Default Unison of grouped fills

    Hi guys

    I have a complex vector image, and I need to get a silhouette/shadow of them.
    Thats easily done, just by flattening all the fills, and giving them the same
    colour - but I need to get rid of all the vector information that isnt being
    seen, except for the outline, so it becomes a simple object. I tried both join,
    and 'unite' under path operations, but both of them completely dice it up, any
    ideas?

    cheers

    Oli-G Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unison of grouped fills

    Not sure what you mean by "dice it up"...

    Overlapping closed paths will be combined into one closed path with union.

    Check your preferences to be sure the path operations consumes original
    paths is selected so the extra paths are deleted.

    If the paths are not overlapping you can unjoin them to get separate
    paths to work with.

    If the paths are open, union will not work.

    dp

    D. Guest

  3. #3

    Oli-G wrote:

    One method I've used for this when the artwork is very complex, is to use
    auto-trace using the 'outer edge' setting.

    I prefer to copy the artwork into a new, temporary doent. Do as you've
    done above, changing all colors to black. If the physical size of the
    artwork is small, scale up by 200% or 400% until it's about the size of a
    letter-size page.

    Set the trace tool to 2 grays/high resolution/outer edge/conformity tight.
    Trace. You may have to try a couple of setting adjustments to get the best
    trace for your particular artwork.

    Scale down the traced path to original size and copy back into the main
    working doent.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    Cheers guys

    Consume paths was selected, however the end result was diced (maybe this is
    just an Aussie term?), meaning that half of the paths were completely
    eaten/removed, leaving only a few shapes there. My only guess is that there was
    a loose vector lying around that messed up the union process, but I was fairly
    thorough so i'm not sure that was the case...

    And thanks Grandmaster Judy, I traced as you suggested which ended up working
    out fine!

    Oli-G Guest

  5. #5

    Oli-G wrote:

    Do you mean the resulting shape was not the sum of all the parts you
    tried to union? I've had that happen sometimes where the resulting shape
    was more like a subtraction than a union. I haven't been able to figure
    out what triggers it. Sometimes changing the direction of the shapes
    gets it to work right. Sometimes nothing I do gets it to work. A couple
    of other things to try:

    Union two to three shapes at a time. I figure it might be less
    confusing for Freehand that way.

    Copy the shapes to a new, clean doent.

    As a last resort you can cut and join the outside lines of all the shapes.

    Hope something there can be of help.
    Wes Guest

  6. #6

    Yeah it was working more like a subtraction function.

    Cheers Wes, doing them a few shapes at a time makes sense, will remember for next time!
    Oli-G Guest