Professional Web Applications Themes

unix file attributes: general question - Debian

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:54:13AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote: > I know little about unix file attributes, and wonder if someone would > point me to an introduction to the subject. > > When a file is saved, I specify its name and where to save it. I know > from use of the ls -l command that there's additional information > about ownership, permission, last saved date date, size, and basic > file type (directory or doc). > > Is there any other attribute information stored or potentially stored > in the file? Applications apparently can detect ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: unix file attributes: general question

    On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:54:13AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
    > I know little about unix file attributes, and wonder if someone would
    > point me to an introduction to the subject.
    >
    > When a file is saved, I specify its name and where to save it. I know
    > from use of the ls -l command that there's additional information
    > about ownership, permission, last saved date date, size, and basic
    > file type (directory or doc).
    >
    > Is there any other attribute information stored or potentially stored
    > in the file? Applications apparently can detect a doent's file
    > type, so that information must be held somewhere. Is information about
    > the doent's MIME type and cht also held?
    No. Applications that detect the file type do so by very well-educated
    guesswork. The 'file' command does this, for example.
    > I thought that the command lsattrib would display all this
    > information, but apparently no such command or utility exists. Is
    > there something that will display all the information about a file,
    > going beyond the ls -l command?
    'stat' (in the stat package) shows you all the metadata. 'ls' can be
    persuaded to show you pretty much all of that by using various options.

    Cheers,

    --
    Colin Watson [cjwatsonflatline.org.uk]

    Colin Watson Guest

  2. #2

    >>I thought that the command lsattrib would display all this
    >>information, but apparently no such command or utility exists. Is
    >>there something that will display all the information about a file,
    >>going beyond the ls -l command?
    >
    > 'stat' (in the stat package) shows you all the metadata. 'ls' can be
    > persuaded to show you pretty much all of that by using various options.
    The lsattr command is probably what you were thinking of, Haines.
    But it doesn't do what you want :-(

    There is no information about file type in the file system. It is
    usually embedded at the start of the file according to various
    conventions. Try searching for 'magic cookies', for example, or reading
    the XML spec ;-|. As Colin says, programs use various methods to decide
    what is embedded in a particular file.

    Cheers, Dave

    Dave Howorth Guest

  3. #3

    > > Is there any other attribute information stored or potentially stored
    > > in the file? Applications apparently can detect a doent's file
    > > type, so that information must be held somewhere. Is information about
    > > the doent's MIME type and cht also held?
    >
    > No. Applications that detect the file type do so by very well-educated
    > guesswork. The 'file' command does this, for example.
    >
    > 'stat' (in the stat package) shows you all the metadata. 'ls' can be
    > persuaded to show you pretty much all of that by using various options.
    Very helpful, thanks. I found the man file particularly interesting.

    Haines

    Haines Brown Guest