Professional Web Applications Themes

Unixware 7.0.1 and SCSI tapre drive - SCO

Hello all, UW7.0.1 I know nothing about, other then man works like any other UNIX, for the most part. ;) A client has a UW7.0.1 box running their accounting software for over three years now, non stop. I'm afraid to turn it off because they have not had a clean backup in about the same amount of time and the Internal, SCSI DDS90, tape drive needs to be replaced according to the BRU logs. In order to get a clean backup, before I destroy the thing, I have a DDS3 SCSI tape drive in an external case, but I need ...

  1. #1

    Default Unixware 7.0.1 and SCSI tapre drive

    Hello all,

    UW7.0.1 I know nothing about, other then man works like any other UNIX,
    for the most part. ;)

    A client has a UW7.0.1 box running their accounting software for over
    three years now, non stop. I'm afraid to turn it off because they have
    not had a clean backup in about the same amount of time and the
    Internal, SCSI DDS90, tape drive needs to be replaced according to the
    BRU logs. In order to get a clean backup, before I destroy the thing, I
    have a DDS3 SCSI tape drive in an external case, but I need some info to
    connect it.

    man -k is not helping me much here, as I have no clue what I'm looking
    for. Can anyone please tell me:

    1.) how I can tell, without opening the box, what SCSI device number the
    internal tape drive is on

    2.) what command(s) program(s) I need to use to install a second tape
    drive.

    I have no doentation other than man files at my disposal there is not
    even an Internet connection; the thing resides in a highly dusty,
    smelly, basement of a large print house.

    Any direction to some online docs for UW7.0.1 would be highly
    appreciated too.

    Thanks,

    Skot.

    Skot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unixware 7.0.1 and SCSI tapre drive

    Skot wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > UW7.0.1 I know nothing about, other then man works like any other UNIX,
    > for the most part. ;)
    >
    > A client has a UW7.0.1 box running their accounting software for over
    > three years now, non stop. I'm afraid to turn it off because they have
    > not had a clean backup in about the same amount of time and the
    > Internal, SCSI DDS90, tape drive needs to be replaced according to the
    > BRU logs. In order to get a clean backup, before I destroy the thing, I
    > have a DDS3 SCSI tape drive in an external case, but I need some info to
    > connect it.
    >
    > man -k is not helping me much here, as I have no clue what I'm looking
    > for. Can anyone please tell me:
    >
    > 1.) how I can tell, without opening the box, what SCSI device number the
    > internal tape drive is on
    sdiconfig -l

    > 2.) what command(s) program(s) I need to use to install a second tape
    > drive.
    Nothing; simply turn the box off, install the new tape and fire it up;
    once to multi-user mode, "sdiconfig -l" will tell you about the new
    configuration and (hopefully) you'll get a new device under /dev/rmt
    (eg, ctape2 - ctape1 being the first one) to use.

    > I have no doentation other than man files at my disposal there is not
    > even an Internet connection; the thing resides in a highly dusty,
    > smelly, basement of a large print house.
    >
    > Any direction to some online docs for UW7.0.1 would be highly
    > appreciated too.
    If memory serves, point a browser to

    [url]http://localhost:457[/url]

    If you end up with an error, try

    /etc/scohelphttp start

    and point again your browser back to the above URL.

    If you're in trouble and have a (separate) Internet connection:

    [url]http://www.sco.com/support/docs/unixware/[/url]

    There you'll find docs and info about UW 7.1.1 which should still apply
    to 7.0.1.

    > Thanks,

    My pleasure,
    Rob

    Roberto Zini email : r.zini<AT>strhold.it
    Technical Support Manager -- Strhold Evolution Division R.E. (ITALY)
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"
    (Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

    Roberto Zini Guest

  3. #3

    Skot wrote:
    > Roberto Zini wrote:
    >
    >> Skot wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> UW7.0.1 I know nothing about, other then man works like any other
    >>> UNIX, for the most part. ;)

    [snip]

    >> Nothing; simply turn the box off, install the new tape and fire it up;
    >> once to multi-user mode, "sdiconfig -l" will tell you about the new
    >> configuration and (hopefully) you'll get a new device under /dev/rmt
    >> (eg, ctape2 - ctape1 being the first one) to use.
    >

    > Ugh! That's what I was afraid of: turning that box off after 3 years of
    > continuous runtime could lead to hardware failures.
    Is that a suspicion of yours or what ? We have a 5.0.5 box which has
    been running during the past 3/4 years (and it's still running) but we
    do not notice any HW failure when, from time to time, we have to turn it
    off for maintenance.

    Also, my PC has been running UW 7.1.1 and (at the minute) OpenUnix8 and
    I use to leaving it switched on a 28x8 basis without having particular
    HW problems (which cannot guarantee - of course - that you'll never have
    them in the future :-)

    If I do turn it off
    > I'll just replace the drive and reconfigure BRU.
    >
    > Looks like they are out of luck, I'll just have to take that chance, I
    > guess, unless anyone can tell me a way to add the external drive with
    > out turning off the box.

    I never tried it personally but I hardly think it's possibile; also, the
    device name generation is performed at boot-time so dunno if there's a
    workaround as to avoid rebooting the box.

    What about using BackupEdge/LoneTar/others commercial backup sw as to
    perform a couple of backup BEFORE rebooting the box ? Should the system
    play up after a reboot, you could restore the whole configuration in
    minutes.

    >> If you're in trouble and have a (separate) Internet connection:
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.sco.com/support/docs/unixware/[/url]
    >>
    >> There you'll find docs and info about UW 7.1.1 which should still
    >> apply to 7.0.1.
    >

    > Thanks, that's very helpful along with pen and notepad. :)
    >
    > Is there much difference between the releases?

    Not in terms of concepts and basic features; a lot in terms of
    reliability, stability, bug fixes and new/advanced feature.

    Best,
    Roberto