Professional Web Applications Themes

"Unknown Format" error with simple Web Capture - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Greetings all, <http://www.sitepoint.com/print/perspective-moving-effect> is the URL, and produces produces an "unknown format" error, as does every other plain jane URL I try to capture. This is Acrobat 6, the updater says not available at this time, running on Win XP pro. This is very perplexing, not to mention frustrating. Any ideas? regards, stevenjs...

  1. #1

    Default "Unknown Format" error with simple Web Capture

    stevenjs@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: "Unknown Format" error with simple Web Capture

    I wouldn't call Flash content "plain Jane", at least for an HTML converter like Web Capture.

    George
    George_Johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Well, Flash in an html page is plain jane to many of us.

    Flash is just another html object, the equivalent of an image path.

    Are you saying Acrobat barfs on (pardon my expression)any page containing an object tag?

  4. #4

    Try using the Acrobat icon in the IE toolbar to create the PDF instead of Web Capture.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Acrobat's certainly not going to handle Flash in a web page - when
    will this awful fad die out?

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    The code to embed Flash content in a web page may be HTML, but the content certainly is not. It requires a flash viewer to be installed, just like PDF embedded in a HTML page requires Acrobat (or some other suitable viewer) to be installed.

    Exactly how would you expect flash content to be converted to PDF? As a static image? As a movie? Something else?

  7. #7

    Well, I would expect it to be converted to PDF as a "broken image" to borrow a term from html.

    Or allow for a default placeholder to enable the capture of the rest of the page.

    Or, yes, a static image, as Acrobat does in fact do when the html page is "printed" to PDF.

    However, I have 74 pages to garner, all containing Flash. Instead of appending, I have to print each one to pdf, then insert it in the doent??!

    I think this is product failure, not to allow any capture if Flash is there.

    "when will this awful fad die out?"<

    I'm trying to imagine how you've arrived at this impasse. ;-0

  8. #8

    This company has a rule that no unauthorized software is downloaded.
    (I own the company and make the rule, but that is not the usual
    situation).

    A great many web pages want to download a later version of Flash. So
    they don't get viewed. A pity, some of them might have something
    interesting to say.

  9. #9

    You mean only admin's can? I've never been in a company where nobody could. I don't think that is the norm. But I don't see where "fad die" comes from even if that were the norm.

    The versioning is annoying, I agree, but usually marks an improvement at some level. On the other hand, the numbers confirm, some fads never die. ;-)

  10. #10

    >You mean only admin's can? I've never been in a company where nobody could. I don't think that is the norm.

    Yes, only admins can, but that doesn't mean that they will.

    I consider Flash pages an awful fad which will, one day, die, when
    customers wrench control of their web pages back from irresponsible
    designers. Well, it may live on in web designers sites.

  11. #11

    >>You mean only admin's can? I've never been in a company where nobody could. I don't think that is the norm.

    I really got sidetracked from answering this. It is the norm in many
    companies - the larger, the more likely - that PCs are built from one
    or more generic master disks. In this model, extra software changes of
    any kind are frequently not tolerated; software has to go back to the
    master and be pushed.

    I solved the Flash problem by blocking access to download Flash; this
    stops the interminable wait before a prompt to install something to
    which the only reply can be no.

  12. #12

    You should look at the acceptance stats. Eveyone loves Flash. I don't mean the Splash page fad, which is already going away.

    Some would argue that html is just an awful fad doomed to go the way of the dinosaur.

    When bandwidth is no longer an issue, it may well be there will only be Flash.

  13. #13

    >When bandwidth is no longer an issue, it may well be there will only be Flash.

    Not so long as people want their sites to appear in Google.

    But anyway, I'm sure it will all be very different...

  14. #14

    I thought so too, before today, visiting the same site pages I can't append in Acrobat.

    See, <http://www.sitepoint.com/article/instant-visibility-fast>

    and

    <http://www.sitepoint.com/article/accessible-flash-parts-1-2>