Professional Web Applications Themes

Unplug a scsi drive and boot dies - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

do you know why on a linux server. 1. We turn the power off. 2. we unplug a hard drive, and then plug it back in and it stops working when you turn it back on. it's an ibm scsi controller card that's being used. This has happened on 2 machines. Any clues?...

  1. #1

    Default Unplug a scsi drive and boot dies

    do you know why on a linux server.
    1. We turn the power off.
    2. we unplug a hard drive, and then plug it back in and
    it stops working when you turn it back on.

    it's an ibm scsi controller card that's being used.

    This has happened on 2 machines.

    Any clues?
    Krusty Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unplug a scsi drive and boot dies

    "Krusty" <com> wrote in message

    It's likely one of two things:

    1: Your MBR was on that drive on the SCSI chain.
    2: That drive had a lower number than the drive with your "/" or other
    active partitions, and the re-ordering of your drives is confusing the drive
    numbering and disk mounting scheme.

    Can you post a copy of "/etc/fstab" and the contents of your
    "/etc/lilo.conf" or "/etc/grub.conf"? And describe in more detail how it
    "stops working"?

    Nico Guest

  3. #3

    "Krusty" <com> wrote in message

    Is it because you changed the ID on the scsi drive ?

    Is it because you plugged into a different scsi card ? or a different
    interface on the same card ?

    I can usually unplug a drive and reinstall it without disaster, but maybe
    you treat it like a frisbee.
    or something.

    Leon. Guest

  4. #4

    It's the same drive. It wasn't moved around at all. Just unplugged
    from the scsi controller and then plugged back in.

    "Leon." <net> wrote in message news:<3fd57a53$rivernet.com.au>...

    > Is it because you changed the ID on the scsi drive ?
    >
    > Is it because you plugged into a different scsi card ? or a different
    > interface on the same card ?
    >

    > I can usually unplug a drive and reinstall it without disaster, but maybe
    > you treat it like a frisbee.
    > or something.[/ref]
    Krusty Guest

  5. #5

    And by stop working, it doesn't boot up. It gives an error that it
    can't find a hard drive.
    "Leon." <net> wrote in message news:<3fd57a53$rivernet.com.au>...

    > Is it because you changed the ID on the scsi drive ?
    >
    > Is it because you plugged into a different scsi card ? or a different
    > interface on the same card ?
    >

    > I can usually unplug a drive and reinstall it without disaster, but maybe
    > you treat it like a frisbee.
    > or something.[/ref]
    Krusty Guest

  6. #6

    Krusty <com> wrote:

    Please don't top post.

    Please don't post vaguenesses.

    It doesn't say that at all. Be precise. It speaks of not being able to
    mount the root file system ("VFS"). It finds "drives" (you mean
    "disks") just fine.

    Now you play ball and tell us what it DOES say. You tell us

    1) what disks the kernel detects, under what device names
    2) what it is set to have as root device
    3) what you do have in the place where the kernel expects the root
    device.

    And you cpy it down verbatim, making the effort that you haven't
    bothered to make so far.

    And if you attempt to top post again, you can continue playing guessing
    games with yoruself.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  7. #7

    "Krusty" <com> wrote
    Clutching at straws here...
    a) you know that turning off the power via the front panel switch doesn't
    really remove dc power from the motherboard on newer computers,
    right? They often put a red idiot light on the mb to remind you of that.
    b) if the scsi termination is 'iffy' then touching the hard disk case to the
    computer case can push it over the line to 'too bad to run' until you
    remove the hd case ground again.
    c) don't assume your little Berg jumpers on the hard disk aren't broken.

    Frank Guest

  8. #8

    Ok, sorry
    When the power was turned off, the plug was taken out as well. Then
    the drive was removed and put back in.
    When turning on again, it goes through it's boot up and says,
    Intel Boot Agent
    PXE-E61 Media Test failure Check Cable,
    PXE-M0F Exiting Intel PXE ROM
    Operating System not found

    When trying to reformat the drive and boot of CD rom it doesn't find
    the hard drive.

    Adaptec has some SCSI utilities options too. I'm not that familiar
    with SCSI drives, but all that happened is that it was unplugged.

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) wrote in message news:<it.uc3m.es>...

    > Please don't top post.

    > Please don't post vaguenesses.
    >
    > It doesn't say that at all. Be precise. It speaks of not being able to
    > mount the root file system ("VFS"). It finds "drives" (you mean
    > "disks") just fine.
    >
    > Now you play ball and tell us what it DOES say. You tell us
    >
    > 1) what disks the kernel detects, under what device names
    > 2) what it is set to have as root device
    > 3) what you do have in the place where the kernel expects the root
    > device.
    >
    > And you cpy it down verbatim, making the effort that you haven't
    > bothered to make so far.
    >
    > And if you attempt to top post again, you can continue playing guessing
    > games with yoruself.
    >
    > Peter[/ref]
    Krusty Guest

  9. #9

    sorry it was just the case that was messed up.

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) wrote in message news:<it.uc3m.es>...

    > Please don't top post.

    > Please don't post vaguenesses.
    >
    > It doesn't say that at all. Be precise. It speaks of not being able to
    > mount the root file system ("VFS"). It finds "drives" (you mean
    > "disks") just fine.
    >
    > Now you play ball and tell us what it DOES say. You tell us
    >
    > 1) what disks the kernel detects, under what device names
    > 2) what it is set to have as root device
    > 3) what you do have in the place where the kernel expects the root
    > device.
    >
    > And you cpy it down verbatim, making the effort that you haven't
    > bothered to make so far.
    >
    > And if you attempt to top post again, you can continue playing guessing
    > games with yoruself.
    >
    > Peter[/ref]
    Krusty Guest

  10. #10

    Krusty <com> wrote:

    Please don't top post! I have no idea what you are replying to.
    Let's try fixing your post.

    > > Please don't top post.[/ref][/ref]

    Does your comment go here?

    Nope.

    > > Please don't post vaguenesses.[/ref][/ref]

    Maybe here?

    What's a "case"? I didn't say anything about a case! Not here.
     [/ref]

    Maybe here?

    No - that's not a reply to anything I asked for.
     [/ref]

    Well, maybe it goes here? Maybe you mean upper or lower case, and you
    are referring to your non-copying of kernel messages?

    If so, you are wrong. The message was way out from anything the kernel
    says, and you have to copy it, not send me vague missives that abstract
    wildly from what you think may be what you did, and get that wrong too.

     [/ref]

    Maybe it goes here?

    Ah, I get it! You're the "case"! You have trouble expressing yourself
    coherently. You are a patient in a mental asylum, no?

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  11. #11

    "Krusty" <com> wrote in message

    ah yep, you treated the case like a frisbee.

    Leon. Guest

  12. #12

    "Krusty" <com> wrote in message

    For the record, this means that the SCSI card came out of its slot, and
    stopped working. And so the PC tried to boot off the network (it has a
    Intel boot agent rom installed, it has bios has "network" in its list of
    boot options ).

    Leon. Guest

  13. #13

    "Frank Winans" <net> wrote in message
    > Clutching at straws here...
    > a) you know that turning off the power via the front panel switch doesn't
    > really remove dc power from the motherboard on newer computers,
    > right? They often put a red idiot light on the mb to remind you of that.
    > b) if the scsi termination is 'iffy' then touching the hard disk case to[/ref]
    the

    How did you "unplug" the drive? Did you use a hot swap bay? And the drive
    wasn't by any chance the last one on the SCSI chain and had the termination
    built into it or turned on?

    Debugging SCSI chain flakiness is a source of serious stress for SCSI
    victims. Apple used to do it very, very well by mandating very high quality
    components to be approved for Macintosh use, and highly restricting the
    configurations you could install. For others, there's a lot of "it worked in
    the lab!" setups where cabling length, cable type, "active" vs. "passive"
    termination, switching from SCSI II to SCSI I in the middle of a chain using
    an adapter and not being able to switch back, etc., etc. all used to happen
    a lot.....

    Nico Guest

  14. #14

    It's a replay to everything about the other messages. Problem solved,
    it was just a glitch in the case.
    What's your fixation with top posting??? I've never really heard that
    term before.
    Look at the message right above mine on the tree. That's what I'm
    replying to. If I need to reference any part of it I'll quote it.
    Your post cracking me was hilarious, get a life dude.

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) wrote in message news:<it.uc3m.es>...

    > Please don't top post! I have no idea what you are replying to.
    > Let's try fixing your post.
    > [/ref]
    >

    > Does your comment go here?

    > Nope.
    > [/ref]
    >
    > Maybe here?

    > What's a "case"? I didn't say anything about a case! Not here.
    > [/ref]
    >
    > Maybe here?

    > No - that's not a reply to anything I asked for.
    > [/ref]

    > Well, maybe it goes here? Maybe you mean upper or lower case, and you
    > are referring to your non-copying of kernel messages?
    >
    > If so, you are wrong. The message was way out from anything the kernel
    > says, and you have to copy it, not send me vague missives that abstract
    > wildly from what you think may be what you did, and get that wrong too.
    >
    > [/ref]
    >
    > Maybe it goes here?

    > Ah, I get it! You're the "case"! You have trouble expressing yourself
    > coherently. You are a patient in a mental asylum, no?
    >

    > Peter[/ref]
    Krusty Guest

  15. #15

    Krusty <com> wrote:

    What is? What replay? What problem? What "other messages"?

    What was? What is a "case"? Do you mean the metal covering around a
    computer? If so, I'm sorry, it's not connected to the system.

    ?? Top-posting is something that people who use MS tend to do, because
    MS apps either make it difficult to reply properly, or else people who
    use MS tend to be too ignorant or too inexpressive to understand that
    they are supposed to move the cursor down from the top when they reply
    to a post, replying paragraph by paragraph as they go, and removing what
    they do not comment on.

    Otherwise nobody can understand what you are commenting on! Maye in
    your head you know what you are replying to, but you have to
    communicate it!

    What "tree"? Your app is not the same as mine! I don't order things the
    way you do. Your server is not the same as mine - it doesn't contain
    the same messages. I doesn't keep them for the same time. It doesn't
    receive them in the same order.

    You really seem completely unaware that you are incomprehensible! You
    ahev to make an effort to communicate. That means understanding what
    you r communication looks like *to others*.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  16. #16

    "Krusty" wrote
    It's the tradition in certain newsgroups; it wreaks havoc when a long thread
    has multiple authors using differing standards. 'Dude' was annoyed but
    conveyed that in a restrained manner, imho -- & you _did_ come to the party
    with hat-in-hand. Thanks for posting a follow-up on what you discovered.

    Frank Guest

  17. #17

    Peter, Peter the (well you can fill in the blank here)

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) wrote in message news:<it.uc3m.es>...

    > What is? What replay? What problem? What "other messages"?[/ref]

    Well what's a 'ahev'??? HAHA I'm so funny, spelling errors are just
    so funny.
    "You really seem completely unaware that you are incomprehensible!
    You
    "ahev to make an effort to communicate. That means understanding
    what"

    And I was responding to all the messages in general saying that the
    problem's gone. So there was nothing to reply to!!

    > What was? What is a "case"? Do you mean the metal covering around a
    > computer? If so, I'm sorry, it's not connected to the system.
    >[/ref]
    The server case I'm using is connected to the system

    > ?? Top-posting is something that people who use MS tend to do, because
    > MS apps either make it difficult to reply properly, or else people who
    > use MS tend to be too ignorant or too inexpressive to understand that
    > they are supposed to move the cursor down from the top when they reply
    > to a post, replying paragraph by paragraph as they go, and removing what
    > they do not comment on.
    >[/ref]
    For me it's much easy to top post, and I personally like it when
    people top post, so I don't have to go through the whole message.
    Sometimes top posting makes sense, and sometimes it doesn't. In this
    case in makes sense not to top post, because you made so many stupid
    statements.

    What's a 'Maye' hahahha (I'm so funny)

    > What "tree"? Your app is not the same as mine! I don't order things the
    > way you do. Your server is not the same as mine - it doesn't contain
    > the same messages. I doesn't keep them for the same time. It doesn't
    > receive them in the same order.
    >[/ref]
    Well your server s, and that's your problem. Welcome to the year
    2000, and while you're at it get rid of your members only jacket!

    > You really seem completely unaware that you are incomprehensible! You
    > ahev to make an effort to communicate. That means understanding what
    > you r communication looks like *to others*.
    >
    > Peter[/ref]

    Peter, haha, 'Hi my name is Peter'
    Krusty Guest

  18. Moderated Post