Professional Web Applications Themes

Unstuffit RSRC file ? How to view data file ? - Mac Applications & Software

I receive a stuffit file (*.sit). When I expand it, it produces two files, one is the actual data and the other is a file with the same name but with the extension .rsrc . I think the rsrc file is some sort of information file ? What is the rsrc file anyway ? More importantly, HOW do I VIEW my data file ?? Thanks in advance for any help....

  1. #1

    Default Unstuffit RSRC file ? How to view data file ?

    I receive a stuffit file (*.sit). When I expand it, it produces two files,
    one is the actual data and the other is a file with the same name but with the
    extension .rsrc .

    I think the rsrc file is some sort of information file ? What is the rsrc
    file anyway ?

    More importantly, HOW do I VIEW my data file ??

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unstuffit RSRC file ? How to view data file ?

    >I receive a stuffit file (*.sit). When I expand it, it produces two files,

    What kind of file is in the Stuffit archive?

    The Macintosh filesystem is much more complex than other filesystems. Mac files
    have two "parts," which are called a "data fork" and a "resource fork." The Mac
    directory entry also contains metadata about the file, such as information
    about the application associated with the file.

    PCs can not handle two-part files. The "RSRC" file is the Mac resource fork and
    directory metadata.

    For files such as images or other doents, the RSRC file contains the file's
    identifier (Type and Creator codes), the file's icon, and the like.

    For Mac-specific files like fonts or applications, the RSRC file contains
    PostScript code, and objects such as windows, dialogs, icon and file reference
    information, object code, and the like.

    In any event, you can not use the RSRC file on a PC. It contains ac-only
    information not usable or meaningful on a PC.

    What kind of data file is it? If it's a picture, you use a program that can
    view pictures. if it's a word processing doent, you use a word processor.
    What is it?

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    Minor nit: The rsrc file is the Mac resource fork. The directory
    metadata is the directory metadata, and is lost if you extract a stuffit
    archive on another platform.

    Nope. If the file has a custom icon or a preview it will be there. Not
    the T&C, though.

    The most important thing, I've found, in trying to view a file on a PC
    is to make sure the extension is right. I've seen a truly distressing
    number of DOS/Windows apps that rely on the extension even if the data
    format includes signature bytes to identify the content.

    Gregory Guest

  4. #4

    >Minor nit: The rsrc file is the Mac resource fork. The directory

    I haven't worked with Stuffit in particular, but most other methods for placing
    a Mac file on a flat filesystem such as a PC disk lump the directory metadata
    and resource fork together into a separate file.

    Now you have me curious. Think I'll unstuff some Mac files on my PC and dig
    through the resource file.

  5. #5

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    > I haven't worked with Stuffit in particular, but most other methods for
    > placing
    > a Mac file on a flat filesystem such as a PC disk lump the directory metadata
    > and resource fork together into a separate file.
    >
    > Now you have me curious. Think I'll unstuff some Mac files on my PC and dig
    > through the resource file.[/ref]

    I've actually done this by hand a few times, and my experience has been
    that the RSRC file extracted from/by StuffIt is, in fact, a resource
    fork exactly as described in Inside Macintosh. The only time I've seen
    the directory information carried forward is if you end up with a
    MacBinary file, in which case you get a header containing all the
    metadata, followed without padding by the data and resource forks.

    I would think, since the resource fork is not an opaque format, that a
    remove storage facility that retained the metadata by attaching it to
    the resource file would be fragile or break things (depending on which
    end of the resource fork was augmented).

    Gregory Guest

  6. #6

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    > I haven't worked with Stuffit in particular, but most other methods for
    > placing
    > a Mac file on a flat filesystem such as a PC disk lump the directory metadata
    > and resource fork together into a separate file.
    >
    > Now you have me curious. Think I'll unstuff some Mac files on my PC and dig
    > through the resource file.[/ref]

    I've actually done this by hand a few times, and my experience has been
    that the RSRC file extracted from/by StuffIt is, in fact, a resource
    fork exactly as described in Inside Macintosh. The only time I've seen
    the directory information carried forward is if you end up with a
    MacBinary file, in which case you get a header containing all the
    metadata, followed without padding by the data and resource forks.

    I would think, since the resource fork is not an opaque format, that a
    remote storage facility that retained the metadata by attaching it to