Professional Web Applications Themes

Unwanted margin-top and margin-bottom styles - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Editing a template-based page in Contribute CS3, there is no List Properties option (Help file says "Note: This option is not available for template-based pages or in tables.") So how do I specify a class for a [BULLET] entry? If I create the text first with a chosen class, then convert to "Bulleted List", I end up with: <ul style="margin-top: 0;"> [LI]<span class="reversed" style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0;"> - which is not what I want (I want to set a non-zero bottom margin, for example). I am using an external CSS file, and there is no UL or LI entry in ...

  1. #1

    Default Unwanted margin-top and margin-bottom styles

    Editing a template-based page in Contribute CS3, there is no List Properties
    option (Help file says "Note: This option is not available for template-based
    pages or in tables.")

    So how do I specify a class for a [BULLET] entry?

    If I create the text first with a chosen class, then convert to "Bulleted
    List", I end up with:

    <ul style="margin-top: 0;">
    [LI]<span class="reversed" style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0;">

    - which is not what I want (I want to set a non-zero bottom margin, for
    example).

    I am using an external CSS file, and there is no UL or LI entry in the list of
    HTML styles that can be chosen in Contribute. Should there be?

    Is there some way of setting default styles for these tags in the dwt template?

    John Geddes

    John Geddes Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unwanted margin-top and margin-bottom styles

    Check the Users and Roles section under Administer websites (menu: Edit, Administer Websites). Find the Styles settings and adjust them to your liking.
    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Even where the user is allowed to apply styles, Contribute adds the code:

    style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0;"

    INSIDE the <p> or [LI] tag, AFTER the user's style choice - thus making sure
    that it is Contribute's zero values that apply, whatever the user's preference.

    [I think I have seen just the Margin-Top value applied at the beginning of an
    edited section, and just the Margin-Bottom value applied at the end of a
    section, but I haven't had the time to work out exactly when this happens]

    The only workaround I have found is to redesign all styles to use Margin-Top:0
    and Margin-Bottom:0 anyway. Otherwise a user edit to a paragraph that has been
    authored with a plain <p> or [LI] tag results in vertical spacing being mucked
    up.

    I've so far managed to cope with this, but I am sure others can think of
    stylistic effects that can only be achieved by adjusting the Margin-Top and
    Margin-Bottom values, so a proper solution to this apparent "nasty" would still
    be welcome.

    But even if there is no solution, why on earth is the doentation so quiet
    about this?

    John Geddes Guest

  4. #4

    You really have to play around with the Styles settings for your users in
    Contribute, cause the answers to your problems are there. The best way to get
    to know these setting is to play around with them in your own role and then
    apply the settings you want to the user-roles.

    Specific wishes according to styles you can implement in a seperate css-file
    that you make available to you users (also done in the Users and Roles
    settings), instead of letting them apply styles f.i.

    Also keep in mind the difference when you use 'dreamweaver style editing' or
    'ms-word style editing'. The code you don't want to be added looks a lot like
    the code that Contribute adds to fake the MS-word editing experience (I refer
    to: style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0)

    ThinkInk Guest

  5. #5

    From what I know, in Contribute their is a lot of element you can't apply style
    on.

    Typical are <div> and [BULLET], mainly because you can't create them or select
    them. Only the CSS can give style to these elements and have to be defined by
    the website admin/deisgner.

    A trick is to have a class style defined in the CSS and a template element
    that users can apply the style.

    For exemple putting a div in a table cell in you editable region in your
    template will allow users to apply the class style to the selection (the table)
    and the cascade will apply the style to the div.

    CSS.

    richsky Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks John and Rick for that answer. I fixed this problem in my site by just
    setting "margin: 0" for those styles. (And of course there is also
    * { margin: 0; }
    to set it for all styles.

    ThinkInk: I see where you're headed -- that CS3's settings will control the
    injection of these styles -- but I don't see where. I have looked through all
    my settings and toggled every option that looked like it might have bearing on
    Word-like editing with no luck. Do you have a specific solution?

    Thanks,
    Tim

    senortim Guest

  7. #7

    What I ment is:

    1. in the main menu go to Edit>Administer Websites>Users and Roles
    2. Pick your role, click Edit Role Settings
    3. go to Editing
    4. go to paragraph spacing

    Now when you simply toggle between the two options there (text-editor like or
    dreamweaver like) the result is like this when you put in some paragraphs by
    hitting the Enter-btn:

    Text-editor like:

    Dreamweaver style:

    ThinkInk Guest