Professional Web Applications Themes

Update a table without using a form - Coldfusion Database Access

Is there a way to update a table without using a form? In my situation I receive a GET with a username. From that I query a table to get the user's current status regarding updates, query a second table for available updates, compare what's available with what the user has, and then update the user's data in the original table queried with the available updates which the user does not yet have. The final step is to respond with a message only visible to the server which triggers the automatic download of the updates. The user never sees the ...

  1. #1

    Default Update a table without using a form

    Is there a way to update a table without using a form?

    In my situation I receive a GET with a username. From that I query a table to
    get the user's current status regarding updates, query a second table for
    available updates, compare what's available with what the user has, and then
    update the user's data in the original table queried with the available updates
    which the user does not yet have.

    The final step is to respond with a message only visible to the server which
    triggers the automatic download of the updates. The user never sees the
    processing, has no input to the process and hence there is no way to click on a
    submit button. All I need to do is to update one field in one table. Any help
    will be greatly appreciated. :confused;

    Wrapper Guy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Update a table without using a form

    Put all that code in an iframe. Make it 1pixel by 1 pixel so the user doesn't see it.
    Dan Bracuk Guest

  3. #3

    I'm sorry but I don't see how that will help. The user is running a stand alone
    program we developed on his/her computer. We have a feature that allows the
    user to automatically update the program by clicking on an option from within
    the program that then sends his username to our server. The user never sees
    anything more than that and the process does not open any web page. It simply
    sends a GET to a CF script on the server. I need to update one field of one
    table based on the user's profile and without anyone "clicking". Thanks for the
    reply. I hope you have another solution.

    Wrapper Guy Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the help. I finally figured out that since my script is activated by
    the receipt of a GET, I could use the information in the GET as a unique
    identifier and used the '#url.serial#' in the WHERE clause.:D

    Wrapper Guy Guest