Professional Web Applications Themes

Update Database - Dreamweaver AppDev

I have created an update record in two different ways. 1. when a person searches for a particular coach (youth scrimmage contacts database) it brings up possible results based on their parameters they entered via the boxes I have given them to search with. From the results listing they can click to see more detail about the team/coach/comments etc. At the bottom of that page I have created an "edit this info" link that takes me to the info update page where I can change the info and submit thus taking me back to the same detail page with the ...

  1. #1

    Default Update Database

    I have created an update record in two different ways.

    1. when a person searches for a particular coach (youth scrimmage contacts
    database) it brings up possible results based on their parameters they entered
    via the boxes I have given them to search with. From the results listing they
    can click to see more detail about the team/coach/comments etc. At the bottom
    of that page I have created an "edit this info" link that takes me to the info
    update page where I can change the info and submit thus taking me back to the
    same detail page with the "New and Improved info"

    2. I have created a search page where the user searches via coach name, team
    name, and team gender. The results show if there is a record that matches the
    3 critera. There they click on the name taking them to the (same) update page
    where they can update the page and submit it thus returning them to the (same
    as above) detail page with the new info.

    Here is the problem...I dont want anyone "fixing" other peoples data. I
    thought about adding a phone number box when they add a record to the db and do
    not use that field anywhere else. But when they go to update info they would
    be presented with a form that requested the 10 digit phone number so that it
    would be "more likely" that the author of the info would be the one updating
    the record. I have also thought about generating a "kind of password" that
    showed on the success page after entering the record the first time but I am
    not sure that people would recall that, if they needed it.

    Does anyone have any suggestions about this. A better way, a code etc.
    Thanks in advance!

    dlp1s Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Update Database

    If you create a Login for each user, you could use their ID number to identify
    their own records, use a Hidden field to grab their ID and include it with
    every record they add.

    Then when they come to update you can filter the records to only show those
    with their ID, and thus stop them updating anyone elses.

    Yo have not mentioned your server langauge, if it is ASP, I have some
    tutorials on how to do this.

    Originally posted by: dlp1s
[...]

    CarlGrint Guest

  3. #3

    Ok, bear with me here. BTW, I am using ASP VBScript. I know how to create a
    login page and you are saying that I should use the two digit "ID" that the
    database creates to log them in, correct. Example Below, is what the details
    page shows.
    ID: 24
    Coaches Name Darrin
    Team Name Wildcats
    City Cape Girardeau
    Email Address org
    Team Gender boys
    Team Age 12
    Access to a Court access
    Coaches Comments
    Scrimmage Gender Opp Teams yes
    So... anywhere on the pages that the public sees I need to omit the field
    showing the "ID"? When they sign up they answer these same questions as above
    except the ID of course. And when a user comes in search of a team to
    scrimmage the see this format if this is what matches their search criteria.

    ID AGE GENDER CITY TEAM NAME
    24 12 boys Cape Girardeau Wildcats

    They then click the "ID" number to advance to the details page that I listed
    above because I was not sure how to make the name field link them to the
    correct details page. So, if I am understand the ID thing here we use the db's
    generated ID for the changes/updates pages? How do I get the ID to them? What
    if they lose it? And on my results listing above can I make the name field
    link to the ID field so it knows to show the correct details page? This db
    does not care if there are several Darrin's who coach teams in Cape Girardeau,
    MO named Wildcats and honestly I dont want that restriction. So I could end up
    with repeat submissions but I dont think that will be too big of an issue, yet
    anyway.

    And while I have your attention, do you know where I can find a "pretty easy
    to add in bad language filter"? It doesnt have to be fool proof, for those
    inventive ppl out there, It is just this is site relevant to children and I
    would like to do my best to keep stuff like that out.

    dlp1s Guest

  4. #4

    You don't want to show the ID, nor use it to pass in the URL, as people could
    just guess other peoples details.

    What the best way to go is, to add to the Sessions that the Login creates (by
    default it makes a Session called MM_Username, which is the Username), so that
    their ID is a Session, and you filter the records on the page based on the
    Session ID.

    I have a tutorial which includes how to create this, you can view it over at
    my site http://www.cgw3.co.uk/tutorials/list.asp?MenuID=6&CategoryID=3

    Regarding Bad language, you could try using REPLACE to look for words in the
    comments and replace with *.

    Originally posted by: dlp1s

  5. #5

    **Which one these tutorials do I use?

    Build a Discussion board
    Build a Email to Multiple recipients system
    Building a website with Restricted Access: Part I
    Building a website with Restricted Access: Part II
    Create a Login page and Userdetails table
    Creating additional Sessions from Login page
    Dynamically redirect your Login page
    Form to Email (CDONTS)
    Form to Email (CDOSYS)
    Form to Email, with Confirm before Sending (CDOSYS)
    Insert form into Database and Email

    dlp1s Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you I am going to try that and a couple others on your site.

    I have one additional question for you. Do you have a tutorial that leads a
    person to be able to at a min build DW's drop down menu system as a sort of
    template? Librarys are not going to help I dont think becasue they dont carry
    over the necessary code and templates dont either. I was using frames to
    accomplish this but I hate those things.
    At max I woule be able to add some dynamic menu that would be on each page the
    same.

    I was going to try to do a layer but I fear that wont work either?

    Thank you for all your assistance.

    dlp1s Guest

  8. #8

    I have noted a number of entries on this forum which go through this, so I
    would suggest doing a Search, I think they suggest PVII a lot....

    Originally posted by: dlp1s

  9. #9

    I got the database in the tutorial to work and I haev a question about the
    datbase where the info for the scrimmage games are stored in relation to this
    database. dbScrimmageGames is the public database where the info is stored
    for coaches to be able to add and look up contact in their divisions that may
    want to scrimmage. dbUserLogin is the one from the tutorial. Where does the
    one that I created go in the line up of things. I want anyone to post, but
    only the author of the post to update the details of their post. I can link my
    "edit this info" to the login page and I can take away all the ID tags for
    dbScrimmage so the public cannot view them but I still not sure how the posting
    author gets the info into dbUserLogin so they will be able to login and edit
    thier post. dbScrimmage...and dbUser...have different Unique ID Keys that are
    assigned to them. Lets say they are taken to the login page and they do login
    in somehow, where will the code pull thiers and only their info from for
    updating. I dont want to even give them an opportunity to update another
    persons ID.

    Maybe it is as simple as merging the 2 db's but then I think that even a
    posting author who never wants to update info would have to have a login
    account. I dont know... I will wait to hear back.

    dlp1s Guest