Professional Web Applications Themes

update to kernel panics problem post below - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

i've just successfully ted this problem with kernel panics four times. this is how I did it: I restarted the computer and started indesign. after that was open, I opened acrobat. got a kernel panic. I did that three times. each time the same result. then I restarted and opened acrobat, not indesign. it opened fine. I restarted again and opened indesign and then acrobat. this time I got a spinning beach ball and the program wouldn't open. oh, I have a destop g5 with two gigs of ram if that helps. thanks again for any advice. jeff...

  1. #1

    Default update to kernel panics problem post below

    jeff_kisseloff@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: update to kernel panics problem post below

    Try removing each of the RAM chips in turn .... You might have some
    faulty memory which kicks in when more RAM is requested ...

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Did he say he had added the RAM?

    I bought my 17" Powerbook with 2 GB installed at the factory.

    Also, does this happen with any other combinations of applications?

    If not would tend to believe its a defect in the Adobe products?

    Also remember that a G5 is a 64 bit machine. and if Tiger was installed on that machine then all older program are running 32 bit, within a 64 bit system. I don't know whether there will be any problems.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    no, it generally doesn't happen with any other program, which leads me to believe it has something to do with acrobat and is not hardware related. Perhaps it's a problem with the plug-ins, although I've never installed anyway.

    I've add 1.5s since I bought the machine. I've checked out the chips with tech tools and similar programs, and they all check out ok. I wish I could remove individual chips, but they have to be removed in pairs.
    jeff_kisseloff@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Did you purchase them after Market?

    Or were they Apple installed.

    If they were apple installed that might eliminate the defective RAM though you might have factory defective EAM

    Maybe Tech Tool Pro might findout.

    I tend to agree with you its a problem with the adobe products.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    You should report it to Apple, as - no matter WHAT might be wrong with
    any Adobe products - it is a fault in Mac OS if it can be made to
    panic.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    The Mac OS(X) as now in Use is UNIX with The Quartz interface (Mac look and feel on top).

    Its not likely that it is Acrobat as I use on my PowerBook 17 1.67gb with no problems. And I have Tiger installed. of Course I have 2 Gb System RAM installed from the factory.

    If some type of underlying code. Kext files come to mind. (Code extensions). are written incorrectly they can cause Kernel panics.

    Apple publish the code standards and it up to application vendors to keep up. Its been fast a furious these last two or three years. I expect upgrading to be less and less as they get the code perfected. And Vendors will be able to keep up easier.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest