Professional Web Applications Themes

Updated on SATA drive problem - FreeBSD

Today I ran offline diagnostics against the SATA drive that I suspected of causing DMA errors and two system crashes. These offline diagnostics confirmed a problem with the drive and eliminated FreeBSD as a source of the problem. I replaced the drive and I'm watching to see if any of the mystery errors in FreeBSD return (at this point I don't expect them to, since it seems to have been a defective drive). It took a tremendously long time for me to figure out how to fix up the new drive for use. I'm still not sure what I finally ...

  1. #1

    Default Updated on SATA drive problem

    Today I ran offline diagnostics against the SATA drive that I suspected
    of causing DMA errors and two system crashes. These offline diagnostics
    confirmed a problem with the drive and eliminated FreeBSD as a source of
    the problem. I replaced the drive and I'm watching to see if any of the
    mystery errors in FreeBSD return (at this point I don't expect them to,
    since it seems to have been a defective drive).

    It took a tremendously long time for me to figure out how to fix up the
    new drive for use. I'm still not sure what I finally did that
    apparently was in the right order and formatted everything correctly.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Updated on SATA drive problem

    Anthony Atkielski wrote:

    That's good news - I'm glad to hear that you are progressing with your
    issues. Once you have these items under control - you ought to have a
    more enjoyable experiance with whatever OS you wish to use.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    Keep emotionally active,
    cater to your favorite neurosis.
    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    Chris writes:

    Now if I could just fine the problem FreeBSD has with my SCSI drives on
    my test machine. I noticed that the pages and pages of error messages I
    get sometimes when doing I/O to the disks are also generated even by
    something as simple as "smartctl -a" which presumably does not do any
    physical I/O to the platters. This would seem to rule out any hardware
    problems involving the media, actuators, etc.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  4. #4

    In the last episode (Mar 26), Anthony Atkielski said:

    > Now if I could just fine the problem FreeBSD has with my SCSI drives
    > on my test machine. I noticed that the pages and pages of error
    > messages I get sometimes when doing I/O to the disks are also
    > generated even by something as simple as "smartctl -a" which
    > presumably does not do any physical I/O to the platters. This would
    > seem to rule out any hardware problems involving the media,
    > actuators, etc.[/ref]

    smartctl sends raw SCSI requests to the disk, and I think a recent
    change in either smartmontools or the scsi code is ending up with the
    wrong timeout value, so the request times out immediately. This
    happens to me when I launch smartd on all my machines, but it's
    intermittent and doesn't seem to affect anything (I get periodic
    temerature notifications after that with no timeout errors). See PR
    misc/73833 .

    --
    Dan Nelson
    com