Professional Web Applications Themes

Updated Shockwave Player Installer Released Today - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi, Today, Macromedia released an updated installer for Shockwave Player 10.1. This change only affects U.S. Windows Internet Explorer users, who have the Yahoo! Toolbar already installed. No changes have been made to the Shockwave Player itself, only the installer has changed to include the following: ? The Shockwave Player installer will offer the WeatherBug desktop weather application to U.S. Windows Internet Explorer users who have the Yahoo! toolbar already installed. Those who do not wish to take advantage of WeatherBug can opt-out of the offer. Users will not receive more than one third-party offer during the Shockwave Player installation ...

  1. #1

    Default Updated Shockwave Player Installer Released Today

    Hi, Today, Macromedia released an updated installer for Shockwave Player 10.1.
    This change only affects U.S. Windows Internet Explorer users, who have the
    Yahoo! Toolbar already installed. No changes have been made to the Shockwave
    Player itself, only the installer has changed to include the following: ? The
    Shockwave Player installer will offer the WeatherBug desktop weather
    application to U.S. Windows Internet Explorer users who have the Yahoo! toolbar
    already installed. Those who do not wish to take advantage of WeatherBug can
    opt-out of the offer. Users will not receive more than one third-party offer
    during the Shockwave Player installation process. ? The Shockwave Player
    installer has been optimized to only download the bits needed for the user?s
    installation. For example, users who already have Yahoo! Toolbar will not
    download the toolbar installer component as part of the Shockwave Player
    installer. Partnerships, such as Yahoo! and WeatherBug, have been part of a
    larger effort to increase the visibility and resources dedicated to Shockwave
    Player. To recap some of the 2004 activities: ? We welcomed a new product
    manager to the product team to reinvigorate marketing attention and activities
    around Shockwave Player. ? Since June, we have seen an average of two Shockwave
    content sites per month selected as a Macromedia Site of the Day. We also
    published three new case studies, and created a special U.S. Presidential
    election-related content section on the player product page. ? An RFP was put
    out to the lists, inviting developers to submit proposals for U.S. Presidential
    election-themed content. Macromedia funded the development of ?Battle of the
    Bull,? by Chuck Neal (MediaMacros, Inc.) and Dean Utian (Multimedia Creative).
    The content was spotlighted on macromedia.com, as well as AtomShockwave?s ?Mock
    the Vote? election spotlight
    ([url]http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/battlebull[/url]). The game currently
    enjoys a 4 of 5 star rating. ? The team released version 10.1 of the player,
    which included several changes that benefit the developer community. The player
    download size was cut in half, which dramatically increased successful
    installations of the Shockwave Player. We also streamlined the player
    registration process by removing several dialogs, and we worked with
    shockwave.com to redesign and update the final installation confirmation
    window. ? Although it is less visible, the player download backend and
    reporting systems were updated resulting in an improved user experience. For
    example, all installer files and Xtras are now hosted by Speedera, increasing
    the quality of service of the player download and install experience for users
    around the world. Additionally, the updated reporting systems and more
    consistent monitoring allow us to catch and address issues quickly. Shockwave
    Player is an important part of the Macromedia product line, and we recognize
    that it is an important part of your business. In addition to the free player,
    Macromedia continues to offer various licensing options to fit the needs of its
    developers. Developers who wish to distribute the Shockwave Player over
    corporate or educational intranets, or with fixed media such as CD-ROMs,
    DVD-ROMs, or software applications, can visit the player licensing page at:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/shockwaveplayer/licensing/[/url]. The licensed
    player does not include any third-party offers, and is available free of
    charge. Macromedia also offers limited paid license options for custom
    installation experiences. If you are interested in discussing alternate
    installation experiences for your company or projects, please contact Emmy
    Huang directly (ehuangmacromedia.com).The link to the FAQ below provides more
    information about this release. [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/69bdec07[/url]
    Regards, Emmy Huang - Sr. Product Manager Tom Higgins - Technical Product
    Manager

    Thomas Higgins Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Tom !

    Very nice e-mail but can you explain how do you want to increase Shockwave
    content in case MM is unwilling to provide a clear and holistic
    doentation of Director MX2004 ???

    The following is still dissipated on several Internet resources, a few of
    them already gone:

    - "undoented lingo" - a collection of several important features never
    doented officially but taking into account usability of many
    'undoented' features - important for developers. Why not to doent
    'undomunented lingo' with restritiction MM does not guarantee further
    support?

    - Flash components - just look how many people try to implement Flash
    components in Director but the doentation is so poor it's hard to do
    anything. Components definitely require much better support from MM. It
    seems MM put a lot effort to implement and improve Flash castmember handling
    in Director but then concluded with poorly doented features, with no
    tutorials and explanations. Many Director developers are not ActionScript 2
    aware, so in case you want Director developers use Flash components you need
    to provide appropriate primer explaining how to use existing components in
    Director (mutual communication), how to modify them and how to write one's
    own Flash components. This is a broad topic, balancing between Flash and
    Director but definitely worth doentation. Why the hell every day there is
    a post on this newsgroup like "Does anybody know how to use Flash tree
    component in Director?".

    - In case you want to promote Director's 3D capabilities you should publish
    tutorials explaining streamlined process e.g.: from 3D Studio Max to
    Shockwave. Tutorials should include texturing techniques (multitexturing,
    light maps, baked textures, etc.), low-poly modeling with LOD and SSD
    attention (how to design models for LOD and SSD modifiers usage). I don't
    mean step-by step Max tutorial but rather "strategic overview" - how to plan
    the whole thing, so everything is light enough for network download and
    looks good enough to attract the audience. Anyway - the essential part is
    process streamlining - scene design in 3D application -> transfer of scene
    to Director -> programming. For the time being only the last step has some
    doentation. Steps (1) and (2) are completly abandoned. Anyway - to render
    a photorealistic Max scene with FinalRender is somehow different to low-poly
    game design with limited texturizing and lighting capabilities...

    Thank you,
    Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Thomas,

    Will there be any updates in shockwave3D engine?

    Thanks
    Ege
    shockland.com Guest

  4. #4

    for Ege and Ziggi : feel free to use the WeatherBug instead of the 3D engine.
    for Tom H and Emmy H : keep up this amazing work.
    cheers
    necromanthus Guest

  5. #5

    > for Ege and Ziggi : feel free to use the WeatherBug instead of the 3D engine.
    > for Tom H and Emmy H : keep up this amazing work.
    Keep up the constructive criticism there - you're doing a great job!!
    Sean Wilson Guest

  6. #6

    Originally posted by: Sean Wilson Keep up the constructive criticism there -
    you're doing a great job!! Sean, I promote their work since ... I can't
    remember. But from time to time it seems that they need some kicks (from
    director to director ... LOL) cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  7. #7

    > But from time to time it seems that they need some kicks

    I *heartily* agree. It's a question of style, I guess. I just feel like
    I'm more likely to gain traction if I can point out stupidity or
    nearsightedness and offer solutions rather than simply raging against
    the machine.
    Sean Wilson Guest

  8. #8

    'stupidity or nearsightedness' can't be their qualities (LOL). Talking about
    'raging against the machine' : they're reading many of this topics (be sure of
    that). Also, 'raging against their possible customers' sounds better ... LOL
    cheers Originally posted by: Sean Wilson I just feel like I'm more likely to