Professional Web Applications Themes

Updating a text field in SQL Server 2000 - ASP Database

I am trying to write some code that inserts or updates a text field in my SQL Server 2000 database. The SQL statement is created using a submit from a form, and the text is coming from a <textarea>, and therefore being placed into the SQL statement via a Request("field"). However, due to limitations in SQL Server 2000 and text fields, I can not use a simple Update or Insert command with text over 8000 bytes. Does anybody have any sample statements that will help me update that field with larger amounts of data? I have tried using the WRITETEXT ...

  1. #1

    Default Updating a text field in SQL Server 2000

    I am trying to write some code that inserts or updates a text field in my
    SQL Server 2000 database. The SQL statement is created using a submit from
    a form, and the text is coming from a <textarea>, and therefore being placed
    into the SQL statement via a Request("field"). However, due to limitations
    in SQL Server 2000 and text fields, I can not use a simple Update or Insert
    command with text over 8000 bytes.

    Does anybody have any sample statements that will help me update that field
    with larger amounts of data? I have tried using the WRITETEXT function and
    UPDATETEXT function with little or no success. Help!!

    Michael Walton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Updating a text field in SQL Server 2000

    How many groups did you post this to?

    "Michael Walton" <mwaltonthomasassociates.cc> wrote in message
    > I am trying to write some code that inserts or updates a text field in my
    > SQL Server 2000 database. The SQL statement is created using a submit
    from
    > a form, and the text is coming from a <textarea>, and therefore being
    placed
    > into the SQL statement via a Request("field"). However, due to
    limitations
    > in SQL Server 2000 and text fields, I can not use a simple Update or
    Insert
    > command with text over 8000 bytes.
    >
    > Does anybody have any sample statements that will help me update that
    field
    > with larger amounts of data? I have tried using the WRITETEXT function
    and
    > UPDATETEXT function with little or no success. Help!!

    Foo Man Chew Guest

  3. #3

    this one and a SQL Server group. Why? Is there a limit or minimum to get
    an answer? ;-)

  4. #4

    > this one and a SQL Server group. Why? Is there a limit or minimum to get
    > an answer? ;-)
    And you may have forgotten asp.general, and who knows how many groups I
    haven't been in.

    Anyone who reads more than one of the groups you posted to will consider
    your tactic rude.

    You hit all three groups that I subscribe to, and therefore I have answered
    in one only to find that other people have answered in others, and we're all
    working independently on various (but unique) pieces of information they've
    managed to squeeze out of you. What a waste of time and effort. :-(

    Foo Man Chew Guest

  5. #5

  6. #6

    Makes sense, but in a case like this where I don't know if the problem I am
    having is ASP-based or SQL-based, then I need to post to more than one.
    Know what I mean?

  7. #7

    Michael Walton wrote:
    > Makes sense, but in a case like this where I don't know if the
    > problem I am having is ASP-based or SQL-based, then I need to post to
    > more than one. Know what I mean?

    There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate,
    and you will want to post a question to both groups. In that situation, you
    should use the cross-posting technique, rather than posting the same message
    multiple times (multiposting). To crosspost, put a semicolon-delimited* list
    of the
    newsgroups to which you wish to post in the To: header of your post and post
    it once. It, and any replies to it, will appear in all the newsgroups in
    your list. So, if I reply in .asp.general, my reply will also appear here in
    ..asp.db.

    * ... or whatever delimiter is recognized by your news client

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows Guest

  8. #8

    Whoa, careful, sounds like common sense...

    "Bob Barrows" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > Michael Walton wrote:
    > > Makes sense, but in a case like this where I don't know if the
    > > problem I am having is ASP-based or SQL-based, then I need to post to
    > > more than one. Know what I mean?
    > >

    > There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate,
    > and you will want to post a question to both groups. In that situation,
    you
    > should use the cross-posting technique, rather than posting the same
    message
    > multiple times (multiposting). To crosspost, put a semicolon-delimited*
    list
    > of the
    > newsgroups to which you wish to post in the To: header of your post and
    post
    > it once. It, and any replies to it, will appear in all the newsgroups in
    > your list. So, if I reply in .asp.general, my reply will also appear here
    in
    > .asp.db.
    >
    > * ... or whatever delimiter is recognized by your news client
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Foo Man Chew Guest

  9. #9

    Sorry about that. I am new to posting to these groups. I normally just
    search them using Google.

    "Bob Barrows" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > Michael Walton wrote:
    > > Makes sense, but in a case like this where I don't know if the
    > > problem I am having is ASP-based or SQL-based, then I need to post to
    > > more than one. Know what I mean?
    > >

    > There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate,
    > and you will want to post a question to both groups. In that situation,
    you
    > should use the cross-posting technique, rather than posting the same
    message
    > multiple times (multiposting). To crosspost, put a semicolon-delimited*
    list
    > of the
    > newsgroups to which you wish to post in the To: header of your post and
    post
    > it once. It, and any replies to it, will appear in all the newsgroups in
    > your list. So, if I reply in .asp.general, my reply will also appear here
    in
    > .asp.db.
    >
    > * ... or whatever delimiter is recognized by your news client
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Michael Walton Guest

  10. #10

    You were probably never new at this, were you? ;-)

    > Whoa, careful, sounds like common sense...
    >

    > "Bob Barrows" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > > Michael Walton wrote:
    > > > Makes sense, but in a case like this where I don't know if the
    > > > problem I am having is ASP-based or SQL-based, then I need to post to
    > > > more than one. Know what I mean?
    > > >

    > > There are times when you will not be sure which group is most
    appropriate,
    > > and you will want to post a question to both groups. In that situation,
    > you
    > > should use the cross-posting technique, rather than posting the same
    > message
    > > multiple times (multiposting). To crosspost, put a semicolon-delimited*
    > list
    > > of the
    > > newsgroups to which you wish to post in the To: header of your post and
    > post
    > > it once. It, and any replies to it, will appear in all the newsgroups in
    > > your list. So, if I reply in .asp.general, my reply will also appear
    here
    > in
    > > .asp.db.
    > >
    > > * ... or whatever delimiter is recognized by your news client
    > >
    > > Bob Barrows
    > >
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
    > > header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
    > > quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.

    Michael Walton Guest