Professional Web Applications Themes

upgrade for ** SE ** - Mac Applications & Software

I want to upgrade an SE from 7.0 to 7.1 -- all I can find online are 1.44MB floppy images and, naturally, this machine can only read 800KB. The official Apple guide says you can even run 7.5.3 on this box, so it isn't like I'm on the last known good rev of the OS. So, how does one proceed? Am I just not searching diligently enough? Someone want to send me some images? Is this an insane thing to be doing (well, it is, but my real aim is to gloat after I get home automation controlled by, of ...

  1. #1

    Default upgrade for ** SE **

    I want to upgrade an SE from 7.0 to 7.1 -- all I can find
    online are 1.44MB floppy images and, naturally, this machine
    can only read 800KB. The official Apple guide says you can
    even run 7.5.3 on this box, so it isn't like I'm on the
    last known good rev of the OS.

    So, how does one proceed? Am I just not searching diligently
    enough? Someone want to send me some images? Is this an
    insane thing to be doing (well, it is, but my real aim is
    to gloat after I get home automation controlled by, of all
    things, an SE).

    Advice, etc., welcome and sought.

    --dan

    Dan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: upgrade for ** SE **

    com (Dan Geer) writes:

    I run 7.5.5 on my SE. It works OK as long as you have the full 4M of
    RAM installed.

    As for getting the installer to work, it depends on what kinds of
    drives you have.

    Later model SEs have 1.44M floppy drives, and there was at one time
    an upgrade package (involving new drives and new ROMs). But I'm sure
    Apple doesn't sell them anymore.

    If your hard drive is big enough, you can download the 1.44M image
    files, then mount them (using Disk Copy - which you can download from
    Apple), and run the installer from the mounted images. This actually
    works.

    If you have a SCSI CD-ROM drive on the SE, and access to another Mac
    with a CD burner, you can make a bootable CD with a folder that
    contains the contents of all the disk images. Boot the CD on your SE
    and run the installer from there.

    If you have a SCSI zip drive, you can make a bootable Zip disk
    containing the install files and install from there.

    As for this being an insane thing to try - it probably is, but it
    didn't stop me. System 7 is definitely slower than 6 on an SE, but
    certain features (like TCP/IP networking) are much easier to get up
    and running.

    (Yes, you can run TCP/IP on an SE, if you have an Ethernet interface.
    I have an Asante MacCon SE card in mine. I've also seen SCSI-based
    Ethernet interfaces that work with an SE.)

    Good luck.

    -- David
    David Guest

  3. #3

    >If you have a SCSI CD-ROM drive on the SE, and access to another Mac

    My guess is that with this machine LocalTalk is the only way to access other
    Macs out of the box. My other guess is that new World Macs do not ship with
    Localtalk ports, so this user will need to purchase an Ethernet to Localtalk
    adaptor for the new world, or an localtalk to ethernet adaptor (if you can
    still find one for the serial port) which would in my mind defeat the purpose,
    since he'd be spending more money on an older machine, when he can hit Ebay and
    purchase a 6360 or another such machine for the same cost.

    The 6360 has 1 PCI slot which he can add USB/Firewire combo cards, a COMII slot
    where he could install a 100 Base T Ethernet card, a L2 cache slot, where he
    can buy a 500mhz G3 CPU, and the like.

    If I were him I'd go that route over getting an old SE to connect to a Mac with
    a CD burner. And whatever he's using the SE for can be done with the 6360 or
    another such Mac. If what he's doing requires a native serial port automation?
    New World Macs are not the answer, since not all hardware will work on a USB
    to serial or PCI serial adaptor.
    Leo Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:03:15 -0500, Leo wrote
    (in message <aol.com>):

    > My guess is that with this machine LocalTalk is the only way to access other
    > Macs out of the box. My other guess is that new World Macs do not ship with
    > Localtalk ports, so this user will need to purchase an Ethernet to Localtalk
    > adaptor for the new world, or an localtalk to ethernet adaptor (if you can
    > still find one for the serial port) which would in my mind defeat the
    > purpose,
    > since he'd be spending more money on an older machine, when he can hit Ebay
    > and
    > purchase a 6360 or another such machine for the same cost.
    >
    > The 6360 has 1 PCI slot which he can add USB/Firewire combo cards, a COMII
    > slot
    > where he could install a 100 Base T Ethernet card, a L2 cache slot, where he
    > can buy a 500mhz G3 CPU, and the like.
    >
    > If I were him I'd go that route over getting an old SE to connect to a Mac
    > with
    > a CD burner. And whatever he's using the SE for can be done with the 6360 or
    > another such Mac. If what he's doing requires a native serial port
    > automation?
    > New World Macs are not the answer, since not all hardware will work on a USB
    > to serial or PCI serial adaptor.[/ref]

    you're an idiot, Diaper Boy. As the post to which you're replying states
    quite clearly (_before_ you trimmed it...):

    "If your hard drive is big enough, you can download the 1.44M image
    files, then mount them (using Disk Copy - which you can download from
    Apple), and run the installer from the mounted images. This actually
    works."

    He doesn't need to buy a damn thing, so long as he has sufficient disk space
    to hold the required files. And if he doesn't have the disk space, well...

    1 he really shouldn't be trying to upgrade the machine

    2 if he _does_ want to upgrade, getting a larger disk would certainly be
    cheaper than doing any of the nonsene you suggest.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

    Charles Guest

  5. #5

    Dan Geer <com> wrote:

    Actually, you can't find any legal copies of 7.1 online at all, as Apple
    never made System 7.1 available for free download.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest