Professional Web Applications Themes

Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro - Photography

[email]dscheffoldaol.com[/email] (DScheffold) writes: > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few > concerns. Listened too much to Microsoft "upgrade to XP Pro" commercial? :-) It is interesting that their message there is that everything else is "not good (enough)". As if most of the people won't be upgrading from an MS OS. > I am > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the sticky > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that both > operate off of an ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

    [email]dscheffoldaol.com[/email] (DScheffold) writes:
    > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few
    > concerns.
    Listened too much to Microsoft "upgrade to XP Pro" commercial? :-) It is
    interesting that their message there is that everything else is "not good
    (enough)". As if most of the people won't be upgrading from an MS OS.

    > I am
    > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the sticky
    > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that both
    > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time installing
    > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I install
    > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded with
    > similar conditions?
    I know that XP has dropped a lot of (obsolete?) hardware support so if your
    SCSI controller is one of these, you better stick with 98SE. You have to
    tell us which Adaptec SCSI controller that is (they make/made a lot of
    different models) or find for yourself if that one is still
    supported. Check if the drivers are available for your scanners.

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic Guest

  2. #2

    WE went to Win 2000 Pro and XP with the 4000 scanner and neither worked.
    You should have concerns, It doesn't like either and Nikon support in this
    issue is a closed door.
    Finally we split the system loaded another machine with Win 98, some fast
    drives and lots of ram, only the scanner and photoshop, runs like a jewel.

    "DScheffold" <dscheffoldaol.com> wrote in message
    > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few concerns.
    I am
    > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the
    sticky
    > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that
    both
    > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time
    installing
    > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I
    install
    > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded
    with
    > similar conditions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    ajacobs2 Guest

  3. #3

    "DScheffold" <dscheffoldaol.com> wrote in message
    > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few concerns.
    I am
    > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the
    sticky
    > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that
    both
    > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time
    installing
    > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I
    install
    > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded
    with
    > similar conditions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don
    Only upgrade if your motherboard and devices connected to it will have
    drivers for XP. Otherwise you will be sitting in cold water after the
    upgrade.

    Matt

    Matt Guest

  4. #4

    "Matt" <mkrebillstudent.lssu.edu> wrote in message

    > "DScheffold" <dscheffoldaol.com> wrote in message
    > > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few
    concerns.
    > I am
    > > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the
    > sticky
    > > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that
    > both
    > > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time
    > installing
    > > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I
    > install
    > > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded
    > with
    > > similar conditions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Don
    >
    > Only upgrade if your motherboard and devices connected to it will have
    > drivers for XP. Otherwise you will be sitting in cold water after the
    > upgrade.
    >
    > Matt

    I had a similar problem with upgrading from Win98SE to XP using a Canoscan
    600 flatbed that operated via an Adaptec SCSI card.
    I could get a driver for the Adaptec card to work okay under XP and
    downloaded the Twain driver for the scanner from the Canon site which
    claimed it was for 2000 / XP (XP said it wasn't a XP verified driver - but
    that is commonplace).
    After install and a bit of stuffing around XP would recognise the SCSI card
    and the Twain driver but the Canon ScanCraft program would not operate under
    XP even with all the updates and patches installed.

    In the end I resinstalled Win98SE on the PC, installed a network card, built
    a new kick- Pentium 4 PC with all the fruit, installed XP Pro on it and
    networked the two machines. In reality it was the most economical solution
    considering the initial cost of the scanner and the film adapter unit I had
    purchased for it.

    This problem of no updated drivers, incompatible programs and hardware that
    becomes obsolete witin months of reaching the marketplace is indemic in the
    IT world. Sometimes I often question the real value of buying upmarket high
    priced peripherals unless you are going to work the off them in a very
    short space of time so you actually get value for money.

    My 2c worth.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Rutlidge Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Randall Ainsworth Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    JPS@no.komm Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    "Alan Rutlidge" <rutlidge*nO-sPaM*mail.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    news:3f0e2773$0$23102$5a62ac22freenews.iinet.net. au...
    > This problem of no updated drivers, incompatible programs and hardware
    that
    > becomes obsolete witin months of reaching the marketplace is indemic in
    the
    > IT world. Sometimes I often question the real value of buying upmarket
    high
    > priced peripherals unless you are going to work the off them in a
    very
    > short space of time so you actually get value for money.
    >
    > My 2c worth.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan
    I believe you nailed the lid on the coffin. Right on. Peripherals don't last
    that long however if I could make one final statement. If you have been
    using the peripherals ever since NT4 came out then you might have a better
    chance of getting them to work under XP than 9X. I said "might"... : )

    Matt

    Matt Guest

  8. #8

    all snipped

    DON'T DO IT!! RUN AWAY... RUN AWAY... YOU'LL REGRET IT IF YOU DO.
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

  9. #9

    "DScheffold" <dscheffoldaol.com> wrote in message
    > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few concerns.
    I am
    > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the
    sticky
    > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that
    both
    > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time
    installing
    > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I
    install
    > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded
    with
    > similar conditions?
    Update your various drivers and BIOS to the latest (XP compatible if
    available) versions. Uninstall virus scanners and such. Upgrading from WinME
    to XP Pro went smooth for me. Some drivers were automatically replaced by
    WHQL approved versions.

    Get the latest ASPI layers from Adaptec:
    [url]http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70[/url]

    The ASPI Layers are needed for the LS2000, so you must add them after
    upgrading to XP.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf Guest

  10. #10

    >From: [email]dscheffoldaol.com[/email] (DScheffold)
    >I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few
    Do not upgrade to xp pro but to xp home editon-pro sets a new record for freeze
    ups and incompatability. When I upgraded my old computer to pro i made a wise
    decision--i kept 98 and thus had a choice of os's--thank god-that saved my
    butt.
    Frankhartx Guest

  11. #11

    Frank,

    Your experience is contrary to the rest of the world. XP Pro is quite
    reliable and running well on literally millions of machines. Large companies
    choose it because of its reliability.

    Personally, I could go straight to Pro, not Home. Why limit yourself.

    Tom
    "Frankhartx" <frankhartxcs.com> wrote in message
    > >From: [email]dscheffoldaol.com[/email] (DScheffold)
    >
    > >I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few
    >
    > Do not upgrade to xp pro but to xp home editon-pro sets a new record for
    freeze
    > ups and incompatability. When I upgraded my old computer to pro i made a
    wise
    > decision--i kept 98 and thus had a choice of os's--thank god-that saved my
    > butt.

    Tom Scales Guest

  12. #12

    > Your experience is contrary to the rest of the world. XP Pro is quite
    > reliable and running well on literally millions of machines. Large companies
    > choose it because of its reliability.
    >
    > Personally, I could go straight to Pro, not Home. Why limit yourself.
    Why pay the extra bucks if you're not going to connect to a domain or
    use any of the other "special" features of Pro? And to upgrade over
    the top of 98 is asking for trouble.
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  13. #13

    Frankhartx wrote:
    >>From: [email]dscheffoldaol.com[/email] (DScheffold)
    >

    >>I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few
    >

    > Do not upgrade to xp pro but to xp home editon-pro sets a new record for freeze
    > ups and incompatability. When I upgraded my old computer to pro i made a wise
    > decision--i kept 98 and thus had a choice of os's--thank god-that saved my
    > butt.
    Interesting, since WinXP Home and Pro are the SAME, except for addition
    of some networking modules and a utility to control security settings.

    Ron Hunter Guest

  14. #14

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >>Your experience is contrary to the rest of the world. XP Pro is quite
    >>reliable and running well on literally millions of machines. Large companies
    >>choose it because of its reliability.
    >>
    >>Personally, I could go straight to Pro, not Home. Why limit yourself.
    >

    > Why pay the extra bucks if you're not going to connect to a domain or
    > use any of the other "special" features of Pro? And to upgrade over
    > the top of 98 is asking for trouble.
    THAT is why I suspect many people have trouble with XP.

    Ron Hunter Guest

  15. #15

    > THAT is why I suspect many people have trouble with XP.

    Any time you put one version of an operating system on top of another,
    PC or Mac, you're asking for trouble. Especially when making a
    generational jump from 98 to XP. You just inherit whatever problems
    you might already have (and not know it).
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  16. #16

    > I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
    > WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
    > it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
    > ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
    > might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
    > does not have XP drivers.
    Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
    Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right. :-)
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  17. #17

    >rom: Randall Ainsworth [email]ragnospam.techline.com[/email]
    >Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    >Any time you put one version of an operating system on top of another,
    >PC or Mac, you're asking for trouble. Especially when making a
    >generational jump from 98 to XP. You just inherit whatever problems
    >you might already have (and not know it).
    Not on top but side by side. The two can coexist quite nicely as seperate and
    distinct choices xp pro would simply not work with my printer but I could
    switch over to 98 and have no problem, xphome worked with the printer from the
    get go. Takes up some disk space but i think it's a good idea to have another
    os available if needed
    Frankhartx Guest

  18. #18

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > > I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
    > > WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
    > > it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
    > > ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
    > > might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
    > > does not have XP drivers.
    >
    > Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
    > Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right. :-)
    Which two keystrokes?
    --
    Abrasha
    [url]http://www.abrasha.com[/url]

  19. #19

    > >rom: Randall Ainsworth [email]ragnospam.techline.com[/email]
    > >Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    >
    > >Any time you put one version of an operating system on top of another,
    > >PC or Mac, you're asking for trouble. Especially when making a
    > >generational jump from 98 to XP. You just inherit whatever problems
    > >you might already have (and not know it).
    >
    > Not on top but side by side. The two can coexist quite nicely as seperate
    and
    > distinct choices xp pro would simply not work with my printer but I could
    > switch over to 98 and have no problem, xphome worked with the printer from
    the
    > get go. Takes up some disk space but i think it's a good idea to have
    another
    > os available if needed
    Ummm, XP Home and XP Pro are essentially the same OS and use the exact same
    drivers, so if Home worked with your printer, Pro will too.

    ---JRE---

    NoOneYouKnow Guest

  20. #20

    Now that's just BS.

    XP is vastly superior. It's not even close
    "Randall Ainsworth" <ragnospam.techline.com> wrote in message
    > > I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
    > > WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
    > > it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
    > > ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
    > > might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
    > > does not have XP drivers.
    >
    > Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
    > Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right. :-)

    Tom Scales Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast