Professional Web Applications Themes

upgrade to MX? - Macromedia Freehand

:confused; Hello all, After upgrading to FH9 a few years ago I was so frustrated with all the bugs and with Marcomedia that I stopped reading the newsgroup and purchased a copy of Illustrator. I am now coming back to see if some of the old issues have been fixed. I would like to get an honest opinions on whether it is worth my $ to upgrade my old version of macromedia to the MX version. I use FH mainly for printed materials and I am still using the FH8 version because it semm to work better for pirnts. Thank ...

  1. #1

    Default upgrade to MX?

    :confused;
    Hello all,
    After upgrading to FH9 a few years ago I was so frustrated with all the bugs
    and with Marcomedia that I stopped reading the newsgroup and purchased a copy
    of Illustrator. I am now coming back to see if some of the old issues have been
    fixed. I would like to get an honest opinions on whether it is worth my $ to
    upgrade my old version of macromedia to the MX version. I use FH mainly for
    printed materials and I am still using the FH8 version because it semm to work
    better for pirnts.
    Thank you for your thoughts on this.
    Mariana

    Davi18 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: upgrade to MX?

    Download the trial version and you be the judge.
    davecc Guest

  3. #3

    davecc wrote:

    I agree with Dave, but unfortunately, FHMX is no longer available in a
    stand-alone trial version.

    http://www.macromedia.com/special/trials/?product=freehand

    A FreeHand trial is still available as part of the Studio MX 2004 trial.

    http://www.macromedia.com/downloads/

    I _hope_ the reason for the lack of a FHMX trial is to prevent potential
    conflicts with other Macromedia products. The other possible reason ...
    well, I don't even want to go there.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    Why not? Personally, I think it's inevitable.

    --
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    remove "_nospam_" to send email

    Ian Kelleigh
    net

    "The FreeHand Source"
    http://www.FreeHandSource.com
    Ian Guest

  5. #5

    I was able to buy Freehand MX 7 months ago - then make the upgrade to suite.
    It's a shame even to think that Macromedia would drop Freehand - BUT with
    conversion problems from Illust to Freehand - and both products moving her
    apart - Freehand actually becomes just a vector program in a particular suite
    for the WEB ONLY. Adobe for myself has always been about Print media. The
    only Adobe friendly program for Macromedia suite I feel is Photoshop. The
    others are middle ground programs in Corel, Painter, Paint Shop Pro. I found
    Corel shaking hands with Freehand quite well. I noted in a new subject some of
    the differences between Macromedi and Adobe But my answer to Dave - Go For
    It. If you buy the suite you get the best optimizer, and web production
    program on the planet. Billw

    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    What about InDesign? How does it compare to FH?
    Davi18 Guest

  7. #7

    Two different kinds of programs Mariana - InDesignCS is amazing for print; I
    would call it a hybird of Illustrator and Pagemaker - I like you have enjoyed
    Freehand much more over the years - perhaps the question now is - what programs
    are friendly to Fireworks if your doing web. Freehand can do a lot of what
    InDesign can do - but remember your clientelle. InDesign is specifically for
    print - what I like about InDesign CS is a lot of In Design files can be opened
    by Macromedia products. Haven't tried in Freehand MX though. Unfortunately I
    would have to say that InDesignCS is the product that can do you the most good.
    Bill

    Bill Guest

  8. #8

    Davi18 wrote:

    InDesign is a page layout program with some drawing features, Freehand
    is a drawing program with some great page layout features.

    I love InDesign and will advocate it with the same passion I used to
    have for Freehand. In the last few months, most of the projects I would
    have previously produced entirely within Freehand (except for raster
    image work done in Photoshop), I have been putting together with
    InDesign. But we still need a proper drawing program, and I still much
    prefer working in Freehand, with all its flaws, to Illustrator. For
    instance, I can't imagine trying to work on a new logo in AI like I do
    in FH, where its unique page behaviour lets me have many concepts and
    permutations of each concept spread across the pasteboard.

    --

    Danny
    Danny Guest