Professional Web Applications Themes

Upgrade to MySQL 5.n ? - MySQL

I recently installed MySQL 3.23 because it was included with my linux distribution. HTen i went to mysq.com and found that it is highly recommended to upgrade to version 5.n. According to what I am going to do, is it really _necessary_ to upgrade? I know that there is no support for older versions but I am not going to use any of advanced features in version 5.n, at least for the moment ( Ihave read about features like an alternative to ISAM, foreign keys, stored procedures, ....). Would you recommend to upgrade? Is it convenient to upgrade only to ...

  1. #1

    Default Upgrade to MySQL 5.n ?

    I recently installed MySQL 3.23 because it was included with my linux
    distribution. HTen i went to mysq.com and found that it is highly
    recommended to upgrade to version 5.n. According to what I am going to
    do, is it really _necessary_ to upgrade? I know that there is no
    support for older versions but I am not going to use any of advanced
    features in version 5.n, at least for the moment ( Ihave read about
    features like an alternative to ISAM, foreign keys, stored procedures,
    ....). Would you recommend to upgrade? Is it convenient to upgrade only
    to version 4.n? I am more interested in a FAST database than in a
    FEATUREFULL database.

    Thanks for your advise.

    Marco

    Marco A. Cruz Quevedo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Upgrade to MySQL 5.n ?

    Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:
    > Would you recommend to upgrade? Is it convenient to upgrade only
    > to version 4.n? I am more interested in a FAST database than in a
    > FEATUREFULL database.
    There are some performance improvements in 5.0, but nothing
    earth-shattering.

    Performance in any database system is highly dependent on the way you
    use the database, as well as the technology itself. Just as with a
    programming language like Java, C++, or PHP: you can write code that is
    better or code that is worse. You have to learn good ways to implement
    databases and write queries. See
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/optimization.html[/url] and also there
    are good books:
    "High Performance MySQL" by Zawodny & Balling,
    "SQL Performance Tuning" by Gulutzan & Pelzer.

    I would recommend upgrading to MySQL 4.1 at least. Earlier versions do
    not support subqueries, which are very useful. There are also a bunch
    of other features that were introduced in 4.1 (like character sets, and
    the stronger password encryption). Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 would be
    in some ways more troublesome than upgrading from 4.1 to 5.0. So I'd
    recommend starting your project using at least version 4.1.

    If you use MySQL 4.1 or higher with PHP 4, be aware of the password
    compatibility issue. You have to run the MySQL Server with the
    "old-passwords" option. See
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/old-client.html[/url]
    Or you can use PHP 5, which is compatible with the new password
    algorithm in MySQL 4.1 and later.

    The foreign key support you mention is crucial for designing databases
    with referential integrity. It is supported in the InnoDB storage
    engine, which is available in all versions of MySQL.

    I rarely use most of the features that are promoted as the main
    enhancements in MySQL 5, like triggers and stored procedures.

    Regards,
    Bill K.
    Bill Karwin Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Bill,

    Thank you for your hints, and I am going to update to MySQL 4.1 as soon
    as possible. Also, I am going to check the links you suggested.

    Regards

    Marco

    ----------------------
    Freedom is not a permission for chaos.

    Bill Karwin wrote:
    > Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:
    > > Would you recommend to upgrade? Is it convenient to upgrade only
    > > to version 4.n? I am more interested in a FAST database than in a
    > > FEATUREFULL database.
    >
    > There are some performance improvements in 5.0, but nothing
    > earth-shattering.
    >
    > Performance in any database system is highly dependent on the way you
    > use the database, as well as the technology itself. Just as with a
    > programming language like Java, C++, or PHP: you can write code that is
    > better or code that is worse. You have to learn good ways to implement
    > databases and write queries. See
    > [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/optimization.html[/url] and also there
    > are good books:
    > "High Performance MySQL" by Zawodny & Balling,
    > "SQL Performance Tuning" by Gulutzan & Pelzer.
    >
    > I would recommend upgrading to MySQL 4.1 at least. Earlier versions do
    > not support subqueries, which are very useful. There are also a bunch
    > of other features that were introduced in 4.1 (like character sets, and
    > the stronger password encryption). Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 would be
    > in some ways more troublesome than upgrading from 4.1 to 5.0. So I'd
    > recommend starting your project using at least version 4.1.
    >
    > If you use MySQL 4.1 or higher with PHP 4, be aware of the password
    > compatibility issue. You have to run the MySQL Server with the
    > "old-passwords" option. See
    > [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/old-client.html[/url]
    > Or you can use PHP 5, which is compatible with the new password
    > algorithm in MySQL 4.1 and later.
    >
    > The foreign key support you mention is crucial for designing databases
    > with referential integrity. It is supported in the InnoDB storage
    > engine, which is available in all versions of MySQL.
    >
    > I rarely use most of the features that are promoted as the main
    > enhancements in MySQL 5, like triggers and stored procedures.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill K.
    Marco A. Cruz Quevedo Guest