Professional Web Applications Themes

Upgrade Workgroup User to Domain User - Windows Server

I have installed Windows 2003 Server on a new machine and made it a Domain Controller. My network used to be Workgroup based. On WinXP and Win2K machines is there any way to upgrade the old Workgroup user accounts to Domain user accounts? Lardy....

  1. #1

    Default Upgrade Workgroup User to Domain User

    I have installed Windows 2003 Server on a new machine and made it a Domain
    Controller. My network used to be Workgroup based. On WinXP and Win2K
    machines is there any way to upgrade the old Workgroup user accounts to
    Domain user accounts?

    Lardy.

    Lardy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Upgrade Workgroup User to Domain User

    Not that I know of - how many users are we talking about here?

    Lardy wrote:
    > I have installed Windows 2003 Server on a new machine and made it a
    > Domain Controller. My network used to be Workgroup based. On WinXP
    > and Win2K machines is there any way to upgrade the old Workgroup user
    > accounts to Domain user accounts?
    >
    > Lardy.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] Guest

  3. #3

    Only three. At the moment I have set up Domain accounts for all three users
    with passwords that don't expire. On the Client computers (2 x Desktop, 1 x
    Laptop), I have changed the password for the local computer account to the
    same as the Domain account password (username the same also). This gives me
    access to shares on the server.

    Lardy.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <lanwenchheybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.aty ahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Not that I know of - how many users are we talking about here?
    >
    > Lardy wrote:
    > > I have installed Windows 2003 Server on a new machine and made it a
    > > Domain Controller. My network used to be Workgroup based. On WinXP
    > > and Win2K machines is there any way to upgrade the old Workgroup user
    > > accounts to Domain user accounts?
    > >
    > > Lardy.

    Lardy Guest

  4. #4

    For three users, just create their AD accounts manually. You can attempt to
    copy their local profiles to their domain profiles after they've logged in
    once to the domain & created the new domain profile - log in as an
    administrator, go to control panel, system, advanced, user profiles,
    settings -and try to copy from the local to the domain profile...

    If you have problems copying profiles (which I usually do) you can just copy
    the data manually into the new profile.

  5. #5

    Thanks Lanwench for your suggestion.

    > For three users, just create their AD accounts manually. You can attempt
    > copy their local profiles to their domain profiles after they've logged in
    > once to the domain & created the new domain profile - log in as an
    > administrator, go to control panel, system, advanced, user profiles,
    > settings -and try to copy from the local to the domain profile...
    >
    > If you have problems copying profiles (which I usually do) you can just
    copy
    > the data manually into the new profile.
    >
    > Lardy wrote:
    > > Only three. At the moment I have set up Domain accounts for all
    > > three users with passwords that don't expire. On the Client
    > > computers (2 x Desktop, 1 x Laptop), I have changed the password for
    > > the local computer account to the same as the Domain account password
    > > (username the same also). This gives me access to shares on the
    > > server.
    > >
    > > Lardy.
    > >

    > > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > > <lanwenchheybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.aty ahoo.com> wrote in
    > > message news:euxQK%23eXEHA.2908TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > >> Not that I know of - how many users are we talking about here?

    Lardy Guest

  6. #6

    Most welcome - hope it helps.