Professional Web Applications Themes

Upgrading 10.1 to 10.2 - Mac Applications & Software

I have an eMac that came with 10.1.4 and I'm planning to upgrade it to 10.2 soon. OS9.2.2 is also installed and this machine is bootable in OS9. I have two questions that I wasn't able to find the answers to on Apple's site. 1) Do I need to upgrade the 10.1.4 version to its last iteration (10.1.5??) before jumping to 10.2? 2) How will the OSX upgrade affect OS9, if at all? I don't want to lose the ability to boot in OS9, at least for the present. -- ca...

  1. #1

    Default Upgrading 10.1 to 10.2

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Upgrading 10.1 to 10.2

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    Thanks for this information. The eMac has 9.2.2 and I've been using
    that since I got it a year ago. I began cautiously wading into OSX on my
    iBook and I liked it so much that I've decided to make the jump on both
    machines. But I wanted to make sure I could still boot into 9 until I'm
    sure I can upgrade all the software and peripherals.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  3. #3

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    No, not at all.

    There shouldn't be any effect. To be safe, you should of course
    back up your hard drive (at least the files you created) before
    doing any upgrade.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  4. #4

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > No. 10.2 can be installed over any previous version, or even if OS X
    > had never been installed.

    > It won't have any effect, but it would be best to upgrade to 9.2.2 if
    > you haven't yet. The ability to boot in OS 9 is strictly a hardware
    > issue--if the model was introduced before this year, you can boot into
    > OS 9. If it was introduced this year, you probably can't.
    >
    > --Michelle[/ref]

    Where did you find this info, Michelle? I got a 1GHz SuperDrive eMac
    this July, and I could find nothing in the supplied docs or on the Apple
    website that described which systems could be set up to dual boot. I was
    hoping to be able to do this, but I certainly need to know whether it is
    a workable option before I wipe the hard drive and start over.

    Ramon

    --
    Skin that tater before replying
    Ramon Guest

  5. #5

    In article <supernews.com>,
    "Ramon L. Tate" <net> wrote:

    > Where did you find this info, Michelle? I got a 1GHz SuperDrive eMac
    > this July, and I could find nothing in the supplied docs or on the Apple
    > website that described which systems could be set up to dual boot. I was
    > hoping to be able to do this, but I certainly need to know whether it is
    > a workable option before I wipe the hard drive and start over.[/ref]

    I got it from Steve Jobs; he said at MacWorld San Francisco that no Macs
    introduced in 2003 and later (including speed bumps of existing
    machines) will boot from OS 9 or earlier. However, there appears to be
    some machines introduced or speed bumped this year that do boot from OS
    9, which is why I said "you probably can't" instead of "you can't."

    If your eMac can boot from OS 9 now, then it should be able to boot from
    it after you wipe the drive and start over. The iMac I bought this
    March cannot boot from OS 9.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  6. #6

    "Ramon L. Tate" wrote:

    Check the Apple site again - they have a list of X-only
    machines at
    <
    George Guest

  7. #7

    In article <newsfeeds.com>,
    Orac <com> wrote:

    > > No. 10.2 can be installed over any previous version, or even if OS X
    > > had never been installed.[/ref]
    >
    > Indeed. I would add the additional recommendation that he should do an
    > "Archive and install" in order to install a clean copy of 10.2, rather
    > than simply updating the existing copy of 10.1. Always a better thing to
    > do, in my experience.[/ref]

    Thanks. That's what I was planning to do, although I've read a
    number of comments from people who said that installing over the old
    system worked fine.
    Is the "archive and install" a lot of extra work compared to the
    other? I've got two machines that I'm trying to get up to speed in OSX
    (along with trying to get some real work done in between) and it's
    proving to be very time consuming.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  8. #8

    In article <1g0juyp.1gatc9w10x0898N%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > Yes, it often works fine, but the likelihood of avoiding problems is
    > higher using archive and install.[/ref]

    I was reading Pogue's Missing Manual about this last night and he
    says the archive and install option cannot be used to upgrade from 10.1
    to 10.2. You have to use the upgrade option. However, he suggests
    immediately doing an archive and install after the upgrade install in
    order to get a clean copy.
    If I have to do a "dirty" install first anyway, is there any reason
    not to just go with it unless I start running into problem behaviours?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  9. #9

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Yes, it often works fine, but the likelihood of avoiding problems is
    higher using archive and install.

    No.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  10. #10

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    He's incorrect, though. I've used the archive and install option every
    time I've upgraded a client's machine from 10.1.x to 10.2.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  11. #11

    In article <ODo4b.1277$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    > > Yes, it often works fine, but the likelihood of avoiding problems is
    > > higher using archive and install.[/ref]
    >
    > I was reading Pogue's Missing Manual about this last night and he
    > says the archive and install option cannot be used to upgrade from 10.1
    > to 10.2. You have to use the upgrade option. However, he suggests
    > immediately doing an archive and install after the upgrade install in
    > order to get a clean copy.[/ref]

    If he said that, he's wrong. I used the "Archive and Install" option to
    upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2.

    It probably won't hurt.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
    | inconvenience me with questions?"
    Orac Guest

  12. #12

    In article <1g0m36w.42f5jcqj2bcwN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > It just occurred to me that, back when Jaguar was first released, some
    > Macs shipped with 10.1 installed and Jaguar upgrade discs included.
    > _Those_ Jaguar discs could only be installed over 10.1, with no archive
    > and install option. Perhaps that's what he was referring to. Perhaps
    > not. In any case, the retail Jaguar discs have always provided that
    > option.[/ref]

    Again, I'm going on memory but I'm pretty sure he didn't make such
    a distinction. It was a flat statement that the upgrade option was the
    only one that would work -- in italics, if I recall correctly.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  13. #13

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    I always liked reading Pogue's columns when he wrote for Macworld, but
    over the years I've had clients mention tidbits from his books that are
    simply not correct or just kind of weird. For example, more than one
    person has told me he wrote that there's only one correct way to shut
    down a Mac running OS 9 and earlier, despite Apple providing several
    ways. Now, if he said that in his opinion one is preferable and gave
    reasons why he thought so, that would be one thing, but that wasn't the
    case.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  15. #15

    In article <1g0m36w.42f5jcqj2bcwN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > It just occurred to me that, back when Jaguar was first released, some
    > Macs shipped with 10.1 installed and Jaguar upgrade discs included.
    > _Those_ Jaguar discs could only be installed over 10.1, with no archive
    > and install option. Perhaps that's what he was referring to. Perhaps
    > not. In any case, the retail Jaguar discs have always provided that
    > option.[/ref]

    I think you're right...I started a post earlier today speculating about
    that, but decided it had too much hand-waving, and so deleted it,
    unsent. When Jaguar first came out, I believe there were a lot of "yes
    you can" "no you can't" threads about the Archive and Install option,
    but I'm not about to google for them!

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

  16. #16

    Steiner <org> wrote:

    > > Where did you find this info, Michelle? I got a 1GHz SuperDrive eMac
    > > this July, and I could find nothing in the supplied docs or on the Apple
    > > website that described which systems could be set up to dual boot. I was
    > > hoping to be able to do this, but I certainly need to know whether it is
    > > a workable option before I wipe the hard drive and start over.[/ref]
    >
    > I got it from Steve Jobs; he said at MacWorld San Francisco that no Macs
    > introduced in 2003 and later (including speed bumps of existing
    > machines) will boot from OS 9 or earlier. However, there appears to be
    > some machines introduced or speed bumped this year that do boot from OS
    > 9, which is why I said "you probably can't" instead of "you can't."
    >
    > If your eMac can boot from OS 9 now, then it should be able to boot from
    > it after you wipe the drive and start over. The iMac I bought this
    > March cannot boot from OS 9.
    >
    > --Michelle[/ref]

    I believe that eMacs are excluded from the list of machines that will
    only boot OS X.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  17. #17

    In article <060920031315106653%net>,
    Cathy Stevenson <net> wrote:

    I thinkt that's only the eMacs without a superdrive: e.g., with a CDROM
    or Combo drive.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest