Professional Web Applications Themes

Upgrading from 9.04 - Mac Applications & Software

I own an iMac special edition 500mhz 30GB which I bought new 2000. It came with os 9.04 and now I need to upgrade the os because I bought an all in one tool which needs one of these os 9.2.2 / 10.1.5 / 10.2.3 (USB port) I wonder what is the cheapest and easiest way to make necessary upgrade, how do I do it, how do I make this safely and should I avoid any of those os I mentioned above because of bugs or anything you know about. I have never upgraded before and I need to be ...

  1. #1

    Default Upgrading from 9.04

    I own an iMac special edition 500mhz 30GB which I bought new 2000. It
    came with os 9.04 and now I need to upgrade the os because I bought
    an all in one tool which needs one of these os 9.2.2 / 10.1.5 /
    10.2.3 (USB port)

    I wonder what is the cheapest and easiest way to make necessary
    upgrade, how do I do it, how do I make this safely and should I
    avoid any of those os I mentioned above because of bugs or anything
    you know about.

    I have never upgraded before and I need to be spoonfed by step by step
    method and be warned about all thinkable dangers making this
    upgrade.

    Please help,

    Nimlot
    Nimlot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Upgrading from 9.04

    >I own an iMac special edition 500mhz 30GB which I bought new 2000. It

    The upgrade to 9.2.2 is free.

    You download the 9.1 updater from Apple's Web site and run it. Then download
    the 9.2 updater, then the 9.2.2 updater, and run each of them.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    The 9.1 updater is not available on line and never was. It was too
    large to download, so Apple distributed it via CD through dealerships
    for free, or for $19.95 by mail.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  4. #4

    In <west.cox.net> Michelle Steiner
    wrote:

    > The 9.1 updater is not available on line and never was. It was too
    > large to download, so Apple distributed it via CD through dealerships
    > for free, or for $19.95 by mail.
    >
    > --Michelle[/ref]

    I believe you're thinking of the 10.1 update. The 9.1 update is
    available for download from Apple <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.
    html?artnum=75103>. It is large though, about 71MB for the English
    version.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Guest

  5. #5

    In article <20030909201803937+inv.ihug.co.nz>,
    Roger Johnstone <co.nz> wrote:

    You're right; I had a brain . My bad.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  6. #6

    > The upgrade to 9.2.2 is free.

    Great news!!! Thanks a million

    Do I need to make a backup copy of programs I've installed into my
    computer before and after each update? I'm talking about extra
    programs I've installed like RealAudio, Windows Media Player, game
    programs and most importantly images and texts which I have created
    and are on the hard disc.

    What do you mean exactly when you talk about running each of the
    updates?

    I also wonder if I can download from either the os 9.04 disc or one of
    the updates you mention above a language tool which makes me able to
    view texts of foreign languages. I've noticed that special letters in
    languages I'm able to read do appear all mixed up and unreadable when
    using my current os (9.04) and/or current setting.

    I'm sorry to have to ask you about this. Don't bother to answer if
    you don't have the time and/or the energy to do so.

    Thanks,

    Nimlot
    Nimlot Guest

  7. #7

    Nimlot wrote:

    > Great news!!! Thanks a million

    > Do I need to make a backup copy of programs I've installed into my
    > computer before and after each update? I'm talking about extra
    > programs I've installed like RealAudio, Windows Media Player, game
    > programs and most importantly images and texts which I have created
    > and are on the hard disc.[/ref]

    You should back up your user data before you start, which you should do
    anyway frequently.

    You should have the application programs on their original install
    disks, or as software equivalents, so that you can install them if
    needed. however, you do not have to use them for the upgrade unless
    something goes wrong.

    Each updater begins with an installation program. You run that program.

    It is normally a good idea to boot the computer from some other disk
    besides the one you are updating, such as a CD. It can be the 9.0.4 CD
    that came with the machine. You will be updating the OS on the hard
    drive; it does not care what OS the machine is running on.

    Bill
    B Guest

  8. #8

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Nimlot) wrote:

    No, you shouldn't need to update them, but if there are updates
    available, you should most likely update them anyway.

    You update incrementally; OS 9.0.4 to OS 9.1 to OS 9.2 to OS 9.2.2

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest