Professional Web Applications Themes

upgrading from DW4 to DW MX - Macromedia Dreamweaver

hi, ill be doing two things - getting a new pc and upgrading from DW4 to MX. My questions are - 1. previous websites that ive created with DW4, will there be any compatibility issues if i begin using them in MX? 2. how do i copy over all the extentions without doing each one individually? do i use the import function? 3. how do i copy over all the "defined sites" settings? Please feel free to add any "gotchas" if you forsee any in my case Thank you all in advance for your help. : ))...

  1. #1

    Default upgrading from DW4 to DW MX

    hi,

    ill be doing two things - getting a new pc and upgrading from DW4 to MX. My
    questions are -

    1. previous websites that ive created with DW4, will there be any
    compatibility issues if i begin using them in MX?
    2. how do i copy over all the extentions without doing each one
    individually? do i use the import function?
    3. how do i copy over all the "defined sites" settings?

    Please feel free to add any "gotchas" if you forsee any in my case

    Thank you all in advance for your help.
    : ))

    PeterC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: upgrading from DW4 to DW MX

    Peter:
    > 1. previous websites that ive created with DW4, will there be any
    > compatibility issues if i begin using them in MX?
    There could be if you have used Templates. On an as needed basis, you would
    be well advised to upgrade them to DMX syntax level (there is a tutorial for
    how to do this on our book's companion site -
    [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url]). Be aware that once you have done
    this, your templates will not work in DW4.

    In addition, if you will continue to use DW4 as well as DMX, there might be
    other problems lurking for you.
    > 2. how do i copy over all the extentions without doing each one
    > individually? do i use the import function?
    Be careful - very careful. Many DW4 extensions are not compatible with DMX.
    Verify version and compatibility before installing any, and do it one by
    one.
    [url]http://navbars.net/nav/navbar_resources.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.joexx.de/DW-Exporter/index_en.php[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "PeterC" <peterchaigamebox.net> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > ill be doing two things - getting a new pc and upgrading from DW4 to MX.
    My
    > questions are -
    >
    > 1. previous websites that ive created with DW4, will there be any
    > compatibility issues if i begin using them in MX?
    > 2. how do i copy over all the extentions without doing each one
    > individually? do i use the import function?
    > 3. how do i copy over all the "defined sites" settings?
    >
    > Please feel free to add any "gotchas" if you forsee any in my case
    >
    > Thank you all in advance for your help.
    > : ))

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:56:08 +0800, "PeterC" <peterchaigamebox.net>
    wrote:
    >ill be doing two things - getting a new pc and upgrading from DW4 to MX. My
    >questions are -
    >
    >1. previous websites that ive created with DW4, will there be any
    >compatibility issues if i begin using them in MX?
    It's just HTML. There shouldn't be any real problems. The MX template
    syntax is slightly different, so I'd suggest you convert any templates
    to the MX syntax. See
    [url]http://dreamweavermx-templates.com/tutorials/tutupdate.cfm[/url].
    >2. how do i copy over all the extentions without doing each one
    >individually? do i use the import function?
    A good many DW4 extensions are not MX compatible. My best advice would
    be to go back where you got them and check to see if you can locate
    and download an MX version of any extension before installing any of
    them.
    >3. how do i copy over all the "defined sites" settings?
    Go to [url]http://navbars.net/nav/navbar_resources.htm[/url] to get utilities to
    export your site definitions from the old machine and import them into
    the new one.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  4. #4

    Gary:
    > The MX template
    > syntax is slightly different
    Slightly?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  5. #5

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:23:46 -0400, "Murray *TMM*"
    <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
    >> The MX template
    >> syntax is slightly different
    >
    >Slightly?
    The functionality that was available in DW4 is implemented using
    "slightly" different syntax. A DWMX template that makes use of the
    expanded functionality of MX will be monstrously different. ;-)

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:22:30 +0800, "PeterC" <peterchaigamebox.net>
    wrote:
    >Thanks for the useful replies.
    >
    >I have some templates which I use thru out my site and with extensions not
    >compatible from DW4 to MX, I think I will just stick with DW4. Just too
    >afraid to upgrade. Why doesnt Macromedia makes it friendly? *sigh*
    >
    >Oh well...Thanks a whole bunch for your answers!
    You're welcome. I cannot speak for MM because I'm just a user like
    you. Of course, it's your choice whether or not you upgrade. If you're
    happy with DW4 and it does everything you want, then there's no real
    reason to upgrade. However, if you do any dynamic sites, any server
    side coding, or database work, the upgrade is well worth it. Good luck
    with whatever you choose.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest