Professional Web Applications Themes

Upgrading on CS Suite .. an all or nothing deal? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I have not been able to get to the pdf to read all the infomation about the CS Suite, but have a question. As I understand it, if one were to upgrade (for instance) their PS7 for the CS Suite of products, later when an upgrade is announced (say IL), collection owners would be required to upgrade the ENTIRE COLLECTION and not just one component of that collection? Please, say it isn't so!! For instance, lets say I get the Premium Edition and find that while I enjoy using ID and GL, I find the only product that I am ...

  1. #1

    Default Upgrading on CS Suite .. an all or nothing deal?

    I have not been able to get to the pdf to read all the infomation about the CS Suite, but have a question. As I understand it, if one were to upgrade (for instance) their PS7 for the CS Suite of products, later when an upgrade is announced (say IL), collection owners would be required to upgrade the ENTIRE COLLECTION and not just one component of that collection? Please, say it isn't so!!

    For instance, lets say I get the Premium Edition and find that while I enjoy using ID and GL, I find the only product that I am interested in upgrading is IL. Will I be FORCED to buy the newer version of the Suite in order to only get the newest version of IL?
    Grass_Hopper@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Upgrading on CS Suite .. an all or nothing deal?

    What makes you think that??

    AFIAK you'll be able to upgrade products individually as you've always been able to with collections.
    Robert_Blackwell™@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I have not been able to get to the pdf to read all the infomation about
    the CS Suite, but have a question.

    Some PDF features require Adobe Reader 6.
    r_harvey@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If I could access the silly pdf file I would read it for myself, but there seems to be a problem in accessing it. Maybe too many people trying to get the file? In any case, it has been suggested to me that you will not be able to upgrade a first version product, if you purchsed it within the collection setup, without purchasing the entirely upgraded collection. I just want clarification on that point.

    I was giving serious consideration to purchasing the collection, but I will not if they tie my hands for later upgrades. I might have the money to buy a collection now, but that in no way guarantees that I will have it later. Not only that, I might find that a component within the collection might not be as useful to me as I thought and I would hate to be FORECED to upgrade it too because it came with the collection.
    Grass_Hopper@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    That sounds pretty rediculous to me. Unless it's changed in the new CS series, you will be able to upgrade individual titles. You've been misinformed, but you can always call Adobe to double check :)
    Robert_Blackwell™@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Robert,

    I am thinking that it *has* changed in the CS format ... that's why I want clarification :)

    I was hoping someone "in the know" would come in here and give this grasshopper have a little more knowledge ;)
    Grass_Hopper@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    That sounds pretty rediculous to me. Unless it's changed in the new CS
    series, you will be able to upgrade individual titles. You've been misinformed,
    but you can always call Adobe to double check

    No need to call Adobe (Page 4 at the bottom): <http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/pdfs/creativesuite_faq.pdf>

    Once you have purchased the CS you are locked into upgrading the whole thing, and cannot do individual upgrades.
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    That's a bad idea. Locking the customers into collection upgrades, especially if they don't *need* the other products just isn't right.

    Adobe, what are you thinking?

    I will tell you this, I won't be buying the collections. I'll not be locked into that sort of upgrade scheme.
    Grass_Hopper@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Robert already pointed out the following factoid (from the PDF) in the GoLive forum but it is worth mentioning again.

    With CS, Adobe has completely abandoned their up-to-now excellent practice of including printed user guides for each app. Now, you have to pay an extra 'fee' to get the manuals. The user guides were always something I thought helped set Adobe above the competition. Even the recently released Video Collection includes user guides so why this sudden change? I guess that helps explain their generous offer of free shipping. How much could it cost to send five CDs and a flimsy 'integration guide'?

    I have already cancelled my upgrade order due to this fact. Others probably could care less but I like the manuals (and the ability to read them anywhere, anytime I want). I think it is an unfortunate oversight or, perhaps, another grab for extra money from the users.

    Jake
    Jake_Hannam@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    From the FAQ
    <http://www.adobe.com/products/colltech/pdfs/coll_eol_ctg_092903.pdf>

    Photoshop CS with ImageReady CS, Illustrator CS, InDesign CS, GoLive CS and Acrobat 6.0 Professional area all still available for standalone licensing, as new products or as upgrades.

    But

    Customers who license the Adobe Creative Suite will have an upgrade path to future releases of Adobe Creative Suite, but not from the suite to standalone products.

    So you cannot currently do what you suggest, GH. However, I would like to hear from someone at Adobe justify this, because it seems pretty silly to me. If you have bought the suite, but decide not to use any of the other programs, then you should be able to upgrade to PS 9 when it comes out.

    I think if you upgrade to the Premium version, you should be able to later upgrade to the Standard version (but not the opposite, unless for a higher fee).

    The cost for an full suite upgrade is pricy, almost as much as some of the components cost new, so I can see why one might hold off on buying the suite if you don't use all the tools.
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Ouch! How did so many bad ideas get rolled into one release?

    I use my Adobe manuals -- the paper books -- for reference all the time. I'd be pretty frustrated without them.

    And not letting people upgrade individual products if they buy into the suite?

    Ommmmm ...... (Gotta do something to calm my mind.)
    John_Spragens@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Never mind. I'm gonna have to write faster.
    r_harvey@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Wow, I'm glad you guys clarified that one. I don't really know what to say :X

    I wonder how this is gonna pan out. I was planning on waiting till around Christmas to "upgrade" and I guess I better not sell my Design Collection so I can upgrade individually off of that incase I do get the ACS. I guess anyone who uses Acrobat is gonna end up getting Premium since it wouldn't be worth it to get standard and buy/upgrade Acrobat separately.

    My guess Carol, is that CS2 products will know a CS1 serial number and refuse to install because it wasn't a stand a lone retail version.
    Robert_Blackwell™@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I don't see why you would not be able to upgrade one of the existing
    stand alone products which you already have. Simply put the upgrade CD
    in the drawer and when it asks for the older version to cofirm you are a
    registered user, simply use PS7 as proof of ownership.

    Admittedly, this would be more difficult (or impossible) if you want to
    upgrade one of the products which you have in the Suite which you didn't
    own prior to purchasing the Suite.
    --

    Carol
    (Posted from the UK)

    Carol_Steele@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Hi Carol,

    Admittedly, this would be more difficult (or impossible) if you want to upgrade one of the products which you have in the Suite which you didn't own prior to purchasing the Suite.

    Which is my very point. I don't have all the products in the Suite, which is what makes it so tempting, but not at the cost of the upgrade format.
    Grass_Hopper@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Well I only use photoshop and Acrobat; I was considering CS suite since there may be some functionality there that we could use. But it sounds like a bad investment unless you know you will use all of them.

    Also, the presents another problem. That means that all products in the suite will have to have a new feature set each time they announce an upgrade, whether it's ready or not for an upgrade. So, PS 8 has all kinds of whirly dirly's but Acrobat may be a "yawn" of an upgrade because it had to be ready when the PS upgrade was ready. Users won't have the choice of saying "ya know, Acrobat is just fine for what we need now, no reason to upgrade it".

    Hmm...
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    How did so many bad ideas get rolled into one release?

    I was wondering the exact same thing. Sounds like too many lawyers and marketing folks sitting in on the product meetings.
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    <nodding>

    The only thing is, the new feature set is pretty damn compelling. It's just going to cost us an arm and a leg, between OS upgrades and software upgrades... I'm beginning to wonder now.
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Okay, now the real question from me then is: Can I upgrade to ACS from PS 2.5? :o)
    Robert_Blackwell™@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Or how about from PSE?
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest