Professional Web Applications Themes

UPS systems Mac compatible? - Mac Applications & Software

I'm planning to buy a UPS system and I've narrowed it down to the Belkin 350 or APC 350 or 500. MacWarehouse lists both as being Mac compatible but when I read the specs, OSX is not listed under system requirements. I presume this means that the software is no good for Macs, but I can still plug my Macs in and have them protected. Am I right about this? Is there a particular advantage to being able to use the software and, if so, is there a good UPS system that has Mac-compatible software? Thanks for any help -- ...

  1. #1

    Default UPS systems Mac compatible?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: UPS systems Mac compatible?

    In article <hO16b.22590$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    The APC Back-UPS CS 350 works very well with my G4 800 running OS X.

    Also, it may help if you download the latest Powerchute software from
    www.apc.com

    Regards,
    Jim
    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Go to the <http://www.belkin.com> or <http://www.apcc.com> and download
    the free OS X versions of Belkin's Bulldog or APC's PowerChute software.
    There is also a third-party shareware package for OS X called
    PowerGuardian <http://www.benatong.com> that works with most UPS makes
    and models.

    The software is optional. Its principal function is to perform an
    orderly shutdown of an unattended computer during a power failure, on
    signal from the UPS via USB, serial line, or Ethernet, before the UPS
    itself has to shut down because its battery runs down. In addition, some
    of the software packages also monitor, test, or configure the UPS.

    If you regularly put your Mac to sleep when it is unattended, you might
    actually prefer to use the UPS ~without~ the software and USB
    connection, as Macs can sleep through all but the longest power outages
    when powered by a 500VA UPS, whereas the UPS must actually wake a
    sleeping Mac in order to shut it down.

    If you want to use the software with OS X, be sure that the UPS model
    you buy has a USB and not just a serial interface. (I suspect that the
    350VA Belkin model you're looking at has only a serial connector.)

    FWIW, I have used several different APC models and a Belkin Regulator
    Gold 650, and I prefer the Belkin.
    Neill Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <columbus.rr.com>,
    Jim Schwartz <net> wrote:

    > The APC Back-UPS CS 350 works very well with my G4 800 running OS X.[/ref]

    Thanks. I looked at this one too, but the tech support guy I talked
    to suggested it might not be sufficient. He recommended that I go to the
    APC500.
    I'll mainly be using it with an eMac (G4) 700. This is probably
    less demanding than yours, yet you find the 350 sufficient. How much
    time does the UPS give you to shut down? As I understand it, the 500
    (and maybe the 350 too) only provides a little over a minute.

    I went to the site but didn't want to download it yet (I'll wait to
    see what software comes with the unit). I wanted to see exactly what the
    software does, but they won't even let me read the read-me without
    registering.
    The tech support guy said the software can be used to shut down the
    computer when you're away from it. When I'm not using them, I leave my
    machines asleep (unless I'm going to be away for a long time) so I want
    to make sure they're protected in the sleep state as well.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g0t8sb.f6fke91mn9wsgN%net>,
    net (Neill Massello) wrote:

    Thanks for the information about the software.
    My machines are indeed usually asleep when I'm not using them. A
    tech support guy at MacWarehouse told me that I should use the software
    for shutting down the computers when they're unattended, but maybe he
    meant if they're *awake* and unattended. He didn't make that distinction
    and I'm not sure I told him that my machines are usually alseep if I'm
    not there.
    So your recommendation would be just to plug the computers in and
    leave the software out of it?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  6. #6

    In article <hO16b.22590$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    If you don't have the right software, the UPS will still provide some
    protection against brief power failures. Software allows the UPS to
    tell the computer about the power failure so it can save files and shut
    down properly, instead of losing power abruptly when the UPS runs out of
    juice.

    I've never used a Belkin or APC UPS with a Mac, so I can't tell you
    whether they'll work with Mac OS X. I'm using an MGS Ellipse 800
    (www.mgeups.com), which works fine with Mac OS X on my G4.

    You need to be more specific about which UPS's you're considering. Both
    Belkin and APC have several different models with 350VA and 500VA power
    ratings. For example, APC has BF350, BK350, BK350U, etc.

    APC's web site has a Mac compatibility chart:
    <http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid
    =2447>

    I couldn't find any Mac compatibility info on Belkin's web site, but I
    didn't look very hard.
    Wayne Guest

  7. #7

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    I haven't bothered with the software, myself.

    However, when my desktop machine is asleep during a power hit, it almost
    always wakes up. I guess there's enough difference between the mains power
    and the battery power from the UPS to do something to the machine. On a
    couple of occasions, the difference was enough to crash the machine on the
    spot, neatly defeating the purpose of the UPS. This has only ever happened
    to me with my Powermac G4; my other computers have never had any trouble
    (but they also don't sleep).

    If you use the software, the USB signal from the UPS will probably wake up
    the sleeping Mac upon power loss in any case.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  8. #8

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Well, if your power doesn't routinely go down for hours at a time and
    you are good about remembering to put your Mac to sleep, I think it's
    pretty safe to use the UPS without the software. Just remember that if
    you don't use the software, do ~not~ connect the UPS to the Mac with the
    USB cable. Otherwise, the UPS will wake your sleeping Mac when the power
    goes down and just leave it running.

    Also be aware that some peripherals, such as Harman Kardon SoundSticks,
    generate a signal on the USB line when powered on that will wake a
    sleeping Mac. If those peripherals aren't also on the battery side of
    the UPS, they will wake your Mac when the power comes back up after a
    blackout. If the power then goes out again when you aren't there, the
    UPS battery could go dead while the Mac running.
    Neill Guest

  9. #9

    In article <fk66b.3665$bellglobal.com>, dotlyc
    <ca> wrote:

    > > The APC Back-UPS CS 350 works very well with my G4 800 running OS X.[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks. I looked at this one too, but the tech support guy I talked
    > to suggested it might not be sufficient. He recommended that I go to the
    > APC500.
    > I'll mainly be using it with an eMac (G4) 700. This is probably
    > less demanding than yours, yet you find the 350 sufficient. How much
    > time does the UPS give you to shut down? As I understand it, the 500
    > (and maybe the 350 too) only provides a little over a minute.[/ref]

    Having recently survived the great eastern power outage, I can tell you
    that the APC 350 works great. I have one for my TV, cable modem, router
    and Airport, and a second one for my iMac, printer, USB hub. Wondered
    for a minute why the cable went out on the TV but everything else
    seemed to be working. (I have my dense moments.) When I realized that
    the power was out, I waited a couple of minutes to see if it would come
    back on. We had been experiencing power blinks for a couple of weeks. I
    finally saved the stuff I had been working on, quit the open apps and
    did a normal shut-down. Everything was running for several minutes
    before I shut down, and I didn't get any low batt warnings. My
    understanding is that the 350 will give you at least 5 minutes,
    depending on how much is attached and running. I've heard some
    complaints about the software, but I've never had a problem with it.
    Phyllis Guest

  10. #10

    dotlyc <ca> writes:

    I don't know about the Belkin models, but APC supports MacOS with
    most of the current models. You should check out thie page from
    their knowledgebase:

    http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2447

    Not all of their UPS's are compatible with all Macs, but most of the
    modern ones are. APC's UPS's have many different kinds of interfaces
    for power management - some use USB, some use serial, and some have a
    custom connector. Depending on what kind of Mac you have and what
    model UPS you're getting will determine what kind of cable you need.
    If your UPS isn't listed, then you can't use power management.

    As for OS X software, there is the PowerChute Personal Edition, which
    is a free download.

    You don't need the software to use the UPS. Just plug the Mac into
    one of the outlets on the back. You'll get power protection, but no
    management.

    When you attach the Mac to the UPS's management port and run the
    software, then you can use the power management capabilities.
    Specifically, the Mac will monitor the UPS for things like whether
    you're on line power or batteries, how much power is left in the
    batteries, how much load is on the unit, and possibly other things.
    You can configure it to automatically do a graceful shutdown during a
    power outage when the batteries run low - which is a really useful
    thing.

    As useful as power management is, however, it is not necessary. If
    you don't have it, everything will still work normally. The UPS will
    still provide power protection. But if you have a long outage and
    the batteries run down, MacOS won't run the shutdown facility -
    instead, it will just lose power, which is not good. It's better
    than not having a UPS at all, since you can ride out shorter outages
    and you can manually do a shutdown (if you're present during the
    outage) but it's definitely better to have power management in order
    to automate this.

    -- David
    David Guest

  11. #11

    Jeremy <com> writes:

    If you have a powered USB hub, it will send a low-voltage warning to
    the computer when power is lost (unless you also plug the hub into
    the UPS). That may well wake up the computer.

    -- David
    David Guest

  12. #12

    In article
    <wp.shawcable.net>,
    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> wrote:

    This was very useful. I'm looking at the APC BE350U or BE500U. I
    think the 350 would be sufficient for my needs. I'm planning to plug an
    eMac, a USB hub and a white Airport base station into the power plugs
    and an iBook into a surge suppressor plug. Would the 500 be better for
    that many devices?

    Another poster mentioned there is Belkin software for OSX called
    Bulldog but I couldn't find anything about it on the Belkin web site or
    by Googling. They have something called Bulldog Security Kit, but that's
    a security cable.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  13. #13

    In article <1g0tl18.ek7j051wn0bpcN%net>,
    net (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > Well, if your power doesn't routinely go down for hours at a time and
    > you are good about remembering to put your Mac to sleep, I think it's
    > pretty safe to use the UPS without the software.[/ref]

    I am pretty consistent in putting my machines to sleep when they're
    unattended. As for power outages, my power hasn't routinely gone down
    for hours in the past, but I was a victim of the recent great blackout
    in eastern North America, so I'm not complaisant about the future.
    That's what prompted me to finally get a UPS and I'd like to configure
    it to protect my machines under similar cirstances in the future.

    I have a powered USB hub, so I guess that should be plugged into
    one of the power plugs on the UPS.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  14. #14

    In article <050920032008124302%mac.com>,
    Phyllis Evans <mac.com> wrote:

    > > Thanks. I looked at this one too, but the tech support guy I talked
    > > to suggested it might not be sufficient. He recommended that I go to the
    > > APC500.
    > > I'll mainly be using it with an eMac (G4) 700. This is probably
    > > less demanding than yours, yet you find the 350 sufficient. How much
    > > time does the UPS give you to shut down? As I understand it, the 500
    > > (and maybe the 350 too) only provides a little over a minute.[/ref]
    >
    > Having recently survived the great eastern power outage, I can tell you
    > that the APC 350 works great. I have one for my TV, cable modem, router
    > and Airport, and a second one for my iMac, printer, USB hub. ...[/ref]

    I was caught by the blackout too. Fortunately, only the iBook was
    running at the time, although the eMac was sleeping. Do you think a
    single 350 can handle an eMac, a powered USB hub and an Airport base
    station in the powered plugs and the iBook in one of the other plugs? Or
    should I go to the 500 for that many devices?

    I recall reading some specs that said it provided only about a
    minute or so, which didn't seem like much. Five minutes would be fine
    for me to shut down all the programs.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  15. #15

    In article <invalid>, com (David C.)
    wrote:

    As I mentioned in another post, I was recently caught in the big
    blackout in eastern North America and that's one major reason I decided
    to get a UPS. We were out for 10 hours in my region (better than a lot
    of people but still...)
    I'd like to set up the UPS to protect my machines if something like
    this happens again, so it sounds like it would be best to run it with
    the software.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  16. #16

    In article <invalid>, David C. <com> wrote:

    I just installed an APC 1000VA unit and the PowerChute software on the G4
    in my office. I haven't gone through a long enough outage yet to get to
    the shutdown point (just a few brief flickers during a thunderstorm
    yesterday), but when I pull the plug from the wall, a dialog box pops up
    telling me that the power has gone off and the computer will shut down in
    37 minutes if the power doesn't come back on. A similar message also
    appears on any Terminal windows that I have open.

    It seems, though, that the shutdown will be graceful only for Mac
    applications and (i'm guessing here) Unix software that handle "kill"
    signals gracefully. I'm running some server software that should be shut
    down using a specified procedure that is normally taken care of
    automatically on system shutdown (on other Unix systsms) by using an
    rc.init file or something similar. OS X doesn't seem to have anything
    like the StartupItems mechanism that runs at system shutdown.

    --
    Jon Bell <edu> Presbyterian College
    Jon Guest

  17. #17

    In article <bjbl1b$6hj$presby.edu>,
    Jon Bell <edu> wrote:

    Aha! Looking more closely at some StartupItems reveals that they do have
    shutdown functionality. The one for Apache should serve as a good
    model for what I need. I'm hacking away on a copy of it right
    now, and will install it in /Library/StartupItems when it's ready to go.

  18. #18

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Check the runtime estimates for the different models at APC's web site.
    Mactracker says that the power rating for the eMac 700 is 170 Watts. A
    Back-UPS Pro 500 (one of the wedge-shaped models) should run that eMac
    for ~at least~ five minutes, and probably closer to ten.
    Neill Guest

  19. #19

    Jon Bell <edu> wrote:

    Careful with that; many of the scripts are written for a *nonexistent*
    shutdown script facility. Unless they've added it very recently, the
    scripts are not run at shutdown time.

    This is a *huge* deficiency in OS X, and is the main reason I don't find
    it suitable for running servers.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest