Professional Web Applications Themes

URGENT! Duotone Print Problem - Macromedia Freehand

I have imported two dutone eps files from Photoshop into a Freehand 9 doent. The duotones have exactly the same colour and transfer settings. When I print the doent to a Canon CLC printer, one of the duotones printa as expected, while the other prints too dark. I've tried just about everything, but to no avail. The duotones are pasted inside paths, and I wonder if there's a bug that causes this. Mitchino...

  1. #1

    Default URGENT! Duotone Print Problem

    mitchino webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: URGENT! Duotone Print Problem

    It seems it may be something to do with the way the duotone files are saved from Photoshop. If I save them with transfer function included, the problem occurs, one prints normally and the other too dark. If I save them without transfer function, both print too dark. So now I have consistency, but incorrect colour!

    mitchino webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Do u mean the freehand colour and your paste photoshop colour is different when you print them out?

    sleepygal webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    mitchino wrote:
    > It seems it may be something to do with the way the duotone files are saved
    > from Photoshop. If I save them with transfer function included, the problem
    > occurs, one prints normally and the other too dark. If I save them without
    > transfer function, both print too dark. So now I have consistency, but
    > incorrect colour!
    Transfer function is supposed to lighten or darken an image. It's like
    applying a gamma curve. Do you need it or don't you?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    "mitchino" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I have imported two dutone eps files from Photoshop into a Freehand 9 doent. The duotones have exactly the same colour and transfer settings. When I print the doent to a Canon CLC printer, one of the duotones printa as expected, while the other prints too dark. I've tried just about everything, but to no avail. The duotones are pasted inside paths, and I wonder if there's a bug that causes this.
    >
    > Mitchino

    I guess my question first would be why use duotones if you want to print
    to a composite colour printer? A duotone by its very nature is intended
    for 2-ink offset printing. If you want the 'look' of a dutone but are
    not intending to reproduce them using 2-ink printing, why not try
    converting them to cmyk & using them that way?

    Other things you don't proffer: how do the original duotones compare to
    each other in PShop? Are they the same tonally there to start with? In
    newsletters, etc. where I use lots of duotones, I find it necessary to
    adjust the ink curves for many of them individually in order to make
    them visually similar to other duotones appearing in the same
    publication. The function of a duotone is primarily to add tonal range &
    depth by "extending" the available tones using 2 inks, and not just a
    decorative touch. Predominantly darker pix will look quite different
    from average or predominantly light toned pix unless you tweak those ink
    curves.

    If you are using the Canon printer as a 'soft proofer' for a job
    intended for lith printing, you may be better off checking the duotones
    out of PShop to see how they are printing. Otherwise, maybe try turning
    off the FH color management & seeing if that makes a difference.

    As for transfer functions, in addition to Judy's comments about
    "lightening and darkening", I'd add that transfer functions are really
    designed to maintain custom tonal settings to compensate for dot
    gain/loss in various applications (one example being screen printing,
    such as for cd printing, where the screener specifies varying dot
    percentages for dots in various areas, like 83% instead of 90% shadow or
    17% instead of 10%, to compensate for screening-specific dot gain/loss
    in those areas.

    DS

    David Soltess Guest

  6. #6

    "mitchino" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > It seems it may be something to do with the way the duotone files are
    > saved from Photoshop. If I save them with transfer function included,
    > the problem occurs, one prints normally and the other too dark. If I
    > save them without transfer function, both print too dark. So now I
    > have consistency, but incorrect colour!

    We have doented an incompatibility between duotones saved from PS7
    and our Canon CLC / Fiery - the Canon is Pantone-certified, but only
    prints fairly accurate color from duotone EPSs saved from PS5; PS6 and 7
    both embed something in the EPS which causes the Canon to print incorrectly.

    As expected, both companies blame the other for the problem.

    Brian

    Brian Pylant Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Brian,

    I reckon it's a problem with the RIP on the Canon. Maybe you can help with my new problem - see today's postings.

    Mitch

    mitchino webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    "mitchino" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Thanks Brian,
    >
    > I reckon it's a problem with the RIP on the Canon.
    Actually I'm thinking the opposite -- the RIP has remained the same, but
    the version of Photoshop changed. In any event, there's definitely some
    incompatibility there, that no one wants to take credit for or help resolve.

    Brian Pylant Guest